• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kynavalchic

Right now I have about 2 years(after this semester) before I graduate college. After I graduate I'd like to become an officer in the Navy or Air Force, but I have a few small problems. The first few years in college I had some problems that were beyond my control and I responded to that by not getting the best of grades. But I've gotten back on track and my grades have vastly improved, and I'm really focused and a lot more mature. I'm 99.9% there isn't a chance in hel! that I can get into an officers training course after I graduate, but here's the question I have: I was talking to my Recruiter (who by the way didnt seem interested in recruiting me) basically said that nothing would mean anything unless you had a GPA of 4.0 and getting a degree in engineering. Well in two semesters I went from a 1.5 to a 2.5 which is hell to do, especially while working 40-50 hours a week. Am I honestly supposed to believe that the Military will look at that say thats easy to do because its not. Is there anyway I can get into this program or any program but that feat and a bunch of kick ass LOR's? Im asking this because I have no way of paying for college. I dont want to fly, I want to go into JAG or INTEL. Is there any hope for me?

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I am by no means an expert and I did get rejected from the Navy (now going Marines) but my advice would be to find another recruiter. I had a "not so great" gpa but my recruiter still worked with me to put together the best possible package. I also was applying in a sort of transitional period where the Navy was starting to "up" the standards.

To keep it short .... there are other things that you can do to overshadow your GPA ... kick a$$ on the ASTB which will show them that you DO have the brains, just had a bad situation in school. In the end ... it's up to you and the rest is up to the board so be proactive and FIND someone that WILL work with you.

Peace,

-Spin

Kynavalchic

well unfortunetly I live in a small town where there is only one recruiter...and the next nearest recruiter is 65 miles away. Would it be a good idea to try them or just try to talk to the one in town. Also he mentioned that since no one is getting out of the navy is hard to get in.

jaerose

Where exactly do you live? My situation was similar...I'll chat with you about it on AIM if you like...sign on and I'll check back in a minute...I'll be online for a while.

JR

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah..my grades sucked...but I kicked that ASTB's ass, so hopefully they'll look at that

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

jaerose

The Aviation Selection Test Battery...but I think all applicants take it because it tests you in general qualities, too. You can kick arse on it by getting a study guide, or two on the subject. Your recruiter may have one, or you could get them on Amazon, or even try Ebay. Just go through...study hard and then retake the practice exams. If you don't understand something...ask or look it up.

Best of luck,
JR

gin_e

you don't have to the ASTB for CEC or anything that requires a 'professional degree'. they have other ways of evaluating you.

Hudson

The ASTB test is kind of like the ASVAB. It tests you on a lot of different things. They take your results and do some sort of magic wand thing and then they know what areas you will do well in. The reason you take the ASTB is because they can get an Officer Aptitude Rate or something like that, that will show how successful they believe you will be as an officer. If you can show that you have worked really hard at bringing up your grades they look favorably upon that. Also in the motivational statement you will have to write you can elude to the fact that your first year of college is not indicative of your true performance. My first year of college was a lot like yours. Wrong major poor study habits and the like. Any way when I finally pulled my head from my posterior my GPA took off. I ended up with a 3.3 when I graduated. Keep working at improving you GPA take a PRT test and the ASTB if you don't do well on those improve your scores and they will see that you are willing to work to better your self.
65 miles in not very far. My recruiter is like, 300 miles from where I live. Really! As far as getting the military to pay for college you while you are in you will need to get an NROTC scholarship or in to one of the other programs that are offered. That might take time and I have no idea how hard it is to get into one of them. Some one else might shed some light on this for you.
Good Luck and remember you will never know until you try all of your options. Spend some time and research. Also put in an application and see. The worst they can say is no. They said it to me and I reapplied and got in.

Hudson

I am not sure how BDCP works except that you are accepted and then they pay you a monthly sum until you report to OCS. From what I have read here it is hard to get into.
We will all be commissioned as reserve officers I belive and at some point you become active but I can't remember what that proccess is called off the top of my head. Sorry Not a lot of info from me.

jaerose

When you are commissioned after BDCP you're an active officer. The only way you would be a reserve officer is if you deliberately signed up for the reserves, or you're serving in the reserves after your active obligation. I'm in the BDCP and I'm on (and have been for 2+ years) active duty with my Geneva convention ID, insurance, basic pay and food and housing allowances. The only thing is I haven't had any 'formal' training and I don't wear a uniform. Great program, but fairly competitive.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.