• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Thread?

Nomar116

pilot
We should really have at least a sticky for IFS if not a seperate forum. It could include....
Terrible schools not to go to (there are several),
Handy gouge for crazy FAA written and oral exams,
Things not to screw up even though you will (muster),
And of course, how to class-up sooner (or later).

IFS doesn't seem to get alot of attention here and I'm not sure why. Maybe it used to be a breeze but it seems more and more people are having problems with it...

Handy gouge...
www.sportys.com; Great FAA practice tests AND seperate
test question study tool
www.faatest.com; ReadyRide, checkride prep program
www.checkride.com

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

Do IFS students take the same FAA Written that private pilot applicants take? If so, all of the possible questions in the test bank are published by various companies (Gleim and more!) . Just go through them and memorize. For any practical lesson(checkride or check oral), the Practical Test Standards guide is your friend! Again, I don't know if it is the same stuff but maybe this info would help.

speeddypat

None
IFS is really not as intense as you're making it out to be. Every single question is out there for you, and you just have to read the books. It seems to me that IFS is here to stay for a while, why do you think that it wont? You should enjoy at least part of your time there.

just out of curiosity did you pass the faa test today?

Nomar116

pilot
The students in IFS work the exact same curriculum as a civilian including taking the same FAA written and oral exams.

And yes, I passed. But the very first sentence in the Jeppesen "Question Bank" reads: "The FAA has changed the way questions are published by including only selected questions from their entire database. Therefore, you might encounter a question on the exam that has never been published by the FAA." While these questions are certainly the minority, I started another thread to list some of these questions so we have another resource as students take the test.

And yes, I am really enjoying IFS. I even enjoyed ground school. I am not trying to make IFS sound intense, but if you go in unprepared alot of students are struggling. I am simply trying to encourage discussion about the course and materials available.

BornForJets

Does your PPL have to be current in order to pass out of IFS? Is it worth it to go back for a flight review before OCS?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Memorize the three whole EPs that you need to know. Be familiar with the maneuvers the night before you fly. Trim. Don't fuckin crash.

That's my IFS gouge.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Does your PPL have to be current in order to pass out of IFS? Is it worth it to go back for a flight review before OCS?

All you have to be able to do is furnish a copy of your license. I haven't flown in about a year and a half and my FAA medical is probably expired. Save your money.

JonDW7

Make sure you are honest with them about having the private pilot's license. I had a dude in my IFS class with somewhere around 60 hours, but he still wanted to do IFS. He was bored out of his mind.

FlyinRock

We should really have at least a sticky for IFS if not a seperate forum. It could include....
Terrible schools not to go to (there are several),
Things not to screw up even though you will (muster),
And of course, how to class-up sooner (or later).

IFS doesn't seem to get alot of attention here and I'm not sure why. Maybe it used to be a breeze but it seems more and more people are having problems with it...

Handy gouge...
www.sportys.com; Great FAA practice tests AND seperate
test question study tool
www.faatest.com; ReadyRide, checkride prep program
www.checkride.com
There have been a lot of posts regarding IFS over the past several years. I have been involved with IFS 4-5 years as an instructor and have noticed with different classes, a certain personality for individual classes. Some of them are hard chargers and breeze through having fun most of the way. Others seem to struggle and a number of PRB's. That has often been a point of discussion at the weekly CFI meetings.
With my intro to students at first meeting, I tell them the program is not difficult for intelligent young motivated individuals who will take the program seriously and do their studies as directed. Isn't hard to see who is serious and who isn't during the pre-flight brief. And, when I am doing a phase check, I can tell with the first answer if the student is prepared or not. And if it appears they indeed are not prepared, I terminate the phase check right then. Why waste the time and money?
If a student is struggling, but is putting out 1000%, I'll bust my ass to help them get over the hump and into API. There are more than a few who visit the forum who will verify that.
I recall one class that was busting the phase check oral big time when they all tried to use the same flawed gouge. there are no short cuts. You need to study and understand the materials. If you do, NONE of the written or orals are difficult unless you are just not cut out for a career as a pilot or NFO.
Semper Fi
Rocky
aka Grumpy Old Marine

red_ryder

None
Well, like Rocky said, IFS is pretty self-evident. I know your tendency is to try to find all the gouge, but all you really need to do is put in the study time and pay attention.

If you need help, just ask your instructor. That's what they're there for.

I'm not sure you even get your choice of schools anyway?