• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS squadrons

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I still say that HSL gives an equal number of mission availablities, it's just some are different missions (CSAR vs ASU/surface classification and targeting)

Oh I agree, we both have a huge range of missions, probably almost the same number. I just think HS is more diversified. However, I don't think that is a good thing. We are by no means experts in any of them. Well, I would say we are really good at SAR, but in reality that is far and away our largest real world experience, as a community.
It's awesome from an experience standpoint, I got exposure to all kinds of helo missions, but when the rubber meets the road, we need alot of time to spin up and really get to an effective level in any mission area.

mike172

GO NAVY
OK heres an opinion question. Do you ever wish you had chosen a different platform, or wish you could fly something else. Or do you pretty much think your Helo is the most kick ass thing around:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh I agree, we both have a huge range of missions, probably almost the same number. I just think HS is more diversified. However, I don't think that is a good thing. We are by no means experts in any of them. Well, I would say we are really good at SAR, but in reality that is far and away our largest real world experience, as a community.
It's awesome from an experience standpoint, I got exposure to all kinds of helo missions, but when the rubber meets the road, we need alot of time to spin up and really get to an effective level in any mission area.

Yep, I totally hear you. And hopfully you understand I wasn't trying to say one community is better than the other. I still say we're near equals in diversification, it's just in totally different directions. ;)

Oh, and that SEAL comment was jacked up. That was supposed to say "with or without..." Sorry about that.

@Mike: It's tough to say whether "your helo is better than the rest" because there are so many different missions. For things like ASW/ASU, I think the 60B is the best, since we can share our ASW information w/ a ship in real time and we have a radar (which can also be shared). For moving ass and trash on the Navy side, the -60H is better because it has the legs and the room. Of course a -53 is going to be better still. The -60S will be kick ass when it gets it's fuel tanks. And I'm not even getting into the Marine side, where they have far more guns and troop carriers, and they actually use them, unlike the majority of the Navy helo side. But that's all changing over time as well with the addition of the Dustoff dets and the HS beach dets doing overland stuff.

But after all that...for what the majority of missions Navy is called on to do, I like all the capabilities of my trusty, beat up -60B.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No. Right now most hope it will just be capable of getting itself in the air. Then it will move on to other things. I haven't heard much about it in a couple of months (been out of the loop), but apparently the thing is just damn heavy. There's a bunch of threads on here that goes into details on the Romeo, but briefly, Bravo and Foxtrot go away and the Romeo takes it's spot. Hotel goes away and the Sierra takes up the slack in addition to it being the Vertrep b!tch (for crying out loud, it sensors the b-word???). It will eventually "replace" the -53, as well, although that will be a tough act to follow for what it's capable of.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Again, there's much more info on here in other threads. But... 2004.

No wait, 2006. Oh wait, 2008. We have a flyable Romeo now, and a production line that's working...yup, 2008. That's just the initial startup, when the RAG gets theirs for training (there might be one at HSL-41 right now, but again, I've been out of the loop for a few months). I believe some east coast LAMPS squadrons will get the first set, as their birds are a bit older. I'm sure HSL-47, who now is attached to a carrier will be one of the first on the west coast. I don't know the details of the HS squadrons.

Not all the HSL squadrons will be joined w/ HS ones though. There will still be expeditionary squadrons w/ Bravos and eventually Romeos. The very last HSL squadron to get Romeos will be HSL-37 out of Hawaii, and that will be in 2015. Since we don't have a carrier to join up with there (at the moment), it kind of makes sense to make that one last.

flynsail

pilot
This comes from the September 2004 Combat Aircraft magazine:

MH-60S transition schedule

2001- HC-3 HSC-3
2002- HC-5/6/8 HSC-25/26/28
2003- HC-11 HSC 21
2006- HC-2 HSC-2
2007- HSC-22/23(new squadrons) and HS-4 HSC-4
2008- HS-7/8 HSC-7/8
2009- HS-2/5 HSC-12/5
2010- HS-3/6 HSC-9/6
2011- HS-11/14 HSC-11/14
2012- HS-15 HSC-15
HS-10 will be deactivated

MH-60R transition schedule

2005- HSL-41 HSM-41
2007- HSL-43 HSM-73
2008- HSM-70(new squadron) HSL-45 HSM-75
2009- HSM-71/72(new squadrons)
2010- HSL-40/44/47 HSM-40/74/77
2011- HSM-79(new squadron) HSL-46 HSM-76
2012- HSM-78(new squadron)
2013- HSL-51 HSM-51
2014- HSL-37/42/49/60 HSM-37/42/49/60
2015- HSL-48 HSM-48

Not sure how accurate this may be coming from a foreign magazine, but it seems detailed enough.

Edit: HSC-2 will become a FRS, if it is not already.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
2011- HS-11/14 HSC-11/14

Do you know what this means? There is no HS-14 anymore, does it mean it is being resurrected as HSC-14?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what's happening w/ the HSM squadrons. Although I think in this case, they'd switch over Sierras and fly that mission.

mike172

GO NAVY
What Type of different 60 squadrons are there? Or are they all interchangable or every squadron has a set mission?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Right now, there are 4 types of Navy 60 squadrons. HS, HSL, HCS, and some HC. They are not interchangable, but some of their missions overlap.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, HC is now HSC. Same mission, different name.

Mike, I'd really recommend you do a search, as this stuff is in the boards. But, I've got a minute...

HS: Helo-antisubmarine. Deploy w/ H-60F/H. Attached to the carrier.

HSL: Helo-antisubmarine light. Deploy w/ H-60B. Historically have cruised on DD/FFG/DDG/CG ships. They will still be on the small boys, but will start to be attached to the carrier.

HSC: Helo-strike something or other. I can't remember. Used to fly H-46s, but now flies H-60S. Deploys on auxilery ships and amphibs. General mission is Vertrep/SAR/ and now CSAR.

HCS: Again, can't remember, but these guys are an active reserve force that fly HH-60H. You can't pick them out of flight school (usually). They specialize in CSAR and spend a year at a time in Bahgdad lately. There's two squadrons and they alternate.

HM: Again, they're mission is changing, but Counter mine warfare. Fly the H-53E.