• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier pilots to F-35 transition?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure that makes sense to me. Same number of squadrons, presumably the same number of DH slots, so unless you're talking about the year where the screen was pilot heavy...? We're still only talking about a handful of people. The three I'm thinking of also didn't have pristine records, however "good" they were, IMO.

There were 3 or 4 guys I knew personally that were strong runners with good records but didn't make the cut, what do expect with 25% selection rate? Theoretically the same number of DHs but they always seemed to stuff extra ones in Prowler squadrons, we had 8 at one point in my squadron, harder to do in Growlers.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
How does the 66% reduction in NFOs needed to do beeps/squeaks not cause a reduction in manning/opportunity? Or is the manning staying the same with less flying available?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does the 66% reduction in NFOs needed to do beeps/squeaks not cause a reduction in manning/opportunity? Or is the manning staying the same with less flying available?
It was all necked down years in advance, plus there are more "crews" in a G squadron because they have more jets. There are threads on this.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
With the first F35 squadron getting in the door in late 2012, and the last AV8B squadron now gasping it out until 2030, I'm pretty sure any Harrier pilot who wants to go to either cockpit will have ample opportunity save for a few here and there. The question is, will they still require newbs to learn how to use the DMT in 2025?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
With the first F35 squadron getting in the door in late 2012, and the last AV8B squadron now gasping it out until 2030, I'm pretty sure any Harrier pilot who wants to go to either cockpit will have ample opportunity save for a few here and there. The question is, will they still require newbs to learn how to use the DMT in 2025?

How about learning to use it now? It's actually a great piece of gear.

"Learn it. Know it. Live it."

-Brad Hamilton

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sadly, this was probably lost on some. :(
456768.jpg