• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need a new major...

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
i guess my biggest question now is is there certain types of degrees that will help with promotion boards in the future.....
HH-60 is spot on about picking a major that you enjoy. What if you pick your major based on the promotion boards, or even OCS acceptance boards, and you don't get selected? Or break your ankle at OCS and get NPQ'd? Now you're stuck with a major in a field you dislike at best.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
currently its nursing but im thinking of changing it to Exercize and Sport Science with a concentration in physical training

Why would you want to change from nursing? The country needs nurses hard core. When you are done with the service, you would have places lined up to hire you. Nurses make big bucks now adays too!!!!

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Just throwing it out there, but if you are looking toward a career that a certain type of degree is needed, but you dont like the subject, then that career may not be the one for you. Dont pick engineering even though you hate it because you need it to be an astronaut. There is a REASON astronauts need tech majors. Same with test pilots. I venture to say if you have friends that are forcing themselves into engineering degrees so they can be astronauts or test pilots and they are hating it, they are going to hate being astronauts or test pilots too.

So, find something that motivates you, that excites you, and that challenges you. That goes for your career and your major.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Can you commission URL / whatever the Marines call it with a nursing degree?

Nursing is a staff corps position in the Navy (just like docs), and as such it isn't an MOS in the Marine Corps.

And the Marine Corps does not distinguish between URL/RL. There is no RL/staff corps in the MC (hence why there are no docs/nurses/chaplains etc)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Nursing is a staff corps position in the Navy (just like docs), and as such it isn't an MOS in the Marine Corps.

And the Marine Corps does not distinguish between URL/RL. There is no RL/staff corps in the MC (hence why there are no docs/nurses/chaplains etc)

For some reason I though a nursing degree wasn't a regular bachelor's degree.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
If I remember correctly, a Licensed Practical Nurse is the equivalent of an Associate's Degree. A Registered Nurse has a Bachelor's. A Nurse Practitioner has a Masters.

Just in case you were curious.:D

SWCS242

SWO in-training
If I remember correctly, a Licensed Practical Nurse is the equivalent of an Associate's Degree. A Registered Nurse has a Bachelor's. A Nurse Practitioner has a Masters.

Just in case you were curious.:D

You are right!! LPN=associates RN = Bachelor's NP = even more school There are seriously dozens of different types of nurses, and I hear they have BDCP for nurses right now. I pretty much have a good friend of mine talked into it!!

If you want to be a nurse, or had an inkling to be a nurse go for it. I wanted to be a nurse but changed half way through for the wrong reasons and regret it!!

lmnop

Minor point, but RN doesn't necessarily = Bachelor's. You can be an RN with a 2 year degree. Many nursing schools offer an RN to BSN upgrade curriculum for people who went that route initially.