• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrklr

I think reserve officer refers to your first 8 years or something like that as an officer. Your not really in the reserves, it's just a term used

Kynavalchic

oh and to add insult to injury my lovely school has just informed me that the nice 2.6 GPA I had on the webcat (which is the only place one can get thier grades, transcripts etc.) is not true and are in the process of telling me that I am now the proud(?) owner of a 1.8 GPA, isnt that just so sweet of them. So one top of trying to get my GPA up to qualify for this I have to figure out which of my transcripts from my other schools didnt transfer or why my GPA has dropped so far. Isnt life just sweet to me?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah i would have to say that something is going on if your gpa dropped almost a whole grade point. I would go look into that if I were you

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Picking up on some loose ends...BDCP is VERY competative. I don't know of anyone with less than a 3.0 get it from my office. They will look at ASTB, PRT etc. Don't fool yourself. If we are going to pay someone $2000/mo to go to school with no other military obligation then we want the very best candidate. (I pay taxes too) Remember, this is BDCP only. You can still get accepted without the big money BDCP program. Application is identical. All OCS commissioned officers recieve a commission in the USNR, but you will be on active duty like everyone else. There is no difference in you and a Regular Navy (USN) commissioned guy until you get to the 6-10 year point when you will be expected to "augment". After that you will be USN. If you stay USNR after your first shore duty tour you will fast limit your career options. Remember USNR or USN, as a junior officer it will make no difference. The Navy owns you 25/7. You all have the same benefits and obligations. Oh, if you are in a small town you are probably talking to an enlisted programs recruiter. Make sure you are talking to an Officer Programs Recruiter.

Kynavalchic

ok Wink your basically saying that since LIFE has thrown me a lot of curve balls that I wont have a chance in to getting into this program. Well, thats not fair to say. I'm not fooling myself and for you to make a comment like that is not right. You dont know what I have been through. And I was talking to an Officer Recruiter. Maybe others have a better GPA than me and thats great but maybe they havent been through what I have been through.

uncledave

Actually wink is correct. If you do not have a 2.7, you cannot even apply for the BDCP program. If you have under a 3.0, you better be a tech major and have stellar ASTB scores to make up for it. The program is highly competitive.

"beware of what you wish for" -what the Chinese say....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You know, I see a reoccuring trend on a lot of posts with people trying to put packages together. Unfortunately there isn't a single member of this board that is currently a recruiter or has FIRST HAND OFFICIAL knowledge of what the current recruitment numbers are, or what the Navy is looking for. The majority of the answers that are of value that you ARE going to receive (which some have already posted) center around just the pure mechanics (ie 2.7 gpa minimum... etc.) of the package. It's great that people are posting their experiences with recruiters, and what did or didn't work for them. But the bottom line is to take the time and put your package in. At the end of that, you will either get in, or you won't, and that is a much more definitive answer than ppls "recommendations" or "guesses" on this forum.

I don't think anything is impossible, and I have met people that have some pretty wierd degrees and some sorry grades. They brought something to the table that the Navy was interested in. Whether it was a kick ass ASTB, a great personal statment explaining their motivation and turning around their college experience, you name it. Just be prepared that the Navy goes through cycles of needing people to apply and then suddenly that have an influx of ppl and can be choosey (sp?)....

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Find a recruiter that will work with you, get on the phone and call others in neighboring locations. My $0.02.

JayManC

Ky--your situtation sounds very similar to mine, i pissed away my first year of college, flunked out of courses, didnt show to others...in the end i had a stellar 1.9, then i realized that i didnt want to be working at Home Depot for the rest of my life, thought about enlisting, then found out about BDCP and the like. I wasnt competitive, but i was compelled to make myself so. Cut to present day:: currently have a 3.11 GPA (CIS) marginal ASTB (41, 4,6,5) OAR, AQR,PFAR, FOFAR respectively and found out some two weeks ago that I was recommended for NFO, granted I wanted SNA but at this point Im ecstatic that i was offered this and BDCP to boot. so i will tell you it is possible, you just gotta make it happen....my .02!
Jay

<insert something witty here:>

Kynavalchic

yeah well thanks to the intelligent school I go to they forgot to add the GPA of my old school in (which they could have gladly forgotten..IMO) and so now my GPA is lower than I thought.

jason12

well actually i doubt the school "forgot" to add in the old school's GPA, if you're talking about college then they did it as most schools do....i.e. if you transfer colleges (correct me if you haven't transferred colleges) they do not transfer the GPA only the credits from the prior college or university, take for example a person who goes to community college for 2 years and kicks ass and gets a 4.0 in every class, they then apply and are accepted to MIT, MIT is in no way in hell comparable to community college (not knocking CC but its obvious) and MIT knows this so therefore they will only transfer the credits...

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

Kynavalchic

well what my school did i guess is didnt mention or i didnt hear that they only used the GPA from my other school to determine admission but not cumualtive. understand?

JayManC

that sounds about right. when i look at my cummulative GPA its only reflective of the courses ive taken at ODU, i received credit from all the courses list under my A.S. when i transferred, but no Grade Points. Which from what I understand is the norm between 2-yr xfer to 4-yr
- a funny little anecdote to this topic: i was watching sorority life when this season first started, and happened to catch this little hottie (which would have made the season all that much more enjoyable to watch) anyways to cut it short, she couldnt participate in rushing, cause due to her previous GPA not transferring in her GPA at UBuff wasnt high enough -
J

<insert something witty here:>

Kynavalchic

but do the recruiters just take your cumulative from the school your at or will they just take your over all from all the schools. I guess is what im asking?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kyna...Quit whinning and get on with self improvement. The military is competitive, especially NAVAIR. Get off the computer and study. LIFE would have delt you a blow if you had lost an arm. Then there would be no chance at your dream. What I said was accurate. The webmaster is incorrect. Some of us do know what we are talking about. I am a qualified recruiter and currently work as a reserve officer supporting a Naval Recruiting District in aviation programs. Listen to Jayman C. He went out and got the scores to qualify. Which brings me to another point that is pervasive in these pages. The program requirements are just that. When there are provisions for waiver it will be stated in the CRUITMAN (the recruiting bible, ask to see it). When there is no mention of waiver then there is no waiver. Everybody thinks they are entitled to their dreams. You must make your dreams happen. Even then it doen't always work out. NAVAIR is an exclusive club and I think you want to be a part of it because it is. I only said that you don't fit the competitive profile for BDCP at this point. You can still make BDCP if you bust your a$$. If you don't make BDCP you may still get a straight OCS offer. Both lead to cockpits. They do look at your circumstances. But your personal circumstances don't change the fact that 2.7 is the absolute min. and 3.0 is generally considered the competitive min. Recruiters don't like telling people their dreams are smashed or unreachable. Maybe that is why your recruiter was simply unwilling to work much with you. Do as Jayman C and get the grades up, work on the PRT, keep yourself healthy and then call the recruiter again. You get no credit for having had a tough time in life. You only get credit for overcoming it. So get on with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.