• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard is it to become a pilot?

new_recruit

I'm curious, just how hard is it to get selected for aviation or NFO?
I have some close friends who have aquaitences in the navy and this is what they told me. Besides getting pro-reced for pilot or NFO, and then OCS, after that you have to go through pilot school. Its only like the top 20% or less of the clas who get the choice assignments. Translation, once everything is said and done only like the top 1% get to fly jets. Is it really that tough?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'm curious, just how hard is it to get selected for aviation or NFO?
I have some close friends who have aquaitences in the navy and this is what they told me. Besides getting pro-reced for pilot or NFO, and then OCS, after that you have to go through pilot school. Its only like the top 20% or less of the clas who get the choice assignments. Translation, once everything is said and done only like the top 1% get to fly jets. Is it really that tough?

Sounds like someone pulling our leg a little? Ah well, in case it isn't, here's an ignorant person's (my) perspective.

Basically, selection is a crapshoot. Some weeks, yeah, it really is that tough to get a jet slot, other weeks it might not be. Also, the thing that dictates who gets what is FIRST and FOREMOST the needs of the Navy, which change on a week to week basis.

Ultimately, I decided I wouldn't apply if I didn't think I would be happy flying whatever I end up selecting. That's the best advice I can give: It's fine to set a goal to get a jet slot if that's what you want, but keep in mind you have a good chance of ending up flying something else.

new_recruit

Thats cool too. I would love to be a pilot. To be honest, I really have no idea so I thought I would ask here. (and put up with a few people harassing me for asking a kinda dumb question)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Thats cool too. I would love to be a pilot. To be honest, I really have no idea so I thought I would ask here. (and put up with a few people harassing me for asking a kinda dumb question)

No worries, fella I had the same questions when I was considering applying. As to how difficult it is to get a pro-rec and a select for pilot or NFO, I would say it is moderately difficult.

That is, if you are committed to getting a slot, you will probably eventually get one as long as you are physically qualified and have half-way decent test scores / transcripts / letters of recommendation / etc. The problem is you might not get picked up on your first application, or even second depending on (again) the needs of the Navy and who else applies.

I was lucky enough to get selected on my first go, but I've seen more than a few folks just through this message board not make it on their first attempt but get picked up on their second or third try.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Basically, selection is a crapshoot. Some weeks, yeah, it really is that tough to get a jet slot, other weeks it might not be. Also, the thing that dictates who gets what is FIRST and FOREMOST the needs of the Navy, which change on a week to week basis.

That's the best point to take away from here. Apply, go to flight school, do your best, hope that there's a jet spot. 99 times out of 100 if you're first you'll get your choice, but the needs of the Navy matter more so you may end up flying what they tell you to fly.

As for it being the top 1%, there may only be 1% of the people who initially apply who get to fly a jet, but honestly, it's not all of the best pilots. I've seen guys who have had almost an 80 NSS want nothing to do with jets or flying them. My point is simply that some of the best pilots in the Navy aren't jet guys, which can apply to any platform the Navy has.

Good luck.

usmcecho4

pilot
If you apply to the Marines and are accepted as an air contract you have a 100% chance of going to flight school (after a few hoops of course). Something to think about.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Rasczak

Marine
If you apply to the Marines and are accepted as an air contract you have a 100% chance of going to flight school (after a few hoops of course). Something to think about.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4
And...you'll get to be a Marine. That's always a plus

jride200

Again, the "guaranteed flight spot" mantra or the Marine Corps. If your commissioning source in the Navy is OCS (be it straight OCS or the BDCP program) and you are accepted physically and professionally to be a SNA, if you have the desire, you will go to flight school, 100% chance.

JR

MasterBates

Yep..

OCS candidates, be it if they get there direct, or via BDCP have a designator lined up before they sign on the line.

It's then up to YOU to make it happen.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I heard that Marines stationed in Iwakuni get a pretty steep discount on mountian bikes...