• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I just ENLISTed in the USN, I have >?<...

Thanks alot for the information guys!, I appreciate it.

Remember, you start out at the bottom of the totem pole. Mess cooking, laundry, compartment cleaning ect and then you graduate to the Line Division cleaning struts! Washing planes with waterless hand cleaner at sea and with a hose ashore. We all started out doing those shitty jobs but it's not the end of the world, pay is the same and you work your way up!
I never really considered turning "O" but I loved the hell out of flying. Again, starting at the bottom, flight attendent, loadmaster and finially Flight Engineer. With experiance YOU ARE the mechanical authority on that bird. I've been retired 16 years already and if given a checklist I bet I could still light the fires and taxi to the terminal to get the load.
My advice, keep quiet when it ain't all fun, have fun, find a good sea daddy and follow his lead and advance!
Good Luck!

OldNavy

I would have given my left nut to be a FSA. I cranked in laundry on a Gator. 121 days of hell, but I now do a wonderful job pressing khaki's and (not to mention the money you find when cleaning out the laundry filter!)

I was on Iwo Jima (LPH-2) from 1985 - 1989

Were you the guy who kept pressing my khaki pants after standing the zipper pull up?

(Martha Stewart Tip)

If the ship's laundry trashes the zipper and you decide to replace it with velcro, make SURE you put the pile tape (the fuzzy stuff) on the INSIDE lest you severly lacerate yourself every time you go to the head! :eek:

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
I'm planning to enlist for 4 years and get as many college credits as i can and after that i'll use my G.I. Bill to get my Bachelors degree in Aviation(2 yrs.) and hopefully pass OCS to be a naval aviator, I'm 18 right now, hopefully i'll be a Naval aviator at 24 yrs. old....

Sound like a great plan, but don't forget to look into all your options, including ROTC and Boat U. (the Academy). And talk to the O's, especially your Div-O, and the command career counselor about different paths. I absolutely love it when a sailor comes to me hungry for info on opportunities. There are a lot of them out there for the picking.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Sound like a great plan, but don't forget to look into all your options, including ROTC and Boat U. (the Academy). And talk to the O's, especially your Div-O, and the command career counselor about different paths. I absolutely love it when a sailor comes to me hungry for info on opportunities. There are a lot of them out there for the picking.

Concur,
Don't forget that with any officer program you pursue, you will have to be the expert. Don't expect your CCC or Div-O to know the requirements, deadlines, and application. YOU will be expected to do the majority of the legwork with your chain of command filling in at specific times.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was gonna join the Army or Marines but my mom didn't let me, so navy is the answer, but no turning back now LOL :)

Despite what you think, once you turn 18, she has no say in that decision. Like fc2spyguy said, don't ever admit that again.

SQUIDutah

pilot
I was on Iwo Jima (LPH-2) from 1985 - 1989

Were you the guy who kept pressing my khaki pants after standing the zipper pull up?

(Martha Stewart Tip)

If the ship's laundry trashes the zipper and you decide to replace it with velcro, make SURE you put the pile tape (the fuzzy stuff) on the INSIDE lest you severly lacerate yourself every time you go to the head! :eek:

I was on the Peleliu from 1999-2003, but we did have our fun at times. Most of the LT's would leave five bucks in their pockets for starch and straight lines. I even found a few hundred in cash, but found the LT to give it back. She gave me a twenty for being honest.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
Army and marine enlisted personel goes to their MOS right away right?

Marines do. At least the aviation types do. Every MOS is always short of personnel. That's what the fleet is saying. Manpower (the suits in VA) will say it's a "management" problem.

OldNavy

I was on the Peleliu from 1999-2003, but we did have our fun at times. Most of the LT's would leave five bucks in their pockets for starch and straight lines. I even found a few hundred in cash, but found the LT to give it back. She gave me a twenty for being honest.

The Goat Locker in Iwo was pretty small (maybe 40 khaki?) but we "tipped" our mess crank pretty well every payday. As a result, there was ALWAYS sandwich meat and cheese in the reefer and ice cream in the freezer for those times after the mid-watch when you were feeling a bit "peckish"