• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS down the tubes?

SkywardET

Contrarian
I saw a few attrites in IFS, and I also really appreciated going through IFS. A lot of my buddies said it was a waste of time for them, however. The existence of IFS really should be mostly a matter of economics, but I won't hold my breath for the decision to be made in that way.

The irony of IFS is that if it was truly effective at its intended purpose of attriting people early to save money, then the program itself could be a victim of its own success.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
An hour in a T-6 is more like $1000 by the time you pay for maintenance and buy tires.
The actual cost per X for a T-6B is around $2300.
The actual cost per X for a T-34 is around $2500.
The actual cost per X for a T-45 is around $8500.
The actual cost per X for a TH-57 is around $1900.
The actual cost per X for a T-44 is around $5000.

(Nov 2012 data)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Why is the Weenie so high? Just the MX costs gone nuts due to age?

Something to consider is that T-6 hrs/X is about 1.6 (syllabus flight hours for syllabus flight events) while the number for the T-34 is about 1.8. (Of course the marginal difference in hrs/X doesn't proportionally affect the cost/X.)

jtmedli

pilot

(Nov 2012 data)

Well played! I'm surprised the cost per X of a 57 isn't higher.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor

(Nov 2012 data)

Awesome info! The difference between the T-34 and T-6 surprises me.
What does this include though? (Just fuel and maintenance?) No air frame life cost? No instructor pilot cost?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Awesome info! The difference between the T-34 and T-6 surprises me.
What does this include though? (Just fuel and maintenance?) No air frame life cost? No instructor pilot cost?

The difference comes from the value the navy puts on the life of rotor trash. TH 57 SWTIs are a dime a dozen.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wonder what the $/hr numbers are for fleet a/c...anyone?

You can talk to your Maintenance and get your number. They use that number every week. Fuel does factor into it, as over the years, the number for the -60B skyrocketed in a short time. I don't remember what the number was, but it would be 2 years old, anyway.

I believe the number comes from the Wing, who gets it from either the Comptroller and/or higher, but again, it's been a while.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
The current readiness slide I pulled the data from doesn't have what's included in the costs but a previous slide with fleet, both USN & USMC aircraft, includes maintenance and fuel costs so I assume the CNATRA slide does as well.

In case somebody lost sleep last night over it because I left it out, the T-39's actual cost per X is around $6700.

phrogpilot73

There's an annual DoD memo published that covers the cost/flight hour for every platform in the DoD. And I mean every platform. I'd have to look, but if I remember correctly the high dollar platform was close to or over $100K/flight hour. Once I get back from Lejeune I can attach the memo in a PDF format. It's an interesting read/glance...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... over the years, the number for the -60B skyrocketed in a short time.

Ten years ago, I remember that number being $2500/hr and the average age of the fleet was about 8,000 hours (for comparison, the mighty Phrog was about $4000 and probably double the hours... helicopter flight hours are a lot like "dog years"), but back then gas was $1.50/gal (and JP-8 probably not much more).

Sikorsky advertized something like 3 maintenance man-hours/flight hour for the bare bones S-70, while the number most detachments came up with for the SH-60 was about ten times that (much of it avionics gripes and corrosion prevention). Facts, figures, and statistics...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... Fuel does factor into it, as over the years, the number for the -60B skyrocketed in a short time. I don't remember what the number was, but it would be 2 years old, anyway...

Ten years ago, I remember that number being $2500/hr and the average age of the fleet was about 8,000 hours (for comparison, the mighty Phrog was about $4000 and probably double the hours... helicopter flight hours are a lot like "dog years"), but back then gas was $1.50/gal (and JP-8 probably not much more)...
The actual cost per hour (ACPH) for the SH-60B was nearly $4900. (4th Q, 2012 data)

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Start of the new quarter means IFS is back up and running.

It's Alive.

itsalive1.gif

For now anyway.