• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hunting & Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoconnor

Hunting & Fishing

This question may be way off topic, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt asking. I love to hunt (waterfowl/upland) and fish, and was wondering if life in the Navy will allow me to keep it up. I realize that I will be going through a lot of training and that nearly all of my time will be taken up, but with what free time I get will I be able to go hunting?

Again, I am not going to be heartbroken by not hunting but I just figure if I am stationed somewhere where the duck hunting is great, it sure would be nice if I could get out a couple days during the season and bag a few birds.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
OK, read my profile aoconnor! I'm right with you. I'd love to keep it up while in the fleet. I'm from TN, so we do a lot of duck hunting on the Mississippi flyway. Do some Turkey hunting too. There's nothing like a big Tom walking up on you from behind, and then gobbling. It'll soil your britches for sure. As for fishing, do a lot of Bass fishing. We go to Lake Fork atleast twice a year, and we're looking to go to Brazil for Peacock trip sometime in the near future. That's cool that I've found someone on here that has the same interest as myself. Let me know some stuff about you. God Bless.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm with you guys here... I'm addicted to deer hunting, love bass fishing, and also enjoy bird hunting. I've pretty much written off being able to continue spending much time doing these things once OCS gets here. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. We'll have to wait and see.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in A-pool and I shoot all the time. Couple of my friends went dove hunting on Labor Day weekend in Kansas. Yes, you can do it, when you have the time.

grouch

I fished all through OCS! Heheheh I know, I'm a bastard! After I got put in student pool I fished everyday. You should have seen the looks from the watch or master guns as I walked back into regiment with my seven weight under my arms!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh ya, lots of fishing and hunting out there. Might be tough for you FNGs unles stashed or until after the RAG. Look at it this way. You will live and visit different parts of the world so you will have hunting and fishing opportunities you might never have had. Fishing in the Diego Garcia Lagoon was awesome, no one elese there but military. Same for Wake Island. I was able to go hunting in Austrialia. Bagged 5 kangaroos and several rabbits. That made me the only 'roo ace in the airwing! Our host took an emu on the run at nearly 300 yards. Don't worry, you will have some good hunting and fishing.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I don't know, I found it fairly difficult to hunt while I was on active duty. It's not like being home and having land to hunt or fish on. I was stationed in San Diego, so it wasn't hard to go fishing. You can fish the local lakes, the base, hell- people fished off the fantail of the ship. Anyhow, it was a real pain in the ass to find anywhere to hunt IF you were even around for the season (Deer, Dove, Quail, Duck, etc...). Just try and arrange your leave periods during the season and go home then. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get my stuff ready to make this evening's dove hunt.

aoconnor

Great, looks like I hit a good note. I am glad to hear that at least it is possible if not exciting to try out new territories. I was thinking that it would be nice to be stationed at Whidbey Island because the duck hunting has to be good with all the bays.

EA-6B1, I live in Chapel Hill NC and am getting ready for the upcoming waterfowl season. I have been painting the canoe, and rigging my decoys -not to mention getting a good deal on a Benelli Nova. This season I will be heading up to the coast to do a lot of layout shooting for divers and sea ducks (800 yds off the coast). I sure would like to get down to were you are and hunt some of those flooded timber mallards.

aoconnor

Wink, I have never hunted roos, but would be in for it. Sounds like they are comparable to woodchucks, as numerous as they are. Believe it or not, my father has a spotting scope mounted on the window of his shop, when ever he sees a woodchuck/coyote he knocks it down with his 22-250, - he has done this at over a 1000yds.

You should have saved your roos because the hides make excellent whips, thin and strong. Perhaps you saw some these roo hide whips while in Aussie. They can be pretty expensive $500+ (thats where Indy's came from.)

doubleeagle

I just going to throw this in for all to chew on. I have read alot about how it sucks to do your flight training at Vance AFB in Enid, OK. But, for you hunter types out there that might be the best place to do it. Not 30 minutes from Vance you can have your face in arguably the best quail land in the country not to mention pheasant, deer, ducks, geese and turkeys out the ass. As for the fishing; I wouldn't know, I don't fish but have hunted these lands for 8-10 years and seen bucks that would make you drool. That land is right in the middle of a major flyway with wildlife refuges not far away that house thousands of birds a year.

Just thought I'd let you know...

orthaj

If anyone here finds themselves in So Cal ever looking for Deer Hunting there are decent places to go on Camp Pendleton or if you want to make a short drive try up in the Palomar Mts, Cleveland Natl Forest area. Lots of Deer and quite a number of bucks if you scout it out long enough.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used a 22-250 on the 'roos. First and last time I shot one. Real nice. Couldn't keep the hides since we were back on the ship within 48 hours and couldn't get them properly cared for on such short notice. I have always regreted that. All I have is a photo of my first one. Duck hunting is too wet and cold for me. Some times we jump them in stock tanks out here in the desert. They are sure to fall on dry land that way. No sitting in a damp boat or blind. Take a nice walk in the deert and stalk your ducks. That is my kind of water fowl hunting. Better set condition zebra (or is it yoke?) aoconner. You guys may get hammered by the hurricane. Just might disrupt your hunting plans.

aoconnor

Wink I just realized the hurricane five minutes ago. I hope it cools this place down. Sounds like S.Cali may be pretty fun. As far as waterfowling being too cold, just put on your waders, and pour a cup of joe, perhaps enjoy a nice H.Uppman or Cristo -that will comfort you in the cold weather.

aoconnor

You know my father told me that when he was in the Navy they used to shoot trap off the USS Hornet while at sea, do they still do this? Seems like they wouldn't since times have changed.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Give me your email address(s) and I'll send you an awesome pic of a couple of animals I bagged in West Tx with a 22-250 last summer. One of the reasons I wanted Primary at CC.... I've hunted since I was 4 yrs old, not about to stop now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.