• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I just ENLISTed in the USN, I have >?<...

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
I know this site is for Officers but i have a few questions regarding being an enlisted person...
are there any enlisted pipz around here???

thanks...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let us not forget our Navy Enlisted Aircrewmen and all of the Aviation Maintenance types! They are as part of Naval Aviation as any Aviator or Flight Officer.

(short answer: there are some)

Top_Gun_101

Fly GA
My question is; after finishing my technical school, will i actually do the job i signed for in the contract?, or will they make me mow the lawn or work in the shower or kitchen.

Thanks!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, depends on what job you signed up for. I was a FC, when I showed up to the ship I had to do 90 days of cranking (working in the wardroom). After that is when I finally got to do what I signed up for.

What rate did you enlist for?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, depends on what job you signed up for. I was a FC, when I showed up to the ship I had to do 90 days of cranking (working in the wardroom). After that is when I finally got to do what I signed up for.

What rate did you enlist for?

Concur. I was in 1st LT buffing decks and cleaning shitters for 9 months. :eek:

Brett

LoneSailor

Yup, there's always holding company or whatever's the equivalent. If you have some sort of clearance and are awaiting for the final approval, you might be stashed to cut the grass and paint rocks. If you're going on a ship, you're probably going to be required to do mess-cranking. It's not so bad, just about everyone goes through it.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
One thing that cranking did was force me to deal with people outside of my division. There were many good friends I made while cranking, and it helped out a lot later on when I needed those connections to get stuff done.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those who have cranked in a wardroom, what was your experience like dealing with officers? I've always been respectful and friendly to those serving me, I know it's not the best deal in the Navy and you'd rather be doing your job.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Naval aviator?

Sure thing. If you look under a person's name on this forum, you will see either pilot wings (single anchor) or NFO wings (two anchors) if they are a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer. We also have insignia for Surface Warfare Officer (I believe Steve Wilkins is the only one to have that on this site). Students will not have insignia as they do not rate it.