• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing loss

tougs9

Are you in the pipeline after your pre or post TBS physical? The reason I ask is because I had some hearing loss with the higher frequencies, is this something to worry about?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think anyone is answering because they don't really understand the question. Can you expound?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If your hearing doesn't pass the test in Pensacola then there will be problems in that you will either have to get waivers or get redesignated...

I am assuming you are talking about this as an air contract...if not then someone else will have to answer....

stewyou2

If you can not pass the hearing test at P-Cola this is a chance you can get a waiver. You should get a hold of the NAMI ENT Department Head he is the man to ask questions on this subject.

tougs9

I have already passed the hearing test.......I heard we take another physical after TBS. I am already designated as an SNA, was wondering if they can still redesignate me after TBS if I was to fail my next hearing physical

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is another physical, which is the NAMI-whammy. I've mentioned it elsewhere here on the boards, but as far as NAMI is concerned, you're not an SNA until after that physical, for waiver purposes. That's not to say you can't get a waiver, but some of the items in the guide say "CD for non-designated, Waiver for designated" (or something to that effect). I have no idea how that applies to hearing, but just put it out there for general info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You may have had a NAMI physical in P'cola, but if you're in TBS now, and have not started API, then you haven't had the NAMI physical. Unless I misunderstand your situation.

There are two "flight physicals." One is for commissioning/accession (OCS, ROTC, USNA, etc). That qualifies you to get aviation. Then, when you report to API, you get another physical, just to make sure. It's stupid, but that's what happens. If I've misunderstood what you're saying, then disregard.

GPD172

hearing waiver

I have a question for all of you. I am a new member to the Air Warriors forum. I am currently serving as a sergeant in the reserves and have just completed OCS with an air contract. I lost some of my hearing when I went through Parris Island and have had a tough time hearing out of my left ear ever since. I passed the hearing test during my pre-OCS ship physical, but just barely. Does anyone know how often they give hearing waivers for flight contracts? I don't want to get all of the way through TBS as a flight contract, then get bumped down in Pensacola for my hearing. It would suck to have to take whatever is available if I get bumped. Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott O.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I know of a pilot on this forum who had -35/-35, both ears, and still passed the hearing test no problem. For some reason I got worried since I had -15/-20 ... and I was told that its no big deal and that I shouldn't worry about it. I'm not saying you shouldn't worry about it, but that was my experience posting a similar question about a year ago.