• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Honduran Democracy -- Central American style ...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
If you want a more balanced and nuanced view of what has happened in Honduras this is a much better summary . The authors point out that while Zelaya violated the law the opposition did themselves no favors by also violating the law ousting him in a coup.

Interesting article but I'm confused on a couple things here. First of all, they mention that while arresting Zelaya "appears to have been permissible under Honduran law," the exile was an unnecessary and illegal step and placing him under house arrest would have been a better option politically. But why? I don't understand why he would be a less sympathetic figure under armed guard in his own home than he is physically unharmed and free aside from being unable to return to Honduras. Is it just that the house arrest would be technically legal and the exile isn't?

Also, the article suggests it would have been better for the military to allow him to stay in office and attempt to carry out the referendum but refuse to support it. It seems to me that that's practically a coup anyway - how is allowing the president to sit at his desk and give orders but refusing to follow them leaving him "in power"?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....If you want a more ... nuanced view ...
An-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-d: there's your problem, Flasher ... 'nuanced' ... it's French ... probably from the French-Canadian:

nuance

One entry found.

Main Entry:nu·ance Pronunciation:\?nü-?än(t)s
Function:noun
Etymology:French, from Middle French, shade of color, from nuer to make shades of color, from nue cloud, from Latin nubes; perhaps akin to Welsh nudd mistDate:17811 :
1. a subtle distinction or variation
2 : a subtle quality : nicety
3 : sensibility to, awareness of, or ability to express delicate shadings (as of meaning, feeling, or value)

You don't 'win' ... on the playground ... in business .... in the airlines .... in the Navy .... or in most any fight, battles, wars .... w/ 'nuances' ... :)

You just lose.

I don't do 'nuances' .... I want to win.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-d: there's your problem, Flasher ... 'nuanced' ... it's French ... probably from the French-Canadian......You don't 'win' ... on the playground ... in business .... in the airlines .... in the Navy .... or in most any fight, battles, wars .... w/ 'nuances' ... :)

You just lose.

I don't do 'nuances' .... I want to win.

What the hell is there to win here though? And how is the circus that has ensued since the coup a 'win' for us?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting article but I'm confused on a couple things here. First of all, they mention that while arresting Zelaya "appears to have been permissible under Honduran law," the exile was an unnecessary and illegal step and placing him under house arrest would have been a better option politically. But why? I don't understand why he would be a less sympathetic figure under armed guard in his own home than he is physically unharmed and free aside from being unable to return to Honduras. Is it just that the house arrest would be technically legal and the exile isn't?

Also, the article suggests it would have been better for the military to allow him to stay in office and attempt to carry out the referendum but refuse to support it. It seems to me that that's practically a coup anyway - how is allowing the president to sit at his desk and give orders but refusing to follow them leaving him "in power"?

Exiling the former president was not legal, arresting him or impeaching him would have been. Doing the 'right' thing would have gone a long way to legitimizing the present government, but alas they wanted a quick and easy win. And look where it got them, international pariahs. But they got the win, so it is all good. Right?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And what again is there to win now?

How about what's 'right' ... or would you rather see this replicated over and over and over ... ???

leftists.jpg

Like so many other things in life; if you have to ask ... I guess you just don't know. :)

HEY!! Where's Fidel in this pix, anyway ... ???? :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about what's 'right' ... or would you rather see this replicated over and over and over ... ??? [/B]

leftists.jpg

Like so many other things in life; if you have to ask ... I guess you just don't know. :)

Ahh, yes, what a fearsome trio. Tell me how these washed up leftists threaten our national security? Why we should give two shits about them? They make great copy for the international press but their impact on our national interests is about as insignificant as you can get. Best let them fail on their own, they are their own worst enemies. But I guess if nightmares of Hugo and Fidel keep you up at night......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahh, yes, what a fearsome trio. Tell me how these washed up leftists threaten our national security? Why we should give two shits about them? They make great copy for the international press but their impact on our national interests is about as insignificant as you can get. Best let them fail on their own, they are their own worst enemies. But I guess if nightmares of Hugo and Fidel keep you up at night......

Naaaaaaaaaaaahhh ... they just keep the gas prices up & the drugs flowin' to El Norte and keep us lookin' over our shoulder ... but I guess that's not a concern to our 'national security', right ... ??? :)

You need to get out more ... mebbe read a magazine, go see a movie, have a Starbucks. Or have 10. Oh, wait ... you're supposed to be @ work, now ... yea-as ??? :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Naaaaaaaaaaaahhh ... they just keep the gas prices up & the drugs flowin' to El Norte and keep us lookin' over our shoulder ... but I guess that's not a concern to our 'national security', right ... ??? :)

Chavez has hardly any impact on the price of gas and if you are really concerned about drugs you ought to be more worried about Los Zetas and the FARC.

You need to get out more ... mebbe read a magazine, go see a movie, have a Starbucks. Or have 10. Oh, wait ... you're supposed to be @ work, now ... yea-as ??? :)

Why else would I be watching this farce unfold on Al Jazeera? It is not like I get it at home.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
What the hell is the world coming to when even in Latin America, a leader can't stay forcibly ousted? :)