• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing loss

torpedo0126

Any P-Cola phone numbers that I could contact to find out more about this, other than just picking a random number that I find and starting there? Thanks

You'd be surprised how much picking a random number works...

Anyways, here is the number I found on NAMI's website: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Pages/default.aspx

Also, the only experience I have is waivers is PRK. However, when you call I would recommend not listening to whatever corpsman answers the phone. I would see if you could speak to a flight doc vice what the "corpsman" has seen.

To give you an example, when I got to Pensacola, I had a cold that I had caught before I left. It had gotten much worse by the time I had checked in and I didn't want it to affect my NAMI physical. So I saw the doc the day I checked in to see if I could get something to clear it up before NAMI.

The desk corpsman informally asked me if I could clear my ears, and I told her no because I was really stuffed up. She told me that I might have a permanent problem with my eustacian tubes (spelling sorry) and probably would get dropped. However, shortly after speaking to the doc and a few pills later I was in tip-top shape.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The desk corpsman informally asked me if I could clear my ears, and I told her no because I was really stuffed up. She told me that I might have a permanent problem with my eustacian tubes (spelling sorry) and probably would get dropped. However, shortly after speaking to the doc and a few pills later I was in tip-top shape.

People around here are so stupid like that. Many are people who should know better (corpsmen). It comes from being the mindfuck of being the only thing that can trash your destiny that you have zero control over.

Main thing for the newest OP is not the +40dB. It's the assymetric loss of hearing. I'm not saying to game the game if they put you back in the booth again, but if you go for any more consults don't volunteer any more information than they ask for. Your life is 70 and sunny every day and your hearing never affects your life. You're in the perfect position to talk the docs into or out of giving you a waiver with as little as a single sentence (if it's not too late already). Establish good rapport, but give them nothing that'll make them say no.

I've been up and down this eyes/ears road here at NOMI and abroad at a few other Navy clinics/hospitals, and I think you can pull it off IF they give you another consult.

kj2008

Thanks for the advice. The hearing loss doesn't affect my everyday life AT ALL. I've taken speech discrimination tests and scored 100% which helps to support this claim. The fact that it's asymmetrical is due to an ear infection I had as a child. The hearing loss hasn't gotten any worse than it was when I was five years old...I thought this might be a positive point that would help my argument. The weirdest thing about this whole thing is that the flight surgeon wrote "waiver recommended" on my documentation and now I'm being told by someone else that it wasn't recommended (meaning one was never submitted for consideration at all).