• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting & Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I love handling up on varmints. I've got a lease out in West, TX that's a blast to varmint hunt. Sometimes I explode the coyotes and raccoons with a .264 winmag, and other times I prefer to make them do backflips with a .22-250. Time to grab a spotlight!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
West Tx, I'd consider that area North or (North Central). Next time you're looking up a map, look up Ft Davis and Marfa-area. Good Mtns out that way. We have both Mulies and White-tailed. Is your lease for deer?

KTHOR

E5B- Marfa, Man that is some good hunting. Just don't shoot at the lights, they could be aliens. We used to Auodad Ram hunt out there towards Big Bend. I hope to get back out there soon to kill some mulies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I just sent some pics to AOconner of a nice Aoudad Ram and Mountain Lion I shot in the Davis Mtns around Ft Davis, which is north of Marfa by 25 miles. Anyone else wanna see the pics, give me your addy.

aoconnor

I would like getting one of those Aoudad Rams, are they good eating? On a side note I just picked up 4 dozen Restle decoys today, pretty nice. I really enjoy hunting ducks over good decoys, and restles look and ride really good on water.

I just have to figure out where I am going to put all these decoys when I get stationed somewhere.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The younger ones are good eatin, don't even try eating one of the older rams. They smell like they just came from down-town El Paso. Mtn lion is also good eatin, but some claim that it has a high mercury content. who knows....

Anyone know of any places to deer hunt around Corpus Christi? and I'm not talking about road-hunting

ScottHook

If you don't have your gun for 'roo hunting, a farm truck works pretty good too. I took a trip down to Australia in high school and stayed on a ranch in the outback for a weekend. We rolled in at 10:00 at night and this 65 year old rancher tells us to jump on the back of his flatbed and to hold on. He then tore ass around 5,000 acres trying to drive the kangaroos off his land before they ate all his feed. Some of them were able to jump the fence, others were not so lucky.

The next day he took us on a tour of his Wild Boar traps. Basically he took big sheets of industrial chainlink fence and wrapped them in a circle with the sharp ends pointing to the inside of the circle. He would load em with bait, the boars would charge the fence, go through the part where the two ends meet and they would be trapped. If they tried to run out, they would skewer themselves on the ends of the fence. He said he tried to hunt them before, but was getting slow in his age. He didn't think he could dodge them if he missed and they charged at him.

I found it ironic that his wife stayed at home and nursed the orphaned Joeys whose parents her husband just mashed. Thought you all might find that amusing.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I tried fishing in the bay here off base and the little fish kept robbing me. I want to get into the reds. You still in DFW?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The rancher I hunted with tried to run down a fox. I couldn't quite see the sense of it. He had a rabbit and 'roo problem and there he was killing one of the only predators that would help control his problem. He hated dingos too. It's not like he had livestock that was threatened. That was almost 20 years ago and I just thought maybe the Aussies weren't as enlightened about wildlife managment as we were. Guess not much has changed in that regard.

aoconnor

Yeah that doesn't make much since, killing off the predators when they were much needed. Perhaps they should have read some books by Aldo Leopold, he makes a good point about healthy balances. You know that is the problem with anti-hunters, they seem to think that hunting is no longer needed, since we have groceries. They often fail to realize that not only does hunting/fishing maintain a healthy balance among wildlife populations but also chucks major amounts of funds to manage wildlife and conservation.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Yea, I'm part of Ducks Unlimited and that organization has done amazingly good things for wildlife.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
My Belgium-made-Browning 270 has done some amazing things for wildlife...

Status
Not open for further replies.