• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
glide? who glides? its time to step out for some air at that point.

helos have this black majick autorotate thing that they do... if you are interested in wanting to stick around that long in a f'ed up bird.

Ejection seats are for the weak-minded. There is nothing like knowing that you and the aircraft are going to experience the exact same landing forces to focus your attention on the monkey stuff.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ejection seats are for the weak-minded. There is nothing like knowing that you and the aircraft are going to experience the exact same landing forces to focus your attention on the monkey stuff.

Yes, just like the Japanese said, "Parachutes are for Americans!"

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Yes, just like the Japanese said, "Parachutes are for Americans!"

Except the American's (and present day Japanese) crew brief doesn't end with "autorotate/glide into the most important looking enemy emplacement or ship". Just a slightly different mindset than the "ride it in and hope for the best" helo/chute-less heavy aircraft mindset

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I never want to learn just how well I can execute a full auto. But, you can bet my ass and yours that I for one would much rather learn that one than have to personally verify the PMS signoffs the PR shop has been doing on an ejecto-matic!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Jets fall like a coke machine from the sky without engines. Don't fool yourself on that one.

Choppers can autorotate.....which is loosely interpreted to mean "falling slower than a coke machine".

That is one of the funniest things I have seen on here in a long time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the jet side, you fly a jet. That's bad ass as long as it's not a Prowler. But dropping a bomb at 15,000 and never seeing it again isn't really my cup of tea. I want to be in the action, as little as there is right now.

I've seen every bomb I've dropped explode, be it visually or on a FLIR. Regardless, pick the platform based on mission, just like what people have said. There are pros and cons to each community. One may be more tactical than the other, one may offer better quality of life than the other, etc., etc. Talk to someone from each community, do NOT NOT NOT listen to anyone from one community trash mouthing another community. Helo guys don't know jack shit about jets (they're fucking morons) and jet guys don't know jack shit about helos (they're fucking morons).

phrogpilot73

I've seen every bomb I've dropped explode, be it visually or on a FLIR. Regardless, pick the platform based on mission, just like what people have said. There are pros and cons to each community. One may be more tactical than the other, one may offer better quality of life than the other, etc., etc. Talk to someone from each community, do NOT NOT NOT listen to anyone from one community trash mouthing another community. Helo guys don't know jack shit about jets (they're fucking morons) and jet guys don't know jack shit about helos (they're fucking morons).
There is wisdom in his post... You will love what you fly - therefore, flip a fucking coin.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I've always been partial to jets. Plus, if your engine goes out... it will glide to a certain extent (pending upon which aircraft you're in), but helos kinda fall if their engine goes down.
I think this is the distinction you're looking for:

I've always been partial to jets. Plus, if you take your hands off the controls while trimmed... it will continue to fly straight and level(ish) until you run out of gas (pending upon which aircraft you're in), but helos will continue straight and level to the count of "1 Missi-" then snap roll inverted, burst into flame, and make a bee line for the nearest hard surface or one tree in an otherwise desolate landscape.

Jets are like Old Yeller. Friendly and trusting, always there for you, and then one day they get rabid, and you have to shoot them (with a rocket conveniently attached to your ass). Helos are like mangy, ugly mutts. Approach them with one of those poles with the loop on the end of it, and give them a good swift kick to show them who's boss. Whatever you do, don't believe it when it starts to wag it's tail - that's a trick to get you close enough to bite you.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I am selecting in a few weeks and I am having a hell of a time deciding to put helos or jets first. I love the idea of flying low and slow and seeing shit blow up as I kill it. I know there are some selections out of advanced for UH-1Y Super Hueys and that or Cobras would be bad ass.

FYI, it's just the UH-1Y Huey, not Super Huey. Yes, there is plenty that is "super" about it, but let's be honest, the Huey has been super since day 1 and never needed the moniker. :D