• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Household goods weight limit and excess charge?

Nomar116

pilot
Just as an FYI, because I got burned on my move to P'cola...

You need to talk to a personal property office at your nearest military base. They should give you a PCS move brief (even though you are not entitled to a PCS move). They can help you fill out all necessary paperwork and arrange the shipment of your 600# HHG.

Driving is by far your best option as you will be paid mileage. When I made the move just four months ago I could swear the rate was $.49/gallon which is tremendous. And if you load your car with any weight (which you NEED TO DO because....) you can claim a partial-DITY and get reimbursed more $$$. Saving receipts on gas/hotel/weigh station stops can then be deducted from the partial-DITY payment to reduce the taxable income you make.

To reiterate for anyone considering this, you should strongly consider where you purchase the car. While Florida is great with regards to state taxes, they have a very funny rule about repaying either state or sales tax if you have purchased your NEW vehicle within 6 months of moving to the state. Make sure you know more about this rule than I do so you don't end up costing yourself alot of money.

incubus852

pilot
at first i just said F_ck a bunch. then i checked the florida DMV's website.

Sales tax information for the motor vehicle.
• If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more prior to the time it was brought into this state, it is not subject to the six percent Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax. Documentary evidence must be shown that the motor vehicle or mobile home was used for six months or more in such jurisdiction.
• If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and license plate can be issued by the department.
• However, a credit is allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax. For credit allowed, ONE of the following would apply:
1. If the credit is equal to or greater than the amount imposed by this state, no additional tax is due.
2. If the credit is less than the amount imposed by this state, only the difference between the two would be due.'

so since california's tax is 8.25% and florida's tax is 6%, i wouldn't have to pay any additional tax, right?

phrogpilot73

You are entitled to one HOR move in your career. Since they are expecting you to go to P-Cola TAD, then your first duty station will either be Corpus, Vance, or Whiting. When you PCS, you can either go with what you have and hold on to your HOR move for a later date, or you take your HOR to Corpus, Vance or Whiting. I would advise to take the latter, because all follow on moves will be PCS.

On the backside, if you are getting out and it is voluntary (not retirement or involuntary separation) - they will pay for the distance to move your stuff to your HOR or where you entered service, whichever is greater. If you want to move further away (say you're stationed in VA, your HOR is FL but you want to move to CA) you have to pay the difference.