• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

H-1 Helo questions

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
Well I figured it would make more sense to give the experienced aviators the latest and greatest, but I wasn't sure if there was a big difference in operating them. If there would be a lot of training on the older guys to get into the new ones, I would see where maybe they would just start the new guys off with them. So I guess as a newly winged aviator your only shot is to just get lucky? Thanks for all your help

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I figured it would make more sense to give the experienced aviators the latest and greatest, but I wasn't sure if there was a big difference in operating them. If there would be a lot of training on the older guys to get into the new ones, I would see where maybe they would just start the new guys off with them. So I guess as a newly winged aviator your only shot is to just get lucky? Thanks for all your help

Zulus will not be integrated like the Ospreys were. You could find yourself as a new aviator sent to a Zulu squadron. There are more than a few experienced Whiskey guys that wont fight you for the slot really. As was mentioned squadrons will transition wholesale from CO down to boot.
With the big plus up coming on for the HMLAs it will take some time to flesh out how it will all happen.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Or you could start in a Zulu squadron out of the RAG and then go to a Whiskey squadron as a super JO or DH.

Nothing is certain except uncertainty.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Or you could start in a Zulu squadron out of the RAG and then go to a Whiskey squadron as a super JO or DH.

Nothing is certain except uncertainty.

Can we not have the squid lingo infecting a discussion of Cobras and Hueys?:icon_tong

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
They've already got the first batch of Yankee instructors going through the syllabus out at the RAG. I keep hearing that we'll start seeing the transition happen towards the end of this year, for Hueys at least - West Coast first, then East Coast. There will be some RACs who will be going through the new syllabus, as far as I know, but there will still be plenty of more time to fly the November over the next 5 years.

As for the Zulus, they've got one in the hangar, but that's about it. The timeline for that one is a ways a way, I believe.

KBayDog

Can we not have the squid lingo infecting a discussion of Cobras and Hueys?:icon_tong

I agree. That said, for my knowledges, what is this "Super JO" tour of which the Navy speaks?

I've heard the term thrown around, but have pretty much ignored it until it infected this Marine thread. ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. That said, for my knowledges, what is this "Super JO" tour of which the Navy speaks?

I've heard the term thrown around, but have pretty much ignored it until it infected this Marine thread. ;)

As an O-3 coming off shore duty, you snag another squadron tour instead of a disassociated tour or CAG staff. Some super JOs make 0-4 just before they finish their tour, but only in rare cases pick up a Dept Head slot (especially major), but it has happened. COs often go for a RAG or Weapons School instructor for super JOs and they also invariably end up as Asst Ops at some point.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something similar to the BriteStar perhaps? From what I understand, the NTS isn't nearly as good... What's going into the Zulu?
Yeah NTS is getting old, Britestar is really nice. There is UNTS being talked about for the Whiskeys. zulu will have TSS which is supposed to be incredible.

Yeah NTS is getting old, Britestar is really nice. There is UNTS being talked about for the Whiskeys. zulu will have TSS which is supposed to be incredible.

Do they give you a dictionary for all of these acronyms when you join the military?

phrogpilot73

Do they give you a dictionary for all of these acronyms when you join the military?
Nope. You just have to flounder, nod and act like you know what you're talking about.

NTS = Night Targeting System
UNTS = Upgraded Night Targeting System (just a guess)
TSS = Target Sight System

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. You just have to flounder, nod and act like you know what you're talking about.

And no matter what you know in the fleet, when you show up in the Pentagon for first time (and you likely will sooner or later), the first meeting will feature acronyms you never heard blazing back and forth like tracers in a firefight. After total immersion in the environment, you finally get somewhat comfortable after awhile, but it's amusing to watch salty O-5 and O-6s show up and go into culture shock (try to park/commute starts the rude awakening and then having to make thier own coffee). Bottomline, every endeavor has its own culture-speak/acros from Major League Baseball to construction. Just human nature in action, but military tends to really embrace acros.