• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you stay motivated to work hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big

USNA Class of 2008
I'm in my second semester of fresh year also, and it just seems a bit harder for me to focus this time around. I took 18 credits last semester and even took 6 over the summer immediately following my HS graduation to get a head start, and it has just burned me out completely. The little winter break is really not enough to seperate the two semesters. So overall out of 7 classes including calc1 and chem1 I've gotten all A's and a C (bloody sexist PSC professor) and am doing well right now too(all A's and a B), but I would be totally screwed right now gradewise and NEVER would have gotten such decent grades last semester if I didn't know when to take breaks.

So my vote for best way to deal with the workload is just balance. Whatever you enjoy doing that destresses you to the point that you don't think about college or tests or hw or anything at all is what you NEED to do between study periods, during free time on weekend or whenever else you can manage it.

Also, two other things that seem small but really play a big factor is just simply to go to class regularly and get some sleep. Especially sleep. You will find it is extraordinarily easier to understand concepts and memorize things if you have had a decent nights rest. And when you're tired and annoyed as heck from trying to learn garbage you hate and will never use (social sciences, fine arts, multicultural crap etc.), sleep will make the difference.

jfk

its threads like these that make me really glad this website exists.
add me to the list of 2nd semester freshman who cant get it together.
i'm trying to decide if i should stay up here at school and take classes over summer to help out my gpa. also wondering if i should drop aero. engineering for an easy history, or something like that...

it always comes down to the immaturity. all i need is 2-4 hours a day of studying for all that calc, chem, phys, etc. then i can relax on weekends at beach, w/ friends, etc.
its a simple equation guys, we just need to pull our heads out of our a$$es, and get the grades to get in the cockpit.

DestinedAviator

Yeah big, getting enough sleep is something I need to do more of...and I also got used to missing classes this semester, whereas last semester I went to most of them. Good tips! :icon_mi_6 And jfk, you're right too man, I know with me I definately could've avoided this situation because I simply haven't been working hard enough at all, so I've been falling far behind enough to cause me to start to not even care. It really sucks! We just need to keep our main goal in mind, which is to fly, and get into gear. The Navy doesn't want people who aren't going to give their all to everything they do. They want people with what I call the "top gun mentality," which is when you're totally focused on being the best of the best at what you're doing and always striving to work harder than the man next to you. It's also about knowing that you can do anything you set your mind to. I personally feel that if we go after college with this mentality then we will succeed. :icon_smil

big

USNA Class of 2008
Right, and all my friends at college now who are sophomores-up all complain that the spring semesters are always harder, so I think it's just natural to feel the way we all do. As such, it'd also probably be a good idea to plan your hard/overloaded courses for the fall semesters and a little less difficult workload during the spring. Dunno if this interests you, but if you can I suggest taking all the garbage classes you need like fine arts etc. during the summer (just one class), since its easy and you'll just be sitting around anyways (if that applies to you).

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Back in Nuke power we had a story: When the future President Jimmy Carter went to see ADM Rickover for his interview out of the Academy he was asked, "Were did you finish?" and he said with pride, "number two." The grumpy Admiral asked him, "Why not number one. Did you work as hard as you could have all the time." The president thought and said, "not all the time." After throwing him out of the office and calling him back in, the Admiral asked, "Why not?"

Words I have asked myself many times in this process.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Sailorman1982 said:
Yes, take time out for yourself...and there is always palmela for motivational support

That comes from one who knows what sea duty is all about.

palmettoguy4519

Oh my God, you don't know who Palmela is? Well, Palmela is every straight or even less straight sailors' friend. She never complains, she never ask for money, she is always there no matter where you are, and best of all she is always in a great mood. Every guy has his own Palmela, if you share your palmela, however, the US Navy will not tolerate it, nor will your bunk mate! :icon_hamm

GOOD LUCK!

Integer

Banned
Montell, that quote is from Carter's autobiography, I believe. And I don't think he was thrown out of the office.. However, that is a funny story.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Don't sweat the GPA thing, man. I know a couple of people who got pro rec'd with a 3.0. It's the whole package that counts, and certainly a good GPA won't hurt. The Navy currently needs pilots so they are a little less picky when it comes time to select candidates. Keep your dreams in perspective; Play a sport, get involved in the community, and just make the best of your time in college while striving to do well.

Most ordinary people in this world have made some minor mistakes in their lives and the Navy recognizes this. I don't know if I would buy too much into the perfect person hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.