• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Location

Recidivist

Can anybody verify to the following rumors?

1) IFS at Quantico/Manassas is faster than IFS at Pensacola.
2) If you are able to go to Pensacola you will be able to put your name on the API waitlist while in IFS
3) You will fly Piper Warriors at IFS in Pensacola
4) Pensacola IFS is actually two hours away in Alabama
5) You will get more flight hours at Quantico/Manassas

I'm probably going to be asked sometime in the next week or two if I have a preference for either Location. I'm inclined to ask go to Florida if that is an option, but if there are any good reasons to stay up north, I would like to know.

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
If you're a Marine, your wait in Pensacola will be on the order of half a year anyways, so don't worry too much about it.

But, Pensacola IFS is indeed in either Bay Minette, Mobile (both in Alabama) or in Milton under special circumstances. It's not two hours away though.

I can't speak to if Marines are allowed more flight hours, but the IFS program for Navy limits you to 25 hours total. The Marines, I'm pretty sure, do the same program.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
1) I completed IFS at Flight Training Mobile in just over a month. 33, 35 days, something like that.
2) I don't think that is correct.
3) I flew a 172.
4) It took me 1+15 to get to Mobile from Perdido Key.
5) No.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

Ah, A-pool rumors . . .

torpedo0126

I was confused at first by your wording...IFS is also conducted at Pensacola regional, which is pretty close. Also you can take government vans to your IFS locations. It still is a pain, but its not that bad.

Before I left Pensacola, I talked to the officer in charge of IFS. Apparently, once construction is done at Pensacola Regional, the flight school there is planning on expanding considerably. IFS hopes to send most of their students there. But I think this is still a ways off.

Trev82

pilot
when i went through they were sending all Marines to manassas unless you had special circumstances requiring you to go to pcola. Manassas was very laid back, there are two schools @ the airport to accomadate everyone and your flying pretty much everyday once you finish ground school. I went through manassas aviation instead of dulles and i liked it, very laid back.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Suck it up a do it in DC aka Manassas, it all good IFS in Manassas is much more laid back and easier than IFS in the PCOLA area. The Navy uses it as part of the weeding out process a lot more than the Marine Corps does. Like I said do it in DC. You will fly either 172?s or piper somethings depending on where you go.

Ric Hard

Like JZAB said. Better to do it in VA. Civilian instructors up there are professional and will get you out pretty fast. Additionally, if you fail a flight you will not get a pink slip in your jacket like you would in Pensacola.

NVACE69

From IFS Director!

Quit trying to take the easy road! Minimum effort will no benefit you in Naval Aviation...once a slacker always a slacker......

There are no schools that have tomahawks anymore....172s, 152s, Cherokees, and warriors... the majority train in 172s/152s...

If you fail two academic exams (<80%) or a stage check, you will get a pink sheet (you better be getting a pink sheet!)!

Remember these Wings of Gold are earned and not given...! Work hard..prove you have the right stuff and don't cower away from a challenge!!

ZahirM

I was confused at first by your wording...IFS is also conducted at Pensacola regional, which is pretty close. Also you can take government vans to your IFS locations. It still is a pain, but its not that bad.

Before I left Pensacola, I talked to the officer in charge of IFS. Apparently, once construction is done at Pensacola Regional, the flight school there is planning on expanding considerably. IFS hopes to send most of their students there. But I think this is still a ways off.

Nope! It should be setup and taking in students from the 13th of this month! The difference is, its not the old Pensacola guys now but Skywarrior from Bay Minette is moving Ops to Pensacola Regional. The drive was a constant problem for all the students so we moved the first chance we got!

torpedo0126

Nope! It should be setup and taking in students from the 13th of this month! The difference is, its not the old Pensacola guys now but Skywarrior from Bay Minette is moving Ops to Pensacola Regional. The drive was a constant problem for all the students so we moved the first chance we got!

nice that should make things a bit easier for everyone.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG

No Fear!!!

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
shut-up.jpg