• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Many People

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Thanks for the great replys on this post as I wanted to ask the same question. I know this is prob a stupid question, but after searching I still can't find what the "RLP" inspection is.... :eek:

Room, Locker, Personnel I think, I haven't been there yet.

firefriendly

pilot
I guess it makes leaders in the sense that we are given gold bars and put in a leadership position (sooner or later). But I just meant OCS doesn't teach you how to be a leader as much as it teaches you how to survive suckiness. At least that was my experience.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
42%, duh.
Seriously, that answer isn't too far off this time. About 30% of the people who classed up in my class didn't roll once and that was about average I'd say. Definitely not a majority by any means, but also not impossible.
It really isn't a big deal, so you took 14 instead of 12 weeks to make it, although it seems like the biggest of all deals at the time.
Something like 40-45% of my class graduated in 12 weeks. So yea, 42% isn't too far off. You need to have a bit of luck to get through it the first try.

It doesn't create leaders. It just weeds out the big time losers and unmotivated.
I disagree, but like anything, it is what you make of it.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
we started with a little over 50, lost about 14 for in pfa, gained a few from a RLP, lost a few from our RLP, gained a few more due to moboard failure, graduated 28, I think 17 from the original class up.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
It doesn't create leaders. It just weeds out the big time losers and unmotivated.

i know of a few big time losers that made it through because of their class. one guy in particular i feel bad for anyone who has to serve under him.

OCS weeds out the people who can't deal with 12+ weeks of constant unmitigated bullshit

44% of our original class graduated in 12 weeks. we lost the majority due to the in-PFA and a nasty epidemic of bronchitis around week 2.5-3 ... we actually didn't lose anyone to RLP although that is certainly not the norm.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, stop worrying about your chance of FAILURE and start thinking about what you need to do to SUCCEED.

Indeed. Before Al Gore conceived the InterNet thereby enabling advent of Air Warriors, thousands upon thousands of individuals went to OCS in both sea services with relatively little knowledge of what lay ahead. Perhaps too much knowledge about the bumps and holes in the road ahead at OCS or flight school, etc. isn't good for everyone. I agree with those who have emphasized that the intent of the services is to filter out those who can't meet the physical, mental or even character challenge/standards. So asking for numbers won't help you in any way. It's far more important to know generally what's expected physically so you can prepare yourself. The rest of it is a stress filter so be prepared to buckle up as it's "tailored" by professionals real-time to temper or break you.

WOLFSON

Indeed. Before Al Gore conceived the InterNet thereby enabling advent of Air Warriors, thousands upon thousands of individuals went to OCS in both sea services with relatively little knowledge of what lay ahead. Perhaps too much knowledge about the bumps and holes in the road ahead at OCS or flight school, etc. isn't good for everyone. I agree with those who have emphasized that the intent of the services is to filter out those who can't meet the physical, mental or even character challenge/standards. So asking for numbers won't help you in any way. It's far more important to know generally what's expected physically so you can prepare yourself. The rest of it is a stress filter so be prepared to buckle up as it's "tailored" by professionals real-time to temper or break you.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to OCS. Although it's really not that bad. All you need to know is get in shape; if you can rock the pfa, morning pt, and the beatings, you're golden.

When it comes to flight school however, keep the knowledge coming by the way of Air Warriors.

we started with a little over 50, lost about 14 for in pfa, gained a few from a RLP, lost a few from our RLP, gained a few more due to moboard failure, graduated 28, I think 17 from the original class up.

Skim, glad to have been in that 34% with you.

Thanks for the great replys on this post as I wanted to ask the same question. I know this is prob a stupid question, but after searching I still can't find what the "RLP" inspection is.... :eek:

There is a good picture of RLP on this site, which has been referenced many times on AW:

http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

Scroll down to "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] Even a lint speck can derail dreams of being an officer"

That should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect/fear.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Very true. I am being a huge hypocrite here (I was begging for details like everyone else before I went).

In hindsight, it REALLY doesn't matter if you know the exact schedule of evolutions. I pretty much knew what was coming next, at least for the first week or two when I got there. Guess what? It sucked worse than I could have imagined, even though I knew it was coming.

The ONLY thing you need to make it through OCS is to be in good shape, and to have the ABSOLUTE assurance to yourself that the only way you're going home is with a commission, or they kick you out.

The rest you can't change. If you're not officer material, then you'll eventually be attrited. This was pretty rare from what I saw, but it happens. But you can't change it so just trudge on and keep working and you're one day closer to commissioning at a time.

That's ALL you need.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
Of our class of around 29:
0% rolled initially for PRT
2 people rolled for swim
1 rolled for injury and subsequently DOR'd
1 DOR'd on the first day (within the first 15 minutes)
4 were gained from a previous class for RLP
0 rolled for RLP
30 commissioned on time
1 commissioned 4.5 months late due to a stress fracture late in the game

(of course, this was back in P'Cola)