• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How many Natops does a Natops pilot Q...

ip568

None
Congratulations! Well done!

Now the bad news ... NATOPS and INST exams twice a year every year for the rest of your flying life...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
Congratulations! Well done!

Now the bad news ... NATOPS and INST exams twice a year every year for the rest of your flying life...
Twice a year? He's going TACAIR, not P-3s! ;)

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Twice a year? He's going TACAIR, not P-3s! ;)

Brett

Hell, we only do 'em once a year as well. At least these days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:

I don't know, I remember talking w/ John one day as he was studying for his quarterly NATOPS test. <shudder>

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I don't know, I remember talking w/ John one day as he was studying for his quarterly NATOPS test. <shudder>
Yeah, in my VP days, we had quarterly tests. What was that all about?:eek:

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
quick explanation to avoid blatant threadjack:

Quarterlies are just in-house tests to make sure everyone is prepped for the annual visit from VP-30. They don't count for anything and can serve as a wake-up call for certain individuals. I can't remember ever actually studying for one. Usually it's the nuggets that are freaking out about them. Miss too many, and the Training O will give the guy the "Hey dood" speech. As in "Hey dood, WTF?"

The annual, however, is a no-joke ballbuster, proctored and meticulously graded. The open book test on performance calculation is the tough part.

We do have to take a NATOPS exam before any official checkrides, whether you're current on the annual or not. Dunno if that's just us.

Re-alignment: Congratulations Ryan.

ip568

None
Twice a year? He's going TACAIR, not P-3s!

Really? Who would want to miss not being selected as the "Barrel Crew" when the Wing came down and gave the squadron its annual NATOPS exams/severe beatings?:icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
Twice a year? He's going TACAIR, not P-3s!

Really? Who would want to miss not being selected as the "Barrel Crew" when the Wing came down and gave the squadron its annual NATOPS exams/severe beatings?:icon_smil
Been there, done that - no thanks. ;)

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Moved this over here, because I have a question and it's off topic...

So the wing comes every year? That's still overkill, at least for us. Yes, you heard it here, HSL calling VP out on the anality quotient. I'm sure it stings a bit. I think it's a 2 year thing for us, if I remember correctly. Obviously the annual thing was in house for everyone but the NATOPS O.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
gatordev said:

So the wing comes every year? That's still overkill, at least for us. Yes, you heard it here, HSL calling VP out on the anality quotient. I'm sure it stings a bit. I think it's a 2 year thing for us, if I remember correctly. Obviously the annual thing was in house for everyone but the NATOPS O.
It used to be once a home cycle for VP, but my last squadron tour ended in 1996.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:

IP may have misspoken. At least in my VP days, and I suspect that it is still the case, the NATOPS model manager (VP-30) conducts an annual (12-18 months) unit NATOPS evaluation. That's also standard in the VAQ community. These unit evals are independent of people's annual NATOPS checks which are done in-house. There may be ancillary program inspections as part of some periodic wing "look" but the unit eval is performed by the model manager. I can't remember from my CHSLWL days if they are the HSL model manager, or if 40 plays that role.

Brett

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I was talking about the unit eval. And now that you mention it, I guess it was 18 months or so. For us, it was Wing for Wing. So west coast RAG MM would go to the west coast squadrons, and east coast would do the same. When the RAGs would get inspected, the other wing MM (ie, the other RAG) would come and conduct it.

My question/comment was more a dig at having to do it every year.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have no idea what a "Barrell Crew" is.

To reiterate, the 'real test' is once a year, given and overseen by VP-30. Quarterlies are in-house proficiency checks to make sure no one has severe NATOPS amnesia. They aren't a big deal (many times I did mine alone in my office). Maybe the Wing madated them (I wasn't a training guy), but they had nothing to do with the administration of the test.

I think we all know how NATOPS centric the VP world is, I'm sure this is a community specific thing.

As far as "overkill", yeah, I guess. Cultural differences.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Viking community went with the 3790 standard 18 month cycle. I think we even used the waiver option to delay one out a bit later. In a 42 month squadron tour, we did 2 unit evals with a third a few months after I left. I believe that the same is true in the VRC world. In both communities, the FRS, acting as model manager, does the unit evals.