• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS down the tubes?

MasterBates

Don't worry.. Congress is right on getting that budget passed.

9.jpg

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
I know this sucks. I was kind of looking forward to it. I would think having time in a Cessna would help your experience for your first time in the Texan. But, All of the old breed did it in the past.

-2ndlt Nole

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I know this sucks. I was kind of looking forward to it. I would think having time in a Cessna would help your experience for your first time in the Texan. But, All of the old breed did it in the past.

-2ndlt Nole
Having never flown a Cessna or any other non-military aircraft, I can only go on what others have told me. That being said, I think the T-6 sim is probably going to do a much better job of preparing you for the speed, intensity, and discipline required to safely solo that aircraft than IFS will. Most post IFS students were very surprised at how much more difficult the T-34 was to fly and I always had to break them of using the freaking rudder pedals in the turns.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Having never flown a Cessna or any other non-military aircraft, I can only go on what others have told me. That being said, I think the T-6 sim is probably going to do a much better job of preparing you for the speed, intensity, and discipline required to safely solo that aircraft than IFS will. Most post IFS students were very surprised at how much more difficult the T-34 was to fly and I always had to break them of using the freaking rudder pedals in the turns.

This may be a Stupid Question, but why wouldn't you use pedals in a turn? Are there no slips or skids in a t34?

-2nlt Nole

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
This may be a Stupid Question, but why wouldn't you use pedals in a turn? Are there no slips or skids in a t34?

-2nlt Nole
Not a stupid question at all. At most normal speeds, including the landing pattern, the T-34 wouldn't develop a slip or skid in the turn. Students would attempt to use them at the wrong times or incorrectly. My advice to them was to just use them as footrests.
Now doing high work, low work, and aerobatics were a different case. You would also heavily use them in crosswind landings, just not in a turn like you would a Cessna.
If the student wasn't broken of this by mid stage contacts, the Skidded Turn Stall demo usually cured them of this habit, especially on the turn to final in the landing pattern.
Think of the ball in the T-34 as the rudder trim required indicator.

sickboy

pilot
Not a stupid question at all. At most normal speeds, including the landing pattern, the T-34 wouldn't develop a slip or skid in the turn. Students would attempt to use them at the wrong times or incorrectly. My advice to them was to just use them as footrests.
Now doing high work, low work, and aerobatics were a different case. You would also heavily use them in crosswind landings, just not in a turn like you would a Cessna.
If the student wasn't broken of this by mid stage contacts, the Skidded Turn Stall demo usually cured them of this habit, especially on the turn to final in the landing pattern.

Wish I knew that in Primary.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's interesting. I don't recall that being an issue I saw regularly, just crappy trimming, but I can see it being an issue. I would usually talk up the STS demo and do the scary student departure (unlike the IP/NATOPS recovery) and it would usually have it's intended affect, but I think 1-2 of my on-wings didn't buy it. After recovery, I would get a, "Can we do that again?"

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
That's interesting. I don't recall that being an issue I saw regularly, just crappy trimming, but I can see it being an issue. I would usually talk up the STS demo and do the scary student departure (unlike the IP/NATOPS recovery) and it would usually have it's intended affect, but I think 1-2 of my on-wings didn't buy it. After recovery, I would get a, "Can we do that again?"
Only saw it in a few students, but it was definitely there. They were all pleasantly surprised that I wasn't hawking the ball during turns like the ifs instructors were.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have the same nasty habit in the T-6 (sims at least). I'm a warpig driver, which means I'm used to flying with my feet. I have to constantly take rudder out, especially with HAL9000 deciding how much trim I need, then putting half of it in for me. I fly it where I want it with about half as much control force as I think I need, then start clicking rudder trim like a mad man. We'll see how that works out in the plane again.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have the same nasty habit in the T-6 (sims at least). I'm a warpig driver, which means I'm used to flying with my feet. I have to constantly take rudder out, especially with HAL9000 deciding how much trim I need, then putting half of it in for me. I fly it where I want it with about half as much control force as I think I need, then start clicking rudder trim like a mad man. We'll see how that works out in the plane again.

Between the -34, the -57 (I think...it's been a while), the -60B and the -60R sims, I don't think I've ever thought the ball control was as realistic as the aircraft. The -60B wasn't bad, but the T-34 was downright ridiculous (both old and new sims). I'm sure the T-6 is better, but like you said, I'd wait to see how it is in the plane.

Only saw it in a few students, but it was definitely there. They were all pleasantly surprised that I wasn't hawking the ball during turns like the ifs instructors were.

I guess that's where the difference is. I didn't care about the ball to much in the turns (because, like you said, you didn't have to), but I'd usually give them the business about it going straight, mostly because my ass would feel like it was sliding out the side of the aircraft.

"Hey, you hear that knocking sound?"

"No sir, what is it? Is there a problem?"

"It's the ball trying to get back in the aircraft."

"Oh." <nose wildly swings back to center>

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Between the -34, the -57 (I think...it's been a while), the -60B and the -60R sims, I don't think I've ever thought the ball control was as realistic as the aircraft. The -60B wasn't bad, but the T-34 was downright ridiculous (both old and new sims). I'm sure the T-6 is better, but like you said, I'd wait to see how it is in the plane.

I guess that's where the difference is. I didn't care about the ball to much in the turns (because, like you said, you didn't have to), but I'd usually give them the business about it going straight, mostly because my ass would feel like it was sliding out the side of the aircraft.

"Hey, you hear that knocking sound?"

"No sir, what is it? Is there a problem?"

"It's the ball trying to get back in the aircraft."

"Oh." <nose wildly swings back to center>
Oh, I agree. Straight and level I would ride my onwings like Seabiscuit about the ball being out. See that fuel low light flashing?!