• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do you stay motivated to work hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DestinedAviator

:confused:
Hey all,

I'm currently in the second half of my second semester of my freshman year in college and I've been having trouble staying motivated lately. My long-term goal is to become a naval aviator, and I know to be considered for OCS I'll have to have at least a 3.5 GPA or above, and the Navy only wants the best of the best; the most hard-working and determined people out there, so I was just wondering if anyone had some good advice to give me on staying motivated because at the rate I'm going with doing just enough to get by, that'll never get me where I want to be. Thanks a lot!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Do what our Skipper at VT-28 said. Rent Top Gun and have a couple beers.

Dave

DestinedAviator

:D I like that idea! I own that movie on DVD (every naval aviator/wannabe should own it!) I haven't watched that movie in a couple of months! That's probably the reason why I've gotten less motivated, haha. Thanks for the tip! :icon_wink

thumper

Go get a part time job washing dishes. If you gaff off college, at least you will have a foot in the door for your future career.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
thumper said:
Go get a part time job washing dishes. If you gaff off college, at least you will have a foot in the door for your future career.

That ain't no sh*t!!! Listen to him!

I work at Wallyworld, to put my self through college, and the idea that I might work there the rest of my life keeps me motivated to do the best I can in college. The Van Halen "Dreams" video motivates me to excell.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
One of my high school volleyball coaches graduated from Ithaca College with a BA in pyschology. He wasn't a teacher, he was a waiter at Applebee's and he lived with his parents. That was enough motivation for me.

GVSURob

Drink a sixer and watch Rocky IV for PT motivation... no pain!!
Also, the soundtrack is the best I've ever heard for running... I think they had that in mind when they made it because every song is between 120 and 135 bpm.

Robert Mathey
Grand Rapids, MI

Go take a flight lesson. It worked for me.

Or you can work your ass off to get back on top of things, then keep working your ass off because you'd never want to be overwhelmed again. It got me through Calc and physics.

DestinedAviator

Yeah that's a good idea, Ace. I've taken two introductory flight lessons so far and those were awesome, and yeah...I just have to work my butt off and then keep on doing it so that I won't be overwhelmed!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
This is the biggest thing man, does not matter if it is for school, or even once you are an SNA.... You HAVE to decompress man. At least once a week you need to do something that in no way relates to school in order to give your mind a chance to recharge.
I learned this the hard way. Sure working hard at something 7 days a week will get you great results initially.... but you WILL burn out if you do that. Now I work Sunday through Friday in flight school. Friday night and saturday (barring no weekend flights) are mine to do anything but think about flight school... IE go to the beach, movies, whatever floats your boat. On sunday I am relaxed and ready to go again and get better work done in that one day than I would have trying to study all weekend.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
BCH is right, you have to take a break on the weekends. This program is extremely work intensive and your head will explode if you dont get away from it sometime.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
become a liberal arts major. then, you don't even need to be motivated to get a 3.5. you can drink your college days away, PT, and have better stories.

-only half-joking

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yes. i too am having this problem. but i guess my case is alittle different; i don't know how to call it- oh, let's call it laziness. i used to do 400 push ups, 400 sit ups, 40 pull ups and 150 dips everyday during summer. when last and this semester came along, it killed my whole entire schedule. now, instead of doing work to maintain with the flow of the class, i just want to stare and say "i am f##cked." i don't know if it's depression of now (and i freakin' hope not), but i'm kinda going insane here. i'm taking chem and physics together, and maybe it's the MIT graduate looking down at us, but just once, i wish that i can stand up and punch his face because he makes everything look so easy (btw, i passed anger management during HS, so please, no comments on that.)

now that being said, tell me what i must do! i'm going nuts, and already have grown about 100 strands of grey/white hair-and i'm only 20!!! any help would be nice. and if you'd like to make an offensive comment to me in order to "jump start" my life again, feel free to do so, but please send it to me in a PM. i'm open for any suggestions!!!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not trying to bust you here, but if you're having motivational problems then Naval Aviation may not be the best career choice for you. Sure, school is hard and people get burned out. I realize that. But you've got some time to figure out what you want in life. Once you know what you want to do and set a goal, getting there becomes second nature. You will do anything it takes - it's called being passionate. At least that's how it was for me.

Just work hard in school, PT to stay in shape, and do some extracurricular activities like team sports or other leadership-oriented stuff. They look at the "whole person," so if one particular part of your application isn't outstanding, it can be made up by another part. For example, I heard that someone from my recruiting district got an OCS date with a 2.9 GPA or something. Just do your best - that's all that anyone can ask. And, as someone posted above, DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN. You'll regret it later if you don't take some time for yourself.

Good luck,
BEN

Status
Not open for further replies.