• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

asa66

It may have only been a -172 but it was so AMAZING! Just a simple 3 T/O and landings. It got me wondering what everyone's first Solo was like? Stories are welcome

Congratulations!

My first solo was long ago in a Cessna 150. My first solo trans-oceanic flight was in a P-3B with 12 souls on board and just me with a sextant, DR plot, and drift meter, from NAS Whidbey Island to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. To be honest, the nav solo was a much bigger thrill.

Nonetheless, enjoy! The Navy will give you more opportunities than any other pursuit to do things you never thought you could do. Civilians can only watch and be envious.

Flugelman

Contributor
Congratulations!

My first solo was long ago in a Cessna 150. My first solo trans-oceanic flight was in a P-3B with 12 souls on board and just me with a sextant, DR plot, and drift meter, from NAS Whidbey Island to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. To be honest, the nav solo was a much bigger thrill.

Nonetheless, enjoy! The Navy will give you more opportunities than any other pursuit to do things you never thought you could do. Civilians can only watch and be envious.
/threadjack

And was unable to find his way back to Whidbey Island....:D

I was also on that deployment and we returned to NAS Barbers Point. Long story...

/end threadjack

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You were "solo" with 2 pilots and 9 other folks on board? Navigating across the open ocean with DR nav and a sextant is quite an accomplishment, but calling it a solo is quite a stretch. Don't you think?

-152 over out of Bay Bridge Airport in Maryland. They needed to get my solo out so I launched about 30 minutes before sunset. Had enough time to fly out to clear the ADIZ around DC (I hate that thing by the way, felt worse for the Lee guys) and turn around and make 1 full stop landing. My instructor was almost ready to turn on the field lights for me.
Nice - fellow Bay Bridger here. I don't remember much from my solo (even thought it was only 2.5 years ago), but I do remember touching down 2-3 separate times on my last landing. I taxied back to the line and hoped no one had seen me :p

That's the moment I knew I'd make a great helo pilot :D

jeff_264

Well, I flew my first solo today on my 16th birthday, 8/27/08 in a Cessna 172 N73105. Only got to do one full stop, becouse there was some weather blowing in, but I still had a blast. When taxiing in I spotted one of the linemen loading up some large orange buckets in those little golf cart things:watching2, my instructer said "You know whats comeing don't ya." I replied holding up his $900 Bose headsets :D"Yea but I got a hostage." Needless to say he made me give him the headsets and I took the ice water like a man. Good Times.

Jeff

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
31 Jan 1990. T-34C Buno 161032. Hobbes, NM.

I spent the whole time paranoid that I would get lost, although I did knock out 12 landings.

I was in late Fams when we went on det. I got one course rules fam, a checkride, then my solo. It's a minor miracle that I found the field again.

I was 20 years old.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
It wasn't my first solo, but after flying Turkeys for 3+ years always with someone to chat with, the T-45 was like becoming a born-again virgin. My first T-45 solo as an IP was a night form target. I had forgotten how dark and quiet it gets in an airplane at night by yourself in south Texas. I almost felt like a student again.

bbf7b2

pilot
Fast much? It's a 152 not a Bonanza :D Congratulations on the solo. (Believe it or not your instructor was probably more nervous than you) Just wait until solo cross-countries, remember if you get lost all you have to do is roll down the window and ask a nice looking person for directions :D

highside7r

None
C-152 5451P out of 82J (Pensacola). Didn't realize the 152 would jump off the runway without the extra 200lbs sitting next to me. Next flight opposite traffic T-34 and I were at about the same altitude(probably on the VOR 19 into NPA)

About a year later flying the TH-67 with another "Army solo" student, he keeps "seeing" a CHIP LIGHT, turns out to be the sun hitting the panel!

Congrats---Nice vid and wetting yourself, I'm back flying C-172/C-152 working on that CFI.