• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Determining OCS App Strength

infiniti425

Hi Everyone. I am new to this site, but have come across a number of threads. I have noticed that the advice given here is tremendous. I would like some help in determining the strength of my OCS Application for the Navy.

Within the Navy, I am interested in Purchasing, Supply & Logistics, Information Warfare, and Telecommunications.

I am 23. I graduated from Davidson College, May 2011. Davidson is consistently ranked as one of the top Liberal Arts Colleges in the country (currently #11), with a rather extreme academic curriculum. I have my B.S. in Biology and graduated with a cumulative 2.84 GPA, Math/Science GPA of 2.94. I understand my GPA is on the lower side, but I am hopeful that the academic rigor of my institution and the following leadership and professional experiences can offset the lower GPA. My grandmother passed away unexpectedly a week before my Junior Spring Final Exams, greatly impacting my final scores that semester and negatively adjusting my overall GPA.

During College and Prior: I attained my Eagle Scout Rank in 2007 and have remained an active member of BSA. My Service project consisted of organizing and erecting a police memorial in Miami, FL. I was a Mentor for a program at Davidson, funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, to stimulate development and success in mentees of the program. With this progmam, I helped establish a non-profit organization to collect funds for a Mission Hospital in Africa. Where I studied abroad for a summer as part of a Davidson College program, working in a Hospital and orphanage.

I came into Davidson to play baseball at the collegiate level, but a shoulder injury set me back during Freshman year. My position was backfilled the following year. My injury is 100% healed currently. I had a labrum tear with two anchors attached that dissolve into the bone, so therefore there is no pin to disqualify my application.

Post-Graduation Professional Experiences: Directly after graduating, I began work for for an IT Consulting/Software firm as a Jr. Business Analyst. As a JBA for this company, I worked in teams to identify operational inefficiencies for major organizations by analyzing customer behavior patterns, translating terabytes of experiences into actionable items for consideration by C-Level executives at Fortune 500 Consumer Service companies. About 3 months ago, I started work for a new company in DC as an Account Manager for an IT Federal Sales firm, servicing the federal government with Data Storage, Cybersecurity and WAN Acceleration.

I was also an Assistant Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop in Atlanta, GA during my JBA year for a troop of 75 scouts. Currently, I am finishing up orientation for to become a mentor in the Big Brother Big Sister Program.

I have extensive experience in presenting and analyzing data as a business analyst, which has instilled in me skills that I believe are critical for success as an Officer. I have the communication abilities and problem-solving skills to assess a situation, define a problem, identify a solution and then effectively execute a plan. I have worked with presentation and statistical analysis software tools: Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, JMP, Adobe Dreamweaver, RefWorks, and ClickFox CEA. My academic and professional experiences allow me to quickly understand problematic situations and adapt to my resources for rewarding outcomes. My comprehensive empirical processing skills synergistically translate into assets that are useful in analyzing and evaluating situations.

As you can see, although my GPA was not quite as high as I might have liked, I have been successful post-graduation and held many leadership roles. Davidson is a very difficult college academically and could probably guarantee that if I had attended some of my backup colleges or an online University, I would have had a 4.0. I took a practice AFQT test cold from a Study Guide today and scored correctly on 100/105 questions in the 4 main parts without having cracked open the sections to refresh my memory. Not sure how that translates to the %Score.

An enlisted recruiter told me that it did not matter whether I went to Joe Schmo University or a Difficult University, the 3.5 GPA is a strict cutoff for a competitive application.

Additional Information. I can acquire very compelling LORs.

Advice? Thoughts?

exNavyOffRec

You have listed 3 jobs that are closed so with no boards your current chance is none.

You are above the minimum for applying so you cannot be denied the right to apply IF and when there is a board, your college might come into play IF you were neck and neck, however we have people that have 3.5 GPA's in tech fields with leadership and work experience getting turned down left and right.

If you were trying for Aviation and blew away the ASTB you might have a chance, FYI, I have had several people take the ASTB after saying they "aced" the AFQT and they scored average in all areas of the ASTB, I am not sure why or just dumb luck, but that is what I have seen.

LOR's will not overcome a bad GPA, I have seen LOR's from a President of a major university, Admirals, Generals, etc.... bad GPA is a bad GPA.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
An enlisted recruiter told me that it did not matter whether I went to Joe Schmo University or a Difficult University, the 3.5 GPA is a strict cutoff for a competitive application.

Additional Information. I can acquire very compelling LORs.

Advice? Thoughts?

Your outside activities, and post college experiences are impressive...great LORs would be a plus to your package. Unfortunately, irregardless of the reasons, your relatively low GPA is going to be a millstone around your neck in the present era of heavy competition for a shrinking number of selections.:oops:

I'm doubtful that a 3.5 GPA is a strict cutoff per your enlisted recruiter, so my advice is to move ahead and shape up the most impressive package you can (LORs from Supervisors/Managers you've worked for & Military Officers or College Professors who actually KNOW YOU, are money)!:)

EDIT: If in fact there is a board per NavyOffRec above.

If you want it bad enough, sometimes hard work leads to good fortune!;)
BzB

Renegade One

None
You have listed 3 jobs that are closed so with no boards your current chance is none..... bad GPA is a bad GPA.
... your relatively low GPA is going to be a millstone around your neck in the present era of heavy competition for a shrinking number of selections.:oops: If you want it bad enough, sometimes hard work leads to good fortune!;)
BzB
Can't do better than that. Understand it's not what you wanted to hear. Wish I could help.

infiniti425

Thank you for the input guys. A Navy OCS Recruiter did call me today. He informed me that although the 2.84 GPA is not ideal, he did not tell me I could not still be competitive, given my IT Consulting background, Bachelors in Science, and Leadership qualities. He would like me to take the OAR some time in the next few weeks. I am putting together a strong list of people to request LORs from, a couple former military, including an AF Colonel. A couple professors from Davidson that know me very well and several leaders in business and their respective professions who could provide a very compelling LOR (Industries included - Finance, Law, Medicine).

The recruiter did not seem put off by my GPA, simply said to lets work on strengthening the Whole Person approach. Although he did recognize it as not very competitive, it does meet minimum reqs.

NavyOffRec, you said there are no boards for the 3 positions I listed. However, the recruiter this morning told me that there are indeed two scheduled boards for Supply and MI - September and October, respectively. this Thursday, after the holiday, he will be emailing me more information for my application, OAR, and whatever else is needed to complete the application.

I want this very badly, and I will find a way to succeed. Aside from the obvious shortcomings, are there any additional points that I can concentrate on to make up for the GPA. For instance, how much does the PFT score play a part? I am confident I will achieve very high marks, given my physical fitness levels. How much will my OAR score be taken accounted for? Can it make up for some lost points in the GPA?

Again, I very much appreciate any and all criticism. I don't need a flowery picture to boost my spirits, I can find ways to keep my head up on my own. All I require is the black and white.

infiniti425

I do have one more question with regards to the OAR. I have found the ASTB Gouge and ASTB Mechanical Comprehension and have downloaded the associated PDFs.

http://www.gouge.navygouge.com/index.php?title=ASTB

Math and Reading Skills will not be a problem for me, I simply need to brush up on some of the less frequently used concepts. My concerns are with the Mechanical Comprehension portion. Yes, I have taken Physics I & II with calculus, but that was about 3 years ago. Many of the concepts I have forgotten and need a refresher. Is the ASTB Mechanical Comp PDF found at that link enough? Does it exhaustively cover the areas of focus on the OAR? What other study methods would you suggest to succeed at this particular section?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the input guys. A Navy OCS Recruiter did call me today. He informed me that although the 2.84 GPA is not ideal, he did not tell me I could not still be competitive, given my IT Consulting background, Bachelors in Science, and Leadership qualities. He would like me to take the OAR some time in the next few weeks. I am putting together a strong list of people to request LORs from, a couple former military, including a Retired AF Colonel. A couple professors from Davidson that know me very well and several leaders in business and their respective professions who could provide a very compelling LOR (Industries included - Finance, Law, Medicine).

The recruiter did not seem put off by my GPA, simply said to lets work on strengthening the Whole Person approach. Although he did recognize it as not very competitive, although it does meet minimum reqs.

NavyOffRec, you said there are no boards for the 3 positions I listed. However, the recruiter this morning told me that there are indeed two scheduled boards for Supply and MI - September and October, respectively. this Thursday, after the holiday, he will be emailing me more information for my application, OAR, and whatever else is needed to complete the application.

I want this very badly, and I will find a way to succeed. Aside from the obvious shortcomings, are there any additional points that I can concentrate on to make up for the GPA. For instance, how much does the PFT score play a part? I am confident I will achieve very high marks, given my physical fitness levels. How much will my OAR score be taken accounted for? Can it make up for some lost points in the GPA?

Again, I very much appreciate any and all criticism. I don't need a flowery picture to boost my spirits, I can find ways to keep my head up on my own. All I require is the black and white.

Well, you see recruiters get pushed to submit applications, when SWO was closed for over a year there was one district that was actively finding people to submit, even thought they were constantly rejected.

Yes there are boards scheduled, but those were scheduled nearly a year ago, the report that comes out from Millington very clearly states the programs are closed. Your recruiter either isn't reading the emails from Millington or his command is withholding information.

PFT plays no part, it isn't taken.

OAR is almost a go no go for non aviation programs, I have seen people with low GPA's and high OAR get turned down but high GPA and low OAR get picked up, as well as people with high GPA and high OAR get picked up.

exNavyOffRec

Have you never seen someone with a Low GPA and High OAR get picked up?

Only for Pilot and NFO, and 1 supply 2 years ago

This is off the report for IW, the only goals that went up this year more than "1" were Pilot and NFO and that is to cover some goal change/and or drops in OCS, the far left "0" is FY13 goal, the "2" is those ready for FINSEL letters, the "11" are those that are pro rec'd awaiting FINSEL letter.
0 0 2 2 0 11 FY12 CLOSED, FY CLOSED (for now, unless goals go up)

Gillie1985

I scored a 38 on my OAR, but I have a 3.39 GPA. I still got to take the Aviation part of the test. I'm sure I'll get 7's on 8's on each part since I have a lot of pilot knowledge and prior AM in the Navy. Does it seems possible to get picked up for NFO?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I scored a 38 on my OAR, but I have a 3.39 GPA. I still got to take the Aviation part of the test. I'm sure I'll get 7's on 8's on each part since I have a lot of pilot knowledge and prior AM in the Navy. Does it seems possible to get picked up for NFO?

Just how "sure" are you, especially with a 38 OAR score?

exNavyOffRec

I had thought that except for those on AD NFO applications were on hold.

just because you have pilot knowledge and are a prior AM don't count on a certain score, I have had private pilot that was also an instructor pilot get 5's and 6's

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I had thought that except for those on AD NFO applications were on hold.

just because you have pilot knowledge and are a prior AM don't count on a certain score, I have had private pilot that was also an instructor pilot get 5's and 6's

Ditto. I've seen folks with PPLs get 3s and 4s on the sub scores. Maybe you should take the ASTB more seriously than with what you did with the OAR. If I was your recruiter I wouldn't even let you take the ASTB section was a 38 OAR score.

Gillie1985

Even with a 38, he said if i can pull off 8's or 9's across the board I should try to submit. As for me being sure on getting it, I'm more then 100% sure I can do it. I know being a pilot and prior AM doesn't give me any credit on the test. Yet, I'm confident I can can do good on the ASTB part.