• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

He almost made it.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You guys should just roll like the reservists do... 1-800-WX-BRIEF... Guaranteed to tell me "VFR Flight is not recommended" just prior to me blowing them off and taking my chances...
Yeah, VFR not recommended? When has that ever bitten someone in the ass?

phrogpilot73

Yeah, VFR not recommended? When has that ever bitten someone in the ass?
Hasn't bitten me in the ass yet. Usually when they say "VFR not recommended" and I go anyway it's because of the weather at the field I'm at, or going to. And it's something like 800/3 or 1000/2... Yeah, it's Special VFR buddy - I'm outta here.

dustydog

pilot
In the VR community we use a Jeppesen dispatch program called Milplanner, very similar to its commercial variant JetPlanner. Using the software we can file anywhere globally, spit out the flight plan, fuel logs, weather, and NOTAMS all in about a minute. Works great overseas when you can't seem to find a place to file. Anyone else using it? It beats the hell out of OPARS but it also cost $$$. Our wing has actually received a waiver to use the Jepps WX vice the mil WX because of inherent difficulties in using FWB.

Not quite airline dispatch (which I wish we had) but getting pretty close.

KBayDog

I have never really understood filing VFR while in the military.

Nor have I, but that's the beauty of the flight schedule acting as a flight plan for the majority of the flights conducted as a rotorhead. The ODO has better vis than anybody. When we go on the road, we're still calling the ODO at the beginning and end of each leg, with the proposed route of flight, so once again - he's got better vis than anybody.

That said, while filing (and closing out!) when you're on the road is a royal PITA, especially when you're in a time crunch, I think the benefit of filing (aside from the fact that it's mandated by 3710) is that they people who call the ODO when you're overdue are the ones with the appropriate SAR assets on speed-dial. We've all stood some sort of ODO/SDO/FDO/whatever your command calls it, typically no more than a handful of times per month (and usually referencing procedures that are outdated by years!) Think of how much of a pain it is to try and find the number of the squadron next door when somebody calls for it...and then think of how much of a pain it would be to try to activate SAR assets for your overdue bird that is somewhere between, say, St. Louis and Milwaukee. Who would you call to activate a SAR plan? How would you get in contact with those agencies? What if your overdue aircraft is simply due to a boneheaded crew who arrived safely, gassed, and took off to another destination without calling you first?

Yes, the system sucks...but if the dookie hits the fan, I'd rather have FSS looking for me and initiating a SAR plan than rely on 1stLt Schmuckatelli (who, through no fault of his own doesn't know a damn thing about squadron flight operations and is stuck standing weekend SDO because he just checked in the week prior) screwing around trying to figure out what to do if he doesn't get a SOD call.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
And it's something like 800/3 or 1000/2... Yeah, it's Special VFR buddy - I'm outta here.
That's exactly the weather that resulted in 3 dudes losing their lives in the CA mountains and also the weather that resulted in 14 dudes spending the night on a snowy mountain in WV. When VFR flight isn't recommended, you shouldn't just blow off the forecaster.

Hasn't bitten me in the ass yet.
Great motto for flying. (eyeroll)

phrogpilot73

That's exactly the weather that resulted in 3 dudes losing their lives in the CA mountains and also the weather that resulted in 14 dudes spending the night on a snowy mountain in WV. When VFR flight isn't recommended, you shouldn't just blow off the forecaster.

Great motto for flying. (eyeroll)
Thanks for the update. Pretty sure I'm intimately familiar with both, seeing as how I have been to ASO school and get all the SIRs... More involved than just a decision to fly when weather's below 1000/3.

Keep looking down at me, expecting me to crash any moment in time. And I'll keep making the decisions I make. You don't know me, nor do you know how conservative/not-conservative I am. I'm also sure I've got more time flying in more varied climates than you do.

If a briefer tells me "VFR not authorized" and I can look out the window and tell his "forecast" or "observation" is full of shit - then I'll go. Mountain Obscuration? Maybe not so much. It's an educated decision to make, not one that involves getting to a wedding in Vegas...

Oh, and both mishaps you mention are active duty guys. Please point me to the last time there was a Class A reserve mishap involving weather. Pretty sure it was in the 80's. Must be something along the lines of having somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K hours per cockpit, plus guys that fly on average 100 hours a month, doing MUCH more challenging flying then we'll ever do.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, and both mishaps you mention are active duty guys. Please point me to the last time there was a Class A reserve mishap involving weather. Pretty sure it was in the 80's. Must be something along the lines of having somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K hours per cockpit, plus guys that fly on average 100 hours a month, doing MUCH more challenging flying then we'll ever do.

Just be careful with that sentiment. I know exactly what you mean, but a lot of people (who don't have the time) don't understand the intricacies and can claim you're a SAFETY VIOLATOR (sorry, I don't know how to make the TM symbol), even though you and I both know there was a lot of innate ORM going on that people don't really see.

phrogpilot73

Just be careful with that sentiment. I know exactly what you mean, but a lot of people (who don't have the time) don't understand the intricacies and can claim you're a SAFETY VIOLATOR (sorry, I don't know how to make the TM symbol), even though you and I both know there was a lot of innate ORM going on that people don't really see.
Why are you so much more eloquent then me? It must be because you're in the Navy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What? I think somebody up in DC is playing jokes on us. The Navy one is shorter and it has pictures. This is bullshit!

My personal favorite: "Avoid copyright infringement..."

Scroll down and there's a pic of a Master Chief with a Steeler's logo in the background. Oops.