• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone heard, been denied, or accepted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC1371

Anyone else been accepted to PLC lately? I just recently got selected for PLC leaving June 6 I believe. I am currently on a ground contract because that is all that was available but I am going to switch over to SNA probably after returning from OCS.

Steifel

USMC1371>> How much school do you have left before you finish your degree? I've been looking at the PLC but get different stories from different people. Your time towards rank etc. starts during your first couple months at OCS right? Then you get commissioned after your second two months and completion of college? Lemme know if thats the impression your under. Thanks

USMC1371

Steifel, I have a good 2 1/2 years left. I have already been enlisted in the Reserves for 2 years now so I have done a lot of research on the PLC program and had many friends go through with it. Your time in grade does start when you get accepted to the program. For example, if you are in the program 3 years before you are commissioned, then your base pay will start off as O-1 with 3 years in. You do not get commissioned until you get your diploma even though you might have gone through OCS. That's a basic rundown on it, any more questions lemme know.

mlj0215

Originally posted by BYPASS
Steifel- From what I've heard, it depends on what you want to fly. There are 6'2" pilots, but I couldn't tell you exactly what types of jets they're flying.
I'm 6'1" (hopefully finished growing at this point, but I think I've already shot up another inch this year) and going Navy. You can always go for NFO if your height is a problem.

I'm don't think that strict height is the determining factor. I'm 6'3" but I passed the Andro measurements. (Length of legs from a sitting position, length of arms with shoulder against a wall, etc.) Hope this helps!

Steifel

Thanx again all...I got bout 1.5 years left of school, but I wanna get into PLC asap...just gotta boost my GPA to compete with you guys despite a commercial multi rating with 500 total hours...at least when I get in I'll know im in with the best...good luck..

USMC1371

My GPA sucked, 2.1 and I still got in. The Marine Corps promotes from within so the fact that I am already a Marine drastically turned the odds in my favor. I wouldn't really consider enlisting if I only had a year and a half left in school. I have my private pilot and several ratings but that had no affect on anything that I know of. Get with your OSO asap if you want to pursue this thing

Steifel

USMC1371>> Not sure what you mean by not enlisting at all if you had 1.5 years left. You mean you wouldnt go in at all? Or you wouldnt do the PLC? or you'd wait to finish the degree before going? By the way I'm sitting at a 2.0 which is the bare minimum...made some mistakes in the past like we all do...thanx

Steel185

I just joined this message board and I wanted to say greetings to everyone here.

I have been accepted to Marine Corps OCS 185 to begin Jan 18th. I'm looking to Fly the cobra, but honored to have a chance to be a Marine. I'm ready to leave today, but a month to go isn't too bad. If you have any questions or comments...feel free.

If anyone is thinking about the whoel process and in the Houston area I know tons of people you can talk to about it.

jburnes

yeah i heard all right...i got my "stop bothering us" letter from the navy yesterday about the nuclear instructor program i applied for...of course i already knew i wasnt getting in to that program since my recruiter told me ahead of time...but getting the letter just the same isnt fun....

anyway i reapplied for pilot/spec.war/nupoc so now its time to sit and wait...more like do pull-ups and push-ups and wait for spec.war anyway...

USMC1371

Steifel, what I mean is I would not consider enlisted in the reserves if I only had a year and a half left. I would work my ass off to get my GPA up and definitely apply to PLC before you graduate because it is extremely competitive for grads. As far as academics go, I have obivously screwed up on more than several occassion which is ever present in my GPA but the hell with it. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. Good luck man

Steel185

USMC1371 and Steifel,
I had a low GPA and didn't decide to join untill a few months after I graduated. I had changed majors and spent too much time in college I was 25 and only had a 2.5GPA. The one thing that did help in a big way was I had tons of leadership experince, and community serivce hours. I had founded a fraternity chapter at my school, though that I had many leadership experinces to list for the board. Many "Office type" positions (chairman of commities) and in the field (team captain of verious sports). We were also required to have a min of 4 hours a month of community hours. What I'm trying to say is, if you can show reasons you have a low GPA and leadership potiential, your "handicap" becomes a 1-2 punch the board really likes.

I'm not saying join a Frat, but in your next 1.5-2 years you have left also look around and see if there are orgainzations you like and can get involved in to gain leadership experience in addition to the PLC program.

USMC1371

Hell I have my hands full just taking care of my fireteam of Marines. Its gonna be hellatious if I ever become a squad leader.

Steifel

Well my GPA is up to a 2.1 now...I've got an interview with my OSO or rather the Master Sgt. there tomorrow in which I'm told to dress up...I need to bring all my paper work on PRK and LASEK since I had one done in each eye...if you have any questions on these procedures let me know...wish me luck on whatever occurs tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.