• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Household goods weight limit and excess charge?

incubus852

pilot
I'm moving from rotc on the west coast to start ifs/api in january. I don't think my car is gonna make it 3500 miles across the country, so I think I'm do the following:
1) sell my current car here
2) have the navy move my house hold goods (600lb limit, TDY, right?)
3) fly from here to pensacola and buy a new car

i figure ill have to pay for the plane ticket and i won't get the 15 cents per mile but i will get $99/day for travel...right?

does this make sense? how much do you get charged extra for each pound over the limit?

and ive already sold all my furniture and random stuff... so ill basically have clothes, computer and two guitars.

ive searched and checked out the threads about how much ill get for pcs and any dity related thread but where/who can i actually talk to that knows about this shit? my lt isn't much help and the GS at my unit is in the hospital indef. any help or guidance would be appreciated.
:confused:

snake020

Contributor
I'm moving from rotc on the west coast to start ifs/api in january. I don't think my car is gonna make it 3500 miles across the country, so I think I'm do the following:
1) sell my current car here
2) have the navy move my house hold goods (600lb limit, TDY, right?)
3) fly from here to pensacola and buy a new car

i figure ill have to pay for the plane ticket and i won't get the 15 cents per mile but i will get $99/day for travel...right?

does this make sense? how much do you get charged extra for each pound over the limit?

and ive already sold all my furniture and random stuff... so ill basically have clothes, computer and two guitars.

ive searched and checked out the threads about how much ill get for pcs and any dity related thread but where/who can i actually talk to that knows about this shit? my lt isn't much help and the GS at my unit is in the hospital indef. any help or guidance would be appreciated.
:confused:

Do you have orders yet? Even though you are TDY at Pensacola, you should be able to ship the full 10k limit to your Primary location as that's a PCS move.

As for travel, if you're going by air you are supposed to get with the proper commercial travel office (CTO) servicing you and gov't will purchase airfare between closest large airport to where you are and Pensacola, and reduce your authorized travel time. It doesn't say this on your orders, but if your ROTC unit does it the same way my Navy supt det did it, it'll be on the paperwork they give you for starting any pay advances (DITY, DLA, etc.)

bb1125

None
Concur with snake about the CTO. As for the HHG move, you need to get with the personal property office. Not sure how support works with ROTC units, but I'm sure there's someone there that can point you in the direction of the appropriate personal property office.

incubus852

pilot
thanks for the quick reply, however, i still need to get all of that 600+ lbs to pensacola...is there are website or resource i can check out? and to say it more bluntly, the personnel at my unit are either unavailable or dont know anything.

snake020

Contributor
If you're in NorCal (your profile says CA), go to Travis AFB and give their TMO office a few copies of your orders and they will help you out. PM me if you need more info.

incubus852

pilot
Try this:
http://dodtravelregs.hqda.pentagon.mil/propub/template.htm?view=main
It's the Joint Federal Travel Regulations. It's a huge pub, but search through it and it will tell you what you can and can't do. For details you need to talk to a personal property office. Is there a military base close to you?

yea ive checked that thing out...its actually not that difficult to navigate, but i still cant figure out what to do with stuff that is over the 600 lb limit.

the JFTR just says its not allowed to go over the limit...but then later says the member is responsible for excess...making me assume that if you go over, you can just pay a penalty versus having to find some other way of getting that extra stuff there.

but overall, is it a good plan to just sell my car here and send my stuff via HHG? thanks again

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Get in touch with the nearest personel property office and let them know your situation and give them copies of your orders. They would be able to answer almost all of your questions and inform you about the 600 lbs. If you want to fly thats cool but a friend of mine drove from cali and got well over a thousand bucks on his move. Im not sure if this is true, but several other Ensigns have told me that if you go over the 600 lbs it is subtracted from the first PCS you get when you get your follow on orders.

If you havent tried it already:
https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/

This is what I used for my DITY move from New Orleans to P-cola. There is also an option to do HHG or a combination of the two. Phone numbers can also be found on this page. If you still have trouble PM me.

Deez

pilot
Incubus852: quit freakin out man. Like i already explained to you, talk to the PPO in Seal Beach-they will straighten your panties out for you. Also, you drive a Honda. You could drive that car to pcola and back for the rest of your life if you wanted to. You are going to want a car when you get here so keep it at last until then.

If you want to fly thats cool but a friend of mine drove from cali and got well over a thousand bucks on his move.
SNA 2007- pretty sure you are talking about me, and yeah, i already told Incubus about it and apparently he forgot. As a side, we should probably do some Call of Duty IV later.

and...
Why don't you think your car is gonna make it? I personally enjoyed the drive down myself.
D_rob, happy birthday man. Wish I could have been to the celebration.

Can't believe how easy it was to id you guys. Freakin hilarious.

incubus852

pilot
Incubus852: quit freakin out man. Like i already explained to you, talk to the PPO in Seal Beach-they will straighten your panties out for you. Also, you drive a Honda. You could drive that car to pcola and back for the rest of your life if you wanted to. You are going to want a car when you get here so keep it at last until then.

SNA 2007- pretty sure you are talking about me, and yeah, i already told Incubus about it and apparently he forgot. As a side, we should probably do some Call of Duty IV later.

and...

D_rob, happy birthday man. Wish I could have been to the celebration.

Can't believe how easy it was to id you guys. Freakin hilarious.

not really sure where you explained any of that...but thanks, ill give them a call. and ill join you on call of duty.

incubus852

pilot
new question.

ok new question. like i said, i dunno if my honda will make the drive because it has a leak in the crank seal. ive been thinking of buying a new car, so here are my options

1) buy new car, drive to FL <-- thinking this is the best option.
2) buy new car, ship to FL
3) drive honda to FL, buy new car in FL
4) sell honda, fly to FL, buy new car there

any advice, both money and time wise? keep in mind that neither my honda nor the new car has much room...so i wont be able to fit much in either hence get payed very much for taking some of my own stuff.

Red_

None
ok new question. like i said, i dunno if my honda will make the drive because it has a leak in the crank seal. ive been thinking of buying a new car, so here are my options

1) buy new car, drive to FL <-- thinking this is the best option.
2) buy new car, ship to FL
3) drive honda to FL, buy new car in FL
4) sell honda, fly to FL, buy new car there

any advice, both money and time wise? keep in mind that neither my honda nor the new car has much room...so i wont be able to fit much in either hence get payed very much for taking some of my own stuff.

Why don't you compare what you would pay for the car on the west coast vs FL, don't forget to figure in taxes. Then figure in how much you are going to pay for gas to get it across the US, which is high right now. And finally, figure out how much the Navy is going to give you to drive across country. Once you figure these out, I think the answer will be clear.

If all you have is clothes, guitar and a computer, are you sure you're going to go over 600 lbs? When I went to Newport, I packed my car to the roof and only managed to get 400 lbs.