• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hawkeyes!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
What's that big boxy-looking intake device sticking out the stbd fuselage on the D? More cooling air for the gear in the back?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why do P-3s and Hawkeyes have a glossy clear coat finish, but Helos and Fast movers don't? It certainly isn't to make them more pretty...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why do P-3s and Hawkeyes have a glossy clear coat finish, but Helos and Fast movers don't? It certainly isn't to make them more pretty...

I'm guessing because they don't fly down in the WEZ. That's not a dig, just the area they operate in.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could see that argument for the CODs perhaps but the P-3s are in theater. P-3s along with the E-2s have the very real future possibility to be operating in a somewhat contested area where low vis would be a real benefit to survivability.
Any experts out there?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Not an expert, but every P 3 that comes through here for MOD, SSIK, or wings gets a nice glossy paint job, some with squadron markings and some without.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The paint scheme isn't so much for visibility as it is IR reduction. The stuff is nasty caustic and expensive, so they don't use it if they don't have to.

Way I heard it, they started using a newer low-IR paint for P-3's that also happens to be glossy. E-2's, it was just decided at some point that they didn't need to use the older flat gray low-IR paint because of where they operate. They may use the same stuff now that they do on the P-3.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's that big boxy-looking intake device sticking out the stbd fuselage on the D? More cooling air for the gear in the back?

Top "scoop" is for the Vapor Cycle (avionics cooling), right scoop is for Air Cycle Machine for AC and Pressurization.

All E-2's have them, but it looks like the one on the D is bigger than those on the G2/HE2K. I'm guessing for increased PFM Box cooling capacity.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I could see that argument for the CODs perhaps but the P-3s are in theater. P-3s along with the E-2s have the very real future possibility to be operating in a somewhat contested area where low vis would be a real benefit to survivability.
Any experts out there?

Don't misconstrue my post as saying that they don't a) provide a valuable role and b) don't fly over bad guy land (well, one out of two for the P-3s...I KEED!), but what I'm saying is that they don't fly in the realm where IR paint really matters. Skid, I'm sure you weren't trying to put words in my mouth, just clarifying my post.

Once again, a SIPR AW would be nice, but from what I've been briefed on, P-3s were/are fairly well protected when they go in theatre over the desert. They're not down in the SA-7/18 range of ops doing their thing. And before the VP guys get up on arms, let me reiterate...I know they provide a valuable mission, but not everyone has the same defensive needs.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
So...the haze grey paint is IR absorbent/less reflective? coolio. thanks for the answers.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
just my two cents: i didn't like Hampton Roads b/c it was sooo polluted! yuck, i hated that place. also, no offense, but it is GHETTO there. i lived right next to Old Dominion, and there were gangs walking around 3 in the morning; it scared the crap out of me!

ODU is got some really nice campus grounds right on the James River, once you cross the street from ODU, you're in the ghetto... The Larchmont section of Norfolk is just north of ODU and is also on the water. That is one of the most desirable places to live in Norfolk!

The think with Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area is that all the waterfront area from all the rivers that meander in dozens of directions mean that there's lots of nice neighborhoods since all the nice houses are on the water.

Norfolk is really wierd in that you'll have beautiful neighborhoods and one block away you'll have lower class residential areas. So pretty much every nice neighborhood is about 2-4 blocks from 'the ghetto' no matter which neighborhood you look into.

That being said, I've done two tours in Norfolk. Don't know what you're looking for in housing. If you want an older home, live in Norfolk. If you want apartments near the beach, then look in Virginia Beach past Little Creek.
Don't go south of downtown Norfolk into Portsmouth unless you want to deal with 1+ hour(s) in traffic every day.
Chesapeake is huge! You can find condos and newer homes in every price range. You commute will pretty much suck, but that is going to be the case for pretty much anywhere you live if you're not in Norfolk proper.

Up in Ocean View and Willoghby Spit there are some great houses that are a block of so from the beach. Lots of rental homes in that area if you don't want to by.
If you are looking for apartments, if you want 'beach area' look at Chicks Beach area. If you want downtown, look into Ghent or the new places going up in Town Center in Virginia Beach that looked really nice when I left.

Good Luck and enjoy the fleet!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Chesapeake is huge!..

So is VB. One of the weirder parts of VA local gov't: once a municipality reaches a certain population, it's 'divorced' from the county. And in the case of VB, the city was split off from Princess Anne county, then eventually absorbed it. So the entire county is now the City of Virginia Beach.

Really strongly recc that anyone headed for Norfolk or NASO do house-hunting leave if you can. If even if you have to go on your own time & own dime, do it. It's just impossible to get a feel for the area via Google Maps and MLS listings - your real commute time, the neighborhood, etc. - and there's no substitute for personal recce. In the whole area, but especially VB and Norfolk, the diff between a great neighborhood and "lock your door, honey" can be a few blocks. I lived in Ocean View, where million-dollar houses were across the street from crack dens...weird and rapid gentrification.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
ODU is got some really nice campus grounds right on the James River, once you cross the street from ODU, you're in the ghetto... The Larchmont section of Norfolk is just north of ODU and is also on the water. That is one of the most desirable places to live in Norfolk!

The think with Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area is that all the waterfront area from all the rivers that meander in dozens of directions mean that there's lots of nice neighborhoods since all the nice houses are on the water.

Norfolk is really wierd in that you'll have beautiful neighborhoods and one block away you'll have lower class residential areas. So pretty much every nice neighborhood is about 2-4 blocks from 'the ghetto' no matter which neighborhood you look into.

That being said, I've done two tours in Norfolk. Don't know what you're looking for in housing. If you want an older home, live in Norfolk. If you want apartments near the beach, then look in Virginia Beach past Little Creek.
Don't go south of downtown Norfolk into Portsmouth unless you want to deal with 1+ hour(s) in traffic every day.
Chesapeake is huge! You can find condos and newer homes in every price range. You commute will pretty much suck, but that is going to be the case for pretty much anywhere you live if you're not in Norfolk proper.

Up in Ocean View and Willoghby Spit there are some great houses that are a block of so from the beach. Lots of rental homes in that area if you don't want to by.
If you are looking for apartments, if you want 'beach area' look at Chicks Beach area. If you want downtown, look into Ghent or the new places going up in Town Center in Virginia Beach that looked really nice when I left.

Good Luck and enjoy the fleet!

Don't you mean the Elizabeth River? :icon_wink CNU is on the James River, Hampton U is on the Hampton river. All 3 have sailing teams. :D