• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

heterophoria

blur

A-pool
Well, I just heard from my recruiter that my final select has been held up due to some "observed heterophoria" from my physical. My package has been sent to NOMI to be approved. How serious is this? Does it require a waiver? Can I even get a waiver for this? I don't know exactly what my heterophoria is. My recuiter is getting back to me on that.

Which test is the one used to determine heterophoria?

To say the least, I'm pretty nervous about this. I was under the impression that my physical was good to go.

Thanks for any insight and yes I did do a search...didn't find much on the topic...

:(

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
het·er·o·pho·ri·a (h
ebreve.gif
t
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
-r
omacr.gif
-fôr
prime.gif
emacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
)
n. A tendency of the eyes to deviate from the parallel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterophoria

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I must be honest, it doesn't look good. However, not knowing the particulars of your case....I suggest you get a second opinion. It might cost you a couple of bucks to see an Opthamologist on your own...but it could turn out to be worth it.

The waiver guide says this: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology.pdf

12.6 EXCESSIVE PHORIAS
AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Excessive phorias are frequently associated with defective stereopsis and/or diplopia, a devastating state if this occurs during a critical phase of flight.
WAIVER: CD for Class I aviators. No waivers are considered.

blur

A-pool
thanks feddoc...I'm stressin' about this and the way things seem to work at NOMI, I won't hear anything for a while...

two questions:

1.) If I am denied, is it possible for me to retake this at MEPS? I'll definitely see a civilian opthamologist...I don't care the cost...but will it actually do me any good after I'm denied? Basically, will they actually listen or will I be pretty much SOL?

2.) Which test is the one that tests for heterophoria or is it something the doc saw?

Thanks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
thanks feddoc...I'm stressin' about this and the way things seem to work at NOMI, I won't hear anything for a while...

two questions:

1.) If I am denied, is it possible for me to retake this at MEPS? I'll definitely see a civilian opthamologist...I don't care the cost...but will it actually do me any good after I'm denied? Basically, will they actually listen or will I be pretty much SOL?

2.) Which test is the one that tests for heterophoria or is it something the doc saw?

Thanks.

1. If I were in your position, I would not wait until denial came. I don't think they will listen once you are denied. If you show up with the Opthamologist' report which says you are ok, they may decide to accept that and move on.

2. If it was 'observed' only....then they very likely did not do a test. The most likely test they would do is some sort of ocular motility test. There is an example in the link provided in my first reply.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
At first, I had a whole library lined up for this one...but, having been on the receiving end of a NAMI-whammy that wasn't, I opted out - that just ain't right.

blur

A-pool
Well ok...I just got a copy of the vision portion of my physical and it looks like what I specifically have (still would like a re-evalution) is exophoria of 4.0.

I found http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139069&highlight=exophoria and http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135589, which give me some hope. It looks like the cutoff for exophoria is 6.0(can anyone confirm this??)...so I'm staying cautiously optimistic. I think I'm going to get some of those eye exercises so I ace NAMI...

I just wish I didn't have to wait so damn long...

BTW, I gotta admit I laughed at the comments, but thanks Scoob! :)

UMichfly

pilot
None
Blur, eye exercises are your way to go. Like I said in the other thread, I had it, did the exercises, and now I'm several months past NAMI and not looking back. Best of luck.