• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Not if he doesn't tell them he has a ppl. We had several guys that had them and still did it. They just didn't say anything about it.

I have heard that they check with the faa to see if you got a ppl or not. Pretty obvious, if you are one and lie about it, you get cut from the navy. Another way IFS weeds out people.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have heard that they check with the faa to see if you got a ppl or not. Pretty obvious, if you are one and lie about it, you get cut from the navy. Another way IFS weeds out people.

As the once poor stashed Ensign in the IFS office for the very first IFS class, I can tell you that one of my "jobs" was to go online and check to see if the students had a PPC (or PPL as you all call it). I'll second Skidkid's recommendation to play it RIGHT.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
As the once poor stashed Ensign in the IFS office for the very first IFS class, I can tell you that one of my "jobs" was to go online and check to see if the students had a PPC (or PPL as you all call it). I'll second Skidkid's recommendation to play it RIGHT.

Does private pilot glider count?

MasterBates

Yep, and they checked again when I checked into primary.

Lets just say being accellerated was not all that much fun when you have not flown in almost 3 years...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
If you really wanna game the system, either pay for your own lessons (prior to solo) before IFS, or go ahead and get your PPL after IFS (the 25 hours count toward your PPL).

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
This is (still) the most retarded idea, but it keeps coming up on here. I'll have to find out if there's any truth to this rumor.

If you're referring to the NSS, what they told us when we checked into IFS just before xmas was that they'd start keeping track of our scores in IFS, and give us an NSS for IFS, not integrate IFS scoring into anything else. From what the LT giving the brief said, its currently just ideas being tossed around on what to do with it, everything from setting a "passing score" at IFS to just identifying people who may have issues with future evolutions.

Of course, this also leads into standardizing the way IFS is taught, both between schools and setting up the SNFO IFS curriculum to be remotely measurable (unlike the SNA version which has stage checks, etc). I do not envy the person who gets to figure all that out.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Off topic, but I love the avatar, Fezz. I can't get that song out of my head.
Step one...cut a hole in a box.

haha. thanks. i totally stole it off some dude on myspace. i dont know why, but the censored version is so much more funnier than the uncensored. i guess it has something to do with all the bleeps. "Kwanza...d!ck in a box....Hannakah.....d!ck in a box..." Friggin hilarious.

KBayDog

If you really wanna game the system, either pay for your own lessons (prior to solo) before IFS, or go ahead and get your PPL after IFS (the 25 hours count toward your PPL).

If you really wanna game the system, save your money, wait until you earn your wings, pay the $90 or whatever is the going rate at the time, and take the FAA 50-question multiple-choice exam (total time: ~15 mins). You'll get commercial and instrument ratings in whatever kind of aircraft on which you trained, and not have to subsist on ramen noodles in the process. (Search around the site for all the technical mumbo-jumbo on what specific ratings you get.)

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
IFS Website

https://ifs.cnet.navy.mil/ifscode/default.cfm

The U. S. Navy's IFS Program utilizes FAR Part 141 certified pilot schools in the Annapolis, Quantico and Pensacola locations to screen prospective Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers for the skills and attributes necessary to successfully complete Navy primary flight training. IFS provides Student Naval Aviators (SNAs) with a maximum of 25 hours of civilian aviation flight training and the private pilot ground school prior to beginning the Naval Aviation training pipeline (Preflight Indoctrination). SNAs enrolled in IFS must meet the following program requirements: solo within 36 days (commissioned officers) or 60 days (pre-commissioning); solo within 15 flight hours; complete at least three solo flights; complete one solo cross country flight; fly a minimum of 2.0 solo flight hours; fly a minimum of 24.0 total flight hours; complete the program within 60 days (commissioned officers) or 100 days (pre-commissioning). IFS provides Student Naval Flight Officers (SNFOs), the private pilot ground school with a maximum of 13.5 flight hours at a civilian aviation flight facility prior to beginning Preflight Indoctrination. SNFOs enrolled in IFS must meet the following program requirements: pass (80%) the practice private pilot final; fly a minimum of 12.5 flight hours; fly a maximum of 13.5 total flight hours; complete the program within 40 days (commissioned officers) or 65 days (pre-commissioning).
Students:
Eligible IFS students are required to register online only after their military supervisor has confirmed their eligibility. The student will receive a user ID and Password once successfully registered, briefed and payment has been authorized for the selected pilot school. At no time will a student commence training prior to receiving authorization. For question about the IFS program, contact your local military supervisor or the IFS program office...register
Pilot Schools:
Currently, IFS is limited to FAR Part 141 certified pilot schools located in the Annapolis, Quantico and Pensacola zones. Participating pilot schools must agree to IFS program and billing requirements before accepting students.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're referring to the NSS, what they told us when we checked into IFS just before xmas was that they'd start keeping track of our scores in IFS, and give us an NSS for IFS, not integrate IFS scoring into anything else. From what the LT giving the brief said, its currently just ideas being tossed around on what to do with it, everything from setting a "passing score" at IFS to just identifying people who may have issues with future evolutions.

That makes more sense. My concern would be that once they have an NSS, they'd want to do something w/it down the road, but that may not be an issue since the NSS will be going away eventually.

Kycntryboy

pilot
ive already said this once, sorry if im beating a dead horse, but i think there should be a IFS forum before the API forum.

IFS is seriously not that big of a deal, it is directly involved with API so I don't see the need in creating a separate forum for it. Maybe a sticky about IFS but that is just about all I see IFS warranting.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
That makes more sense. My concern would be that once they have an NSS, they'd want to do something w/it down the road, but that may not be an issue since the NSS will be going away eventually.

I had the same reaction as yours when I first heard about it. You're right, this does make more sense, but not that much more.

I have no idea how they're going to standardize things using civilian instructors, many of whom are nearly the same age as the students they're teaching. My IFS instructor was particularly bad with regards to standardization.

What is NSS going to be replaced by? I hadn't heard that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not sure entirely, but basically what happens now is they have to convert your GPA (or whatever it's called) into a NSS which is kind of ghetto. Since EVERYONE will be going to MPTS "soon," they'll drop the NSS and just use some standard off the final GPA/multiple/dealy.