• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS squadrons

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Except for the whole Asian coast/Pacific rim. But otherwise, no.

mike172

GO NAVY
Can someone who flys the Seahawk, tell me what you do? Is it sweet or do you sometimes wish you got to blow **** up. Or do you blow **** up? What am i saying? I dont even know...:confused:

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
What are they doing when on deployment, theres not to many submarines that need killing...

Didn't I hear something about a new type of diesals that are making things difficult for us to track? What about basically the entire Pacific coast in Asia?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ASW is starting to make a come back, and will slowly start trickling down to the fleet.

Day to day an HS squadron flies plane guard. Then maybe a couple log runs. Then when cool stuff goes down maybe you take some SEALs somewhere, or you stand some CSAR strip alerts, or take down some ships.

Overall it is pretty cool. I think in the Navy it gives you the most exposure to the most types of helo missions, but it makes you a jack of all trades.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Oh, I'm sorry. CSAR = Combat Search and Rescue (i.e. rescuing people behind enemy lines). Taking down a ship is conducting an HVBSS (Heliborne Visit, Board, Search and Seizure) of a non cooperative ship (i.e. take control of it because we think it has terrorists, weapons, we have even done it for ships in violation the Iraqi oil embargo of the 90's)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HH and I are always going back and forth about HS vs HSL. I still say that HSL gives an equal number of mission availablities, it's just some are different missions (CSAR vs ASU/surface classification and targeting). And on the Pacific side of things, ASW is definitely a top priority.

CSAR stands for Combat Search and Rescue. Basically going over the beach and picking up a friendly in bad guy land, either with, or by SEALs, or some other direct action troops. Very sexy.

(And I can read the forums again! Thanks John!)

EDIT: Bah, you beat me to it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Basically going over the beach and picking up a friendly in bad guy land, either with, or by SEALs, or some other direct action troops.

Just a quick clarification gatordev. Additional troops/SEALs are not required for most of the CSAR ops that the Navy advertises it is capable of. In a battle group, err strike group, SEALs are so hard to come by we might never be able to pick anyone up if we had to wait for them.

mike172

GO NAVY
Is all that on top of ASW? Also what is all this talk about helos workin in Iraq? Is this the "New thing" for Navy Helos or just something extra going on.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, it doesn't mean we are doing it all in the same day. But we maintain a certain number of crews qualed in all of those missions. You can only do so much with 6/7 helos. What exactly are you talking about in Iraq? I know of a couple different Navy helo missions in Iraq.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, the HCS sqdns have been doing some thing in Bagdad. Also, the Navy has stood up a Medevac det.