• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

Heloanjin

pilot
If you have any flight experience, especially PPL or greater, let your command know. If you have the past experience, IFS won't help you in Primary, even if it's been a long time.

Don't worry about the possibility of being accelerated. Few Primary commands do it. A student is eligible for acceleration with prior flight time, but is only selected for acceleration if performance warrants it. If you are selected for acceleration but then performance begins to suffer, acceleration will stop and you'll do the remaining syllabus as a normal student.

Save your money and get your FAA certicate when you are winged. The civilian training won't be as usefull as you think. In fact, for many, it just gets in the way. If you go helos, you'll take a multiple choice test and walk away with: Commercial - Single Engine Land, Commercial - Helicopter, Instrument - Helicopter.

Heloanjin

pilot
You won't get Instrument - Airplane since your instrument check is done in a helo. If, however, you later fly fixed wing and do an instrument check, you can get Instrument - Airplane added on without taking any tests.

MasterBates

All the guys who got the equivalency test when I did got Instrument Helicopter and Instrument Airplane.

We did "Instrument Checkrides" in the T-34, but no cloud card issued. My I4590 in Intermediates (when it still existed) was worse than my RI-18X in Advanced.

The FAA used the Instrument Check in the 34 as the basis for issuing the Instrument-Airplane rating.

KBayDog

You won't get Instrument - Airplane since your instrument check is done in a helo. If, however, you later fly fixed wing and do an instrument check, you can get Instrument - Airplane added on without taking any tests.

I went through the standard IFS/API/VT/HT syllabus, with no civilian experience (other than IFS).

I have my card in front of me:

"Commercial Pilot.

Airplane Single Engine Land; Rotorcraft-Helicopter; Instrument Airplane and Helicopter"

Heloanjin

pilot
Oops. Sorry, you are right. I was looking at my current card that doesn't have Instrument - Airplane. I forgot that was taken off when I got my ATP.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
The fact that they can give you an NSS out of IFS is silly. The instructors evaluating you are lucky to have a hundred hours. Looking back on the program, it almost amazes me that there are not more accidents in civilian flight schools. There is just something different about learning to fly from a fleet pilot who does what you dream of, and has a hell of a lot more experience than you, and understands the navy's emphasis on safety and regulations. I'm sure the IFS principle works because it can remove students from the pipeline who are allergic to flying, and give the rest a little flying experience. I just wish it was administered in a more professional manner, and I don't think a gpa is the fix.

Heloanjin

pilot
Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the IFS instructors are all CFIs. To be a CFI you must have, at a minimum, a Commercial certificate, which requries 250 hours of flight experience.

MasterBates

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the IFS instructors are all CFIs. To be a CFI you must have, at a minimum, a Commercial certificate, which requries 250 hours of flight experience.

Just out of curiosity,

Back in the dark days before IFS, many of us winged with less than 250 hours.

When they took the equiv tests, they got COMM Rotor-Helo, ASEL, Inst Helo, Inst Airplane.

How did that work..

Oh, and the 250 for comm/CFI, I knew a LOT of guys who just flew sightseeing, and they log from startup to shutdown. I have met CFIs I would not let my ex fly with...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity,

Oh, and the 250 for comm/CFI, I knew a LOT of guys who just flew sightseeing, and they log from startup to shutdown. I have met CFIs I would not let my ex fly with...

Yeah but from everything you have said, unless they were 737-6 instructors, it wouldn't be an issue with the ex...;)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

If you do your flight training under Part 142 you can have your CFI in under 200 hours.

KSUFLY

pilot
Also in part 141...but as for the military to civilian, just check out FAR 61.73. Here it is for all of you too lazy to go look at it.

Heloanjin

pilot
If you do your flight training under Part 142 you can have your CFI in under 200 hours.

OK, to become a CFI under Part 61 you need 250 hours. Under Part 141 it is possible to become a CFI with less than 250 hours. I'm splitting hairs, but if someone gets their CFI under Part 141 they need 35 hours for Private, 35 hours for Instrument, 120 hours for Commercial, and 25 hours for CFI, for a total of 215 minimum. Can't seem to find any specific number in 14 CFR for Part 142.

I realize this isn't a great deal of experience when compared to the typical IP in CNATRA. A newly winged helo pilot walks across the stage with a little over 200 hours, and we don't generally consider them IP material yet.

However, don't sell the CFIs short. The certification check with the FAA is not a free ride. It is actually very rigorous. Those who pass are quite knowledgable and have good stick and rudder skills. While most are not seasoned aviators, they are fine at teaching the basics. We're just asking them to teach IFS students how to take off and land safely on a long paved runway in VMC, not get on the boat with pitch 5 roll 10 and 1/4 mile visibility.

Most importantly, these CFIs aren't deciding if the student has what it takes to be a Naval aviator. The Navy can take care of that. IFS primarily tries to screen out the students who would DOR the first few flights of Primary because they just don't like to fly. Yes, there are actually some people out there who don't like to do this, God help them.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, there are actually some people out there who don't like to do this, God help them.

Hey, that's just less competition to worry about. Think about that... those are the ones who aren't going to be asking about their NSS, or what percentage get jets. I love IFS and the "Our Mission is Attrition" attitude. ;)

KSUFLY

pilot
OK, to become a CFI under Part 61 you need 250 hours. Under Part 141 it is possible to become a CFI with less than 250 hours. I'm splitting hairs, but if someone gets their CFI under Part 141 they need 35 hours for Private, 35 hours for Instrument, 120 hours for Commercial, and 25 hours for CFI, for a total of 215 minimum. Can't seem to find any specific number in 14 CFR for Part 142.

Heloanjin...you need to realize that those are cummulative. Your time for you private and instrument count towards your commercial. You don't need an additional 120 hours for your commercial. I think I got mine with around 130 hours but I'd have to check my log book for that and it's 800 miles away.