• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Many People

Piacevole

How many people actually make it through OCS in the prescribed 12 weeks? Is it a really small percentage, or have I just read too many horror stories?

scooter986986

Are you asking how many people get injured, or NPQ, or DOR, or what? I went Marine so I don't know much about Navy OCS but from what I heard, an easy majority make it.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
42%, duh.
Seriously, that answer isn't too far off this time. About 30% of the people who classed up in my class didn't roll once and that was about average I'd say. Definitely not a majority by any means, but also not impossible.
It really isn't a big deal, so you took 14 instead of 12 weeks to make it, although it seems like the biggest of all deals at the time.

nugget61

pilot
42%, duh.
Seriously, that answer isn't too far off this time. About 30% of the people who classed up in my class didn't roll once and that was about average I'd say. Definitely not a majority by any means, but also not impossible.
It really isn't a big deal, so you took 14 instead of 12 weeks to make it, although it seems like the biggest of all deals at the time.

So ~30% in your class made it straight through - can you give an estimate of the numbers that were DOR, NPQ etc so that we have an idea of what % rolls and graduates?

Raptor2216

So ~30% in your class made it straight through - can you give an estimate of the numbers that were DOR, NPQ etc so that we have an idea of what % rolls and graduates?

Dude, stop worrying about your chance of FAILURE and start thinking about what you need to do to SUCCEED. After all, it is my understanding that OCS produces leaders...leaders who should only be thinking about what they can do to accomplish the task at hand instead of being overly concerned with how many failed before them.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There are two parts to this question:

What percentage make it through in 12 weeks? In my experience, less than half the class, sometimes as little as 20% make it through in 12 weeks with their original class.

What percent make it through OCS and commission? This is an entirely different question and provides a much better picture. I took 14 weeks. I know some who took 20 or longer. I would say 90% make it through OCS EVENTUALLY, but probably at least 50% make it through after rolling and graduate with a different class than they started with.

srqwho

pilot
There are two parts to this question:

What percentage make it through in 12 weeks? In my experience, less than half the class, sometimes as little as 20% make it through in 12 weeks with their original class.

What percent make it through OCS and commission? This is an entirely different question and provides a much better picture. I took 14 weeks. I know some who took 20 or longer. I would say 90% make it through OCS EVENTUALLY, but probably at least 50% make it through after rolling and graduate with a different class than they started with.

Am I correct in thinking that the first week's transition/PT and the RLP inspection are the main reasons/times people roll?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
About 10% of my original class rolled on the in PRT; 40% on the RLP (none of the roll-ins failed) and we had no DOR's, 1 guy rolled out for "the worst case of hemerhoids" ever (Doc's actual quote), but I think all of the people in our original class made it through by 20 weeks ('roid guy being last)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
About 10% of my original class rolled on the in PRT; 40% on the RLP (none of the roll-ins failed) and we had no DOR's, 1 guy rolled out for "the worst case of hemerhoids" ever (Doc's actual quote), but I think all of the people in our original class made it through by 20 weeks ('roid guy being last)

GOD, if there was ONE place I would hate to have hemorrhoids, it would be OCS. Man, that would miserable (even more than normal).

How did he get them?? Squeezing too hard on a deuce in one of the 2 minute head-calls?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
GOD, if there was ONE place I would hate to have hemorrhoids, it would be OCS. Man, that would miserable (even more than normal).

How did he get them?? Squeezing too hard on a deuce in one of the 2 minute head-calls?

Pure stress I think...dude was kind of twitchy, Gunny W. assigned him to write the Marine Corps Hymn 100 times...and the next day he upped it to 1000x because the whole class wrote 2x each to help him...it was about two days after that the guy literally could not stand up straight. Had to have surgery and all...Master Guns reportedly said "I've been in combat and never seen a guy in that much pain"

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
Thanks for the great replys on this post as I wanted to ask the same question. I know this is prob a stupid question, but after searching I still can't find what the "RLP" inspection is.... :eek: