• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting & Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by wink
I used a 22-250 on the 'roos. First and last time I shot one. Real nice. Couldn't keep the hides since we were back on the ship within 48 hours and couldn't get them properly cared for on such short notice. I have always regreted that.

Next time you're in that situation, dump several pounds of regular table salt on the hides, let them sit in the sun for as long as possible, then roll them up (hair inboard) and put the rolled hide in a trash bag. It'll be good to go until you can get it to a taxidermist.

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by aoconnor
You know my father told me that when he was in the Navy they used to shoot trap off the USS Hornet while at sea, do they still do this? Seems like they wouldn't since times have changed.

I was on an FFG in San Diego for 4 years. We did "fam-fire" (familiarization) on the flight deck a couple times a year, for those that stood watches and sometimes carried a gun, though nearly everyone got a chance. We usually shot pistols, but occassionaly shotguns. I was in the right place at the right time and got to fire the M-79 Grenade Launcher, and the 50 Cal at night w/tracers (Cool S***!)

One time, with a good Captain and an Chief that probably had to do more work than he bargained for, we got to shoot clay pigeons off the flight deck. I think it was a couple of bucks, with the profits going back into our MWR (recreation) fund.

I've talked to a couple of other people who have done this as well, although a lot has changed in the past few years.

aoconnor

E5b my email addy is aoconnor@email.unc.edu I can vouch on the salted hide technique, but be careful skinning because taxidermists are picky. I should know my father is one.

M-79 off the ship, sounds cool. Any chance of checking it out from the armory to use roo hunting?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have used the 'ol salt and rollem trick before. I just didn't hink it would be fair to my roomates on the ship to have untanned 'roo hide in my locker for the next 4 months. No chance of finding a good taxidermist in say, Hong Kong, or Subic Bay.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Killing roos? I whacked a Wallaby with a 22 mag. The interesting part is once we got up to the thing, there was a little Joey kicking in the pouch…we took it back to the rancher, who’s wife nursed it back to health. The rancher was pissed, he said if he had been there, the thing would have been whacked against the side of a hub-cap. Death and destruction is cool and all, but the thing was just too cute to end.
Bunny bashing is the best sport Australia has to offer. A case of beer, a flat bed truck, spot light the rabbits, and the chase is on with a piece of PVC pipe. They called them Ulbees, as in U’ll be sorry, chasing rabbits through the sage brush drunk…usually we’d end up hitting each other.
Just wish I had my .338 mag down there…

aoconnor

So what happens, do you get off the ship and someone is holding a sign that reads "hunting trips"? Seems like Aussie has a lot to offer for the weekend varmit hunter.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
That trip was because a HS buddy had some rich parents with a ranch down there. I imagine that it all depends on time in port, but once you get out in the sticks there are some cool side trips you can go on. In New South Whales anyway, it wasn't Fosters, It was Toohey's

muffin

Of the topic a little, I always wanted one of those wirehaired pointers. A nice versatile dog for pheasant, quail, duck, rabbit, etc. Someday...

doubleeagle

While we're on the dog topic I have 2 labs and 5 pointers for the quail hunting and duck hunting I wrote about earlier. There is nothing like watching a good team of dogs work a covey of quail; except maybe the catapult launch we all dream of...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya, bunnies and 'roos are just vermin to the ranchers down under. There are millions of them. I never did the bunny bashing. I blasted them with the 22-250. Funny the wallaby in the pouch was mentioned. I shot a couple rabbits that the 22-250 really opened up revealing a dozen unborn undeveloped bunnies. We got our hunt because one of my squadron mates met an Aussie woman in HI whose father had a station (ranch) in Western Austrialia. When were made Perth her family showed us a real nice time. BTW, in WA it isn't Foster's or Toohy's. They like Swan in those parts.

aoconnor

Dogs: My favorite hunting dog is by far the lab. I used to train labs and have had some really good hunts with them. I used to always say that a man doesn't belong hunting ducks is he doesn't have a dog -do to cripples, but now I am eating my words.

As far as German Wirehairs, I have never hunted with them, only the shorthairs. However, I have heard some good things about them. As far as the baby bunnies, you should have rolled them in flour, I bet they would takes like dumplings. Gotta go tell Campbells about that idea.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
When my dad was stationed at Kanehoe(sp?) MCAS, they did a lot of skeet/trap shooting. Is there a lot of leisure or competitive clay target shooting going on in the service these days?

Nick

speaking of .338 mag i hear a coyote outside right now. hope this whiskey doesnt throw off my aim

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
338 would explode a coyote, that would be awesome. The ranch I used to work at had me doing predator control and I called up a bunch of coyotes and shot em with my 270 and I thought that did a lot of damage, I can't imagine a 338. I'd sure like to see it. Take some pics of the aftermath!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.