• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Having Problems in Primary. Need a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flpanthers1

I have been in Primary for the past couple months now and I am having problems. I am doing Ok, but I am stressing myself out. I've had knots in my stomach ever since I started. I don't eat very much either. I just don't feel hungry. I want to do so well that I begin to do poorly. My major in college was not one of technical nature and I think it is showing. A fifth grader could have gotten a degree in what I have. (I am trying to keep my identity to a minimum. I don't want to incriminate myself to anything) I am having doubts about myself and if I am smart enough for the program. I try very hard, but I want to be the best which may be my downfall. I have consumed myself with Primary.

I don't give myself credit for making it this far. I am happy to be here, but I wish I could retain the information better. Can anyone suggest anything they did or someone they met with who really helped them? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

SNA

Ironnads

I haven't even started ocs yet, but I am a CFI, CFII, and MEI. The best way that I have found to practice is to make a mock-up at home. Get one of those 3 sided folding cardboard presentation things like you use to get for the science fair at school. Take a marker and put all the necessary instruments and switches on it in their approximate locations. Practice your checklists at home where there isn't anyone looking over your shoulder.

Travis Alexander

Jeff

Just try not to worry so much. It took me through most of FAMS before I started to calm down a little bit. It will all come. You didnt really mention what you are having problems with, but you just have to go through everything until its second nature. For EPs and procedures I used to dribble a basketball and talk myself through everything. As for systems and stuff, for a while I would draw out at least one system every night and then all of them over the weekend. Also I would jump in the hanger queen and go through all my procedures and walk myself through a flight and then go to the Micro Sim and fly the flight there. It sounds like a lot but its not that bad, if you haven't gotten through FAMS yet, hang in there because it gets a lot more fun, until RIs atleast.

Stephen

Hey my friend, I know exactly what you're going thru. I'm in API right now and I'm not doing as well as I should. I know its easier said than done but try to relax, and ask yourself this question if you don't make it will my life be over. After all we are navy officers first everything else is just icing on the cake. I have the mentality right now is I'm going to do the very best I can to make it through the program. However if it don't work out I'll just find something else to do. And also my advice to you is turn your weakness into a strength. say if by some chance you wash out you still have your flight hours, who says you can't continue on and still get you pilot's liscence and find and even more lucrative career in the civilian world.
But that's not goona happen though you've came this far It does not make any since to loose it now. So just relax and get those wings of gold. Well I gotta go , time to study for the nav test on tuesday.

Stephen J. Hall

flpanthers1

Hey guys I appreciate all your words of wisdom. I had 4 FAMs last week and I was dead tired by Friday night. I was in bed by 9:30. All I did all week was study. I had about 3 hours a day to myself which was not studying or flying. This included eating and I was up for close to 18 hours every day. It's not fun. Flying is not the hard part, just takes practice. It's learning all the procedures and being good at it. I study all the time, and it does not seem to sink in. I am unsure if I want to kill myself for the next year to get my wings. I want nothing more, but I think about my life too. I know it would be worth it, but is it worth making myself a nervous wreck? It's not the flying that makes me a basket case, it's everything else. Not that my major matters, but I was a communications major in college. Having this type of degree did not prepare me for the amount of time I would have to put in to this. In college I took a few tests, did projects, played hockey and drank beer. Not exactly the curriculum for a pilot.

Well I need to get going, but again... I appreciat all the words of encouragement.

Chris

Hartman

Hey buddy, just remember that you made it into the program for a reason. Naval aviation is the most prestigious flying community in the world. The Navy knows what kind of people make good pilots, and you would never have been given the chance if someone didn't feel that you have all of the tools to make it happen. You've pushed yourself to the point of self-doubt and it's going to make you a stronger person. I had a difficult major in college and when things got so tough that I thought I couldn't handle it anymore, I made friends with some classmates who were doing really well in school at the time. Doing so gave me the strength to keep pressing on. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask to study with some of your classmates. A little re-enforcement might boost your confidence and your ability to retain information.

Ed Williams

Hey, all i can say is that the hard work will pay off. It may not seem like it now, but you hve the opportunity of a life time. Before you do anyhting crazy, make sure it is what you want 100% with no regrets.
ed

flpanthers1

It clicked!!!! I had FAM 8 the other day and it finally clicked. I unsat the flight because my Approach turn Stall sucked and a few other small problems. With better headwork I will do fine. It was the best flight I ever had. Maybe not flying wise, but definitely feeling comfortable in the plane. I got a few "aboves" as well, so that was a real confidence booster too. I'm not getting cocky, but I am excited!!!! I can't believe it finally clicked!!!!! Thanks for everyone's input on "My Problem." I appreciate the help and am so glad I am sticking with flying. I know there are going to be tough days ahead, but I KNOW I can do this

Chris

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chris, really happy that you are getting comfortable in the plane, and that everything is working for you. I forget exactly when, but 8 or 9 was when everything "clicked" for me also. Best of luck in continued training!

flpanthers1

Last week I had a breakthrough. this week I had a breakdown. I had FAM 11 Friday and I didn't even make it out of the shack. I got a ready-room down. I knew the brief, but my IP started asking me other questions. I got flustered and could not answer anything. It sucked. I have the best On-Wing and he has given me several chances, but my nerves are shot. It's bad enough when you wish to get in an accident on the way to base, so you don't have to fly.

I am becomming more irritable and less patient with people. I can't relax and am up all hours of the night. I'm making myself sick. And to top it all off I am not allowed to go home for my sister's wedding next weekend, which I am in. Some of you reading this will probably know exactly who I am. I'd be lying if I said not being able to go home has nothing to do with my decision making right now.

I like to fly, but relaxing and retaining the information is not something i have been doing very well. I wake up around 0630 or 0700 for a 12pm brief and flight. I take an hour to get ready and eat and head straight to base and get there 3hours before my flight. I study until my brief. Go through the flight, take care of my training jacket and head home. Once I get home I take 2 hours to eat and relax, then hit the books til 11. And repeat the process every day. I don't know what else I can do.

Ray

Maybe you are just trying too hard. Is the flying second nature to you yet? Usually I just went over all the brief items first and got them down. Then I just did a quick review of EPs. Then I'd go over all the chapter four numbers. My buddy made this excell spread sheet thing that helped with that, I'll see if I can find it. Then I just chilled out. I'd go in early and fly the microsim and practice some HAPLs and landings and then go to the plane to run through the systems. Then I'd just wait until it was time. Just try to relax while you are in there. Take your time. Nothing is that critical that you take care of it right away.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Who in the Sam Hell is your on-wing? Are you at Corpus or Whiting? Have you told anyone anything on how you feel? From what I've read, you said you had an UNSAT which means a Down to me and you struck pink in the Ready Room. That's 2 in stage downs...Correct. When is your PRB (Progress Review Board)? Tell them in your PRB about the fact that you are stressing out and also your concern for not being able to be in your sisters wedding. REQUEST to go to stress management classes and request to go to your sisters wedding. Believe it or not, you are a walking time bomb because you can not concentrate due to the fact that in the back of your mind you are concerned about your sisters wedding. Tell your on wing, class advisor, Safety Officer or the Standardization O. Just tell someone! As a former On wing, class advisor, Safety officer and Standardization Officer and Operations Officer, not to mention Senior Marine, I would be extremely pissed at myself and at you for finding out your problems AFTER you washed out of the program. If you have told your on wing then work it up the chain until someone helps you manage your problems. If I were your onwing and knew of your problems, I would be professionally embarrassed. I used to tell my IP's that we are there to teach and guide students not beat up on them. You won't fly well until you mange your stress. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ghost_ttu

Now you got Frumby all worked up, I wouldn't disclose that on wing's name, someones head is bout to start rolling!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.