• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to tell a MH-60R from a MH-60S

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hater.

HSC-8 has actually scaled back their CAG bird. 610 on their last cruise was way over the top with it's coolness.

What can be said about that paint job that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan? It's bombed out and depleted.

hate, hate, hate, hate, hate...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
FYI, 3B is link 16 and moving map. 3A is your basic armed helo package, but the armed helo kit is separate from the block 3 that the Navy takes from Sikorsky. They're outfitted with B kits in Alabama and then sent out. A decent explanation of what "b kits" are can be found here. (scroll down.) Basically, A kits are the mods to the original helicopter that allow the mounting of modular B kits.

Bevo16

pilot
There are still distinctions between old HS and old HC squadrons, except they're now called HSC(expeditionary) and HSC(CVW). As I understand it, HSC(CVW) squadrons are being outfitted with block IIIs exclusively when they transition to the 60S. HSC(exp) has been and will continue to fly Block Is and IIs until there are enough block IIIs to go around. There's also a distinction between block III aircraft and block III aircraft with the armed helo kit.I've heard them called "bat wings" and they, along with the FLIR, the AMCM package and internal aux tanks are modular and can be removed as needed.

Clear as mud, right?

When HS-8 became HSC-8, they had a mix of block II and block III aircraft. I am not sure if they got any block I's or not, but I don't think they did. There is not currently, and probably never will be enough block III aircraft to outfit an entire HSC (CVW) squadron with them.

The theory is that the HSC squadron will have enough block III aircraft to do all of the ASU/NSW/CSAR stuff that is required and have the block II aircraft for plane guard / SAR. Think of it as the III taking the role of HH, the II taking the role of the trucked out F's, and the Romeo taking the place of of the B/F (full).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Here's how the 60S looks to me on most days...no mission kits here, just PMC.

Attachments

• P1000066.jpg
    P1000066.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 135

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Next set of questions I have been curious about but not quite sure how to word it.

Does each squadron have multiple block I, II and III a/c?

Or is it each squadron has only common block a/c so in turn certain squadrons have a monopoly on Air Ambulance because they are the only ones with Block II Air Ambulance, while the next squadron is mainly Block IIb so it will be a ASE squadron, and another with Block III so it is going to be a CVN CSAR/Strike mission.

Also, if I have read everything correctly certain squadrons are expeditionary squadrons while other are CVN squadrons. Is that correct? If so, is it common knowledge which are the CVN and which are the expeditionary?

edit: Bevo answered a few of those questions while I was typing my post

Pags

N/A
pilot
Next set of questions I have been curious about but not quite sure how to word it.

Does each squadron have multiple block I, II and III a/c?

Or is it each squadron has only common block a/c so in turn certain squadrons have a monopoly on Air Ambulance because they are the only ones with Block II Air Ambulance, while the next squadron is mainly Block IIb so it will be a ASE squadron, and another with Block III so it is going to be a CVN CSAR/Strike mission.

Also, if I have read everything correctly certain squadrons are expeditionary squadrons while other are CVN squadrons. Is that correct? If so, is it common knowledge which are the CVN and which are the expeditionary?

edit: Bevo answered a few of those questions while I was typing my post

Back in the day, there used to be HC and HS squadrons. HC became HSC Expeditionary (Exp) and HS squadrons are going to become HSC Air Wing (CVW). HSC (Exp) is detachment based, sending out Gator SAR dets and USNS Vertrep dets. They also encompass some of the cats and dogs of the Navy helo world, including logisitics support out of Naples and Bahrain, recent humanitarian dets of Mercy and Comfort, and Air Ambulance. Naples and Bahrain are owned by two seperate east coast HSC squadrons. Air Ambulance is a west coast thing and they have some sort of rotation set up between the squadrons out there, not too sure how it works. HSC (CVW) goes out with the carriers and does air wing stuff, like CSAR, strike, ASUW, SAR, etc.

Eventually, HSC will also add OAMCM for organic mine hunting to its capability list. I know the initial idea was to have a det on LCS-1, but this has yet to come to fruition. I'm unsure if this will only be the mission of Exp squadrons, or CVW as well.

ASE=aircraft survivability equipment. Different types of countermeasures allow you to operate an aircraft in different threat environments.

I believe the plan is for each squadron to have a mix of birds, but don't know too much about it. My squadron has a bunch of Blk Is and a few Blk IIs for long range logisitcs.

The VERTREP pic that HJ put up above is of either a IIb or a III. You can tell by the lumps on the nose for the ASE gear and the trapezoidal mounting point on the tail for the CMDS buckets.

Right now, there's only one CVW squadron, HSC-8, which is the squadron in the pictures. As more birds come off of Sikorsky's line, the old HS squadrons will trade in their F/Hs for 60S. All the expeditionary squadrons have a two digit identifier beginning with a 2...such as HSC-21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28. The reserve squadrons have an 8...HSC-84, 85.

The idea is that 60S pilots can transition between the two types of squadrons. You could do a JO tour at an Exp squadron and then go do a DH tour at a CVW squadron. One of the old DHs at my squadron (exp) recently screened for command of a CVW squadron.

trogdor

pilot
Yeah your best bet is the fleet fly in in October. Usually they have each community talk about whats so great about being them. Unfortunately last year turned into an HSC love-fest where the HSC guys got up and talk about how awesome HSC is. Dont get me wrong HSC is awesome( though not as awesome as HSM), it just meant no one else really got to talk about their platforms. Romeo's were not really represented that well either just because theres only one active squadron right now and they are on the west coast. 70 is coming but not until next year. The best info you can get is ask your instructors talk to them about their helo and their community. Either way you are going to love flying helos, its just going to change what your doing and how long your rag is. PM me if you have questions.

Last year's fleet fly in was a HSC love fest b/c HSC was the only community that bothered to send more than one or two birds. HSM only sent two guys (albeit with a pretty funny video) and they didn't really discuss where HSM was going (i.e. the idea of sending out a HSM/HSC CVW det).

HSC has definitely become a first choice for guys coming out of the HT's i think b/c they have developed an effective sell. (future growth/different missions/hating on the other communities) I'm sure in a couple of years, as the romeo finds its place, more and more guys will be going that way.

In addition HSC-8 isn't the only HSC squadron to be going to block III. If you just travel to where America begins its day, you find a couple of batwinged beauties hanging out. Also, 3 has a bunch of block threes.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Also worth mentioning is the west coast HSC(exp) squadrons are slated to get armed helo first, while east coast squadrons are slated to get OAMCM first, with both capabilities eventually making it to the other coast.

Bevo16

pilot
Also worth mentioning is the west coast HSC(exp) squadrons are slated to get armed helo first, while east coast squadrons are slated to get OAMCM first, with both capabilities eventually making it to the other coast.

Right. They will get theirs just as soon as HS-2, HS-4, HS-6, and HS-14 and the east coast squadrons finish their transitions.

I would bet that the FRP's in HSC-3 right now will be Department Heads before an HSC(exp) squadron has an armed helo.

Bevo16

pilot
In addition HSC-8 isn't the only HSC squadron to be going to block III. If you just travel to where America begins its day, you find a couple of batwinged beauties hanging out. Also, 3 has a bunch of block threes.

Until the next squadron makes their transition, and they steal each and every one of them. :icon_tong