• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier pilots to F-35 transition?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
qm.gif

qm.gif
qm.gif
25717587.jpg

Three of the four pictures won't show, but I get the gist of your post is that Marine jet guys won't transition to the F-35. What do you see happening instead?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Oh not at all, I was just making a point that if it goes anything like most transitions that I've read told about - a lot of guys won't want to transition, be left behind, or just not have the right timing.

KBayDog

Oh not at all, I was just making a point that if it goes anything like most transitions that I've read told about - a lot of guys won't want to transition, be left behind, or just not have the right timing.

Now what, pray tell, transitions/conversions are you referring to? ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Ok. If your point is that the transition execution will be much messier and painful than The Man leads us to believe, then yeah.....I agree. It always is to varying degrees.

A large percentage of my flight school IPs were A-6 guys who were too senior to transition (or just flat didn't fit into the plan) and too junior to retire. They either got out and flew the friendly skies or got MBAs and got real jobs. I'm sure that a few of them didn't have a chair at all when the music stopped.

It's a challenging problem.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok. If your point is that the transition execution will be much messier and painful than The Man leads us to believe, then yeah.....I agree. It always is to varying degrees.

A large percentage of my flight school IPs were A-6 guys who were too senior to transition (or just flat didn't fit into the plan) and too junior to retire. They either got out and flew the friendly skies or got MBAs and got real jobs. I'm sure that a few of them didn't have a chair at all when the music stopped.

FWIW, the VAQ community took the lessons from the VA sundown and has, thus far, conducted a pretty smooth transition WRT people staying in the community. I know it's a little different with the 46 community, as I get the sense there wasn't a 1 for 1 replacement platform to transition to, but it can be done.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
FWIW, the VAQ community took the lessons from the VA sundown and has, thus far, conducted a pretty smooth transition WRT people staying in the community. I know it's a little different with the 46 community, as I get the sense there wasn't a 1 for 1 replacement platform to transition to, but it can be done.

Sounds like it, but I'm sure that many of the few left out (there have to be some right?) feel like they got screwed anyway. Isn't your perspective from a "got selected for the transition guy" level? I honestly don't know.

It's an imperfect process. The breaks of Naval Air and whatnot.

Typically those left behind become the most vocal critics. I remember hearing how "shitty the Hornet was" because it had "no gas". Same with the phrog/osprey.

I remember hearing all kinds of ridiculous allegations about the Osprey that later turned out to be bullshit. Grass fires, can't land in zones, heats up/melts carrier decks, etc.

I've been keeping informal track of the bullshit I hear about the F-35. It's pretty entertaining to hear people with obvious bias talking out of their ass about a program that they weren't selected for (for a variety of legitimate reasons as identified earlier).

Doesn't matter to me. No dog in this fight anymore aside from being a taxpayer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not transitioned yet (if I screen, then that will happen as PXO). I rotated out of a squadron (and into my DH job) right before the old squadron transitioned. Only one aircrew was not allowed to transition and he was a problem child who wasn't hacking it in the jet. I know there are ones and twos here and there, but everyone who remains upwardly mobile in the community will eventually transition.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

So it's more of a filter than a pump. Or maybe it's a broken pump that only wants to work when it wants to work.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not transitioned yet (if I screen, then that will happen as PXO). I rotated out of a squadron (and into my DH job) right before the old squadron transitioned. Only one aircrew was not allowed to transition and he was a problem child who wasn't hacking it in the jet. I know there are ones and twos here and there, but everyone who remains upwardly mobile in the community will eventually transition.

That was in the squadron, I know quite a few quality guys who lost out on the DH boards when selection was about 25% for NFOs in some YGs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, if you don't screen, you don't transition, but that's a separate issue from how the transition process was designed WRT managing personnel.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, if you don't screen, you don't transition, but that's a separate issue from how the transition process was designed WRT managing personnel.

They used the DH screening as part of the transition process though to cut down on the numbers though so not completely seperate.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They used the DH screening as part of the transition process though to cut down on the numbers though so not completely seperate.
I'm not sure that makes sense to me. Same number of squadrons, presumably the same number of DH slots, so unless you're talking about the year where the screen was pilot heavy...? We're still only talking about a handful of people. The three I'm thinking of also didn't have pristine records, however "good" they were, IMO.