• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to tell a MH-60R from a MH-60S

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fallon Helo ramp earlier today

MSM-71HSC-8.jpg

Fallonheloflightline.jpg

HSM-71Showbird.jpg

Eightball.jpg

HJ Photos

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Only one of those birds is a 60R. The rest are 60S. Can't say I'm a fan of those paint jobs on the CAG birds.

For us Helo newbs, how can you tell the different from a R and S? I just saw HSM 71 and assumed R. I want S, so I should probably know how to tell it apart...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For us Helo newbs, how can you tell the different from a R and S? I just saw HSM 71 and assumed R. I want S, so I should probably know how to tell it apart...

HSM (the "M" is the tell) 71 is/are Romeos. The Sierra is the most distinctive because it has the Blackhawk-style tail wheel. All the other Navy x-hawks have the other kind of tail wheel.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HSM (the "M" is the tell) 71 is/are Romeos. The Sierra is the most distinctive because it has the Blackhawk-style tail wheel. All the other Navy x-hawks have the other kind of tail wheel.

The tailwheel position is the most obvious as is the squadron designator (HSM vs HSC), but other tells are:
1. 60S is more akin to a Blackhawk/Pavehawk. It has cargo doors on either side (like a mini van). 60R only has a smaller door on the right side. 60S also has gunners windows between the cockpit doors and the cargo doors.

2. 60S has HIRSS, which is an exhaust suppressor system. You can't see it very well in the pics above, but it's a boxy looking duct around the exhaust, while the 60R just has circular holes in the side of the fuselage.

3. Stores carriage. The Blk III 60S carries external stores on a Blackhawk style stub wing, as seen in the first picture. 60R has pylons that are lower on the fuselage and mounted further aft.

4. Radar. The 60R has a radar under the forward fuselage. It's the big dinner plate looking thing under there. The 60S has no radar.

Navy helos as a community seems to do an awful job of informing our next generation of the differences in the communities and the roles they play. I still remember a week or so before selection a buddy of mine came up to me and said "is there a difference between the 60B, 60F, 60H, and 60S? I just thought I wanted to fly 60s."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The tailwheel position is the most obvious as is the squadron designator (HSM vs HSC), but other tells are:
1. 60S is more akin to a Blackhawk/Pavehawk. It has cargo doors on either side (like a mini van). 60R only has a smaller door on the right side. 60S also has gunners windows between the cockpit doors and the cargo doors.

2. 60S has HIRSS, which is an exhaust suppressor system. You can't see it very well in the pics above, but it's a boxy looking duct around the exhaust, while the 60R just has circular holes in the side of the fuselage.

MH-60R which replaces SH-60B + SH-60F and retains same tail wheel location

MH-60Rprofile.jpg

MH-60S which replaces H-46, HH-60H and MH-53 via configurable mission kits; note tail wheel location

NSAWCSierralowfly-by.jpg

3. Stores carriage. The Blk III 60S carries external stores on a Blackhawk style stub wing, as seen [below]. 60R has pylons that are lower on the fuselage and mounted further aft.

MH-60S in foreground with MH-60R in background showing differences in external stores configurations

MH-60SMH-60R.jpg

Another view of MH-60S Blk III with Hellfire racks installed

MH-60S.jpg

4. Radar. The 60R has a radar under the forward fuselage. It's the big dinner plate looking thing under there. The 60S has no radar.

View of MH-60R showing radar "dinner plate". Another tipper is mounting configuration of FLIR. Note MH-60R has the FLIR mounted "rightside" up whereas MH-60S has it "upside down" (note: FLIR is not always installed)

CVW-9MH-60R.jpg

MH-60S with FLIR installed

MH-60SHellfireonboard.jpg

HJ Photos

Rubiks06

pilot
Yeah your best bet is the fleet fly in in October. Usually they have each community talk about whats so great about being them. Unfortunately last year turned into an HSC love-fest where the HSC guys got up and talk about how awesome HSC is. Dont get me wrong HSC is awesome( though not as awesome as HSM), it just meant no one else really got to talk about their platforms. Romeo's were not really represented that well either just because theres only one active squadron right now and they are on the west coast. 70 is coming but not until next year. The best info you can get is ask your instructors talk to them about their helo and their community. Either way you are going to love flying helos, its just going to change what your doing and how long your rag is. PM me if you have questions.

Rubiks06

pilot

MH-60R which replaces SH-60B + SH-60F and retains same tail wheel location

MH-60Rprofile.jpg

MH-60S which replaces H-46, HH-60H and MH-53 via configurable mission kits; note tail wheel location

NSAWCSierralowfly-by.jpg

MH-60S in foreground with MH-60R in background showing differences in external stores configurations

MH-60SMH-60R.jpg

Another view of MH-60S Blk III with Hellfire racks installed

MH-60S.jpg

View of MH-60R showing radar "dinner plate". Another tipper is mounting configuration of FLIR. Note MH-60R has the FLIR mounted "rightside" up whereas MH-60S has it "upside down" (note: FLIR is not always installed)

CVW-9MH-60R.jpg

MH-60S with FLIR installed

MH-60SHellfireonboard.jpg

HJ Photos

Its weird to see a Romeo without the sonobouy launcher installed.

Bevo16

pilot
Only one of those birds is a 60R. The rest are 60S. Can't say I'm a fan of those paint jobs on the CAG birds.

Hater.

HSC-8 has actually scaled back their CAG bird. 610 on their last cruise was way over the top with it's coolness.

incubus852

pilot
can someone truly explain (succintly) the difference between missions of the Romeo and Sierra? I've read through other threads and still don't get it. Specifically, is either platform more inclined to be involved with specops (i.e. dropping SEALs)? Or is that community specific? It looks like the Sierra would see more combat and less vertrepping and the Romeo would drop the SEALs, since it has the room? No?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
HSC = SAR/CSAR, logistics (internal and vertrep) and, with the advent of armed helo, ASuW. Lots of utility stuff, i.e., the admiral needs to go visit the battle group - you take him around. Some NSW stuff, but we don't actually do it. Lots of practice, though. Coming soon - 2012 is the latest date I've heard - is MIW (mine warfare).
HSM = ASW, ASuW, some NSW stuff, being a sensor platform, etc.

If you want to work "specops," finagle your way to HSC-84 or the 160th. If you want to play "specops," both communities offer chances to do that.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
How is the MH-60S Block III going to be distributed among the squadrons? Or is there going to be "special" squadrons that fly nothing but the Blk IIIs?

Also, are those sponsons that hold the rails/launchers detachable? Obviously the rails come off but what about the entire getup? Seems for the realistic day to day mission of VERTREPS/SAR/Plane Guard those things just aren't necessary.