• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

H-1 Helo questions

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i guess the question might've sounded odd. i was just trying to get at the brotherhood that the military provides you. It is a fraternity's fraternity, as i have heard it put before, especially the Marine Corps. I dunno where i got the idea that pilots roomed alone, probably heard something somewhere and drew my own (wrong) conclusion. I was just wondering what the interactions were like with pilots and other members. all of my family members are enlisted Marine Corps so i always hear story after story of the things they did with their buddies and what not. Appreciate ya'lls input as most posts of mine are met with sarcastic and disappointing replies

You've got to be pretty senior to rate a room to yourself. JOs are usually in bunkrooms aboard ships and you can expect tents ashore in most deployed sandbox locations.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
And I've never had my own room. Best I had it was 4 to a room in Iraq (and it was about 3 times the size of a stateroom on the boat). Worst I had it was 25 to a very small tent with no floor, and no AC, in Iraq in the summer... Thank god it was just a 2 week det.

I remember the Phrogs back in '03. We would be somewhere like Nasiriyah or Al Kut. It would be 0230 and a Casevac would come in and I'd have to go wake up the guys who were asleep on the deck in and around their bird. I'd have the tasking written on a piece of notepaper and give it to a bunch of bleery eyed Marines. They'd be turning and checking in less than 10 minutes later. Loved those guys.

MasterBates

On 2 cruises, first one I had a 2 man (made into a 3 man when the wimmin retrofit happened) with 2 ENS SWOlings. Bot Nukes..

Second cruise, 6-man with the 4 JO pilots, 1 AW LDO, and a Danish AF exchange guy... Aka, the "Pilot's Playpen".. That was fun.

Only the Admiral (2 star), CO (CAPT), and XO (senior LCDR) got their own rooms. Staff CDR/LCDRS were in larger 2 mans, LT's were in small 2 mans or 3 mans.. Mind you this was a CG, so the layout is a bit different than a L-Class or CV.

phrogpilot73

I remember the Phrogs back in '03. We would be somewhere like Nasiriyah or Al Kut. It would be 0230 and a Casevac would come in and I'd have to go wake up the guys who were asleep on the deck in and around their bird. I'd have the tasking written on a piece of notepaper and give it to a bunch of bleery eyed Marines. They'd be turning and checking in less than 10 minutes later. Loved those guys.
The CASEVAC mission is what inspired me to apply for the Coast Guard. It wasn't me in '03, but I've done a number of them. I was never happy to be woken up at the ass crack of late, but as soon as I was told there was a CASEVAC, I was perfectly happy to be firing up and launching as soon as humanly possible.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
i guess the question might've sounded odd. i was just trying to get at the brotherhood that the military provides you. It is a fraternity's fraternity, as i have heard it put before, especially the Marine Corps.

This is true - but Generals aren't slumming around with Privates or something. For the most part you stick with your pay-grade.

Appreciate ya'lls input as most posts of mine are met with sarcastic and disappointing replies

Spelling, grammar, and punctuation go a long way in determining how a question is asked. You suck at all three.

"What percentage of applicants get jets?" is better than "yo d00dz, wht% flys jets"

Read your post after you type it, and if it looks like a 4th grader wrote it, it will probably be received as such.

Also, do some research before you ask a question, there is a lot of information on the website that you can read up on without starting a new thread.

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
I wouldn't say that my spelling grammar and punctuation all suck. Definetly above 4th grade level. I think you're getting stuck on the fact that I say ya'll. My posts are not at all like your little example comment. I'm wondering why some think the questions I have are so odd. I'm here to get a general understanding of Marine Corps aviation and I think all my questions point towards that. I don't understand why everyone's replies always have to be so hostile. I'm not trying to pick a fight and don't take anything I say the wrong way but it's like people try to sound like assholes or something.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't say that my spelling grammar and punctuation all suck. Definetly above 4th grade level. I think you're getting stuck on the fact that I say ya'll. My posts are not at all like your little example comment. I'm wondering why some think the questions I have are so odd. I'm here to get a general understanding of Marine Corps aviation and I think all my questions point towards that. I don't understand why everyone's replies always have to be so hostile. I'm not trying to pick a fight and don't take anything I say the wrong way but it's like people try to sound like assholes or something.

Step #1 in Naval Aviation - Get a thick skin.
Step #2 - Expect to have everything you say or do questioned until you're at least an O-3.
Step #3 - Don't whine, it's gay.

Brett

coreymiller1

OCC 198 hopeful
I just think its stupid that someone would criticize my punctuation and grammar in general, let alone on an internet forum. It just seems like he enjoys putting his two cents in and when he can't find a way to sound like an asshole then he really has to go out on a limb with something.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just think its stupid that someone would criticize my punctuation and grammar in general, let alone on an internet forum. It just seems like he enjoys putting his two cents in and when he can't find a way to sound like an asshole then he really has to go out on a limb with something.

Just remember your recent little vacation. You're on borrowed time here and should be using phrases like "please," "thank you" and "that's some good advice which I'll take into consideration." The words "asshole" and "stupid" should not be part of your AW lexicon for the time being.

Brett

phrogpilot73

The words "asshole" and "stupid" should not be part of your AW lexicon for the time being.
I don't think I've EVER used the terms asshole or stupid in reference to other members of AW... Unless they're SWOs/NFOs :D

Corey - go back through your posts. They are painful to read at best, mainly because of punctuation and grammar. Also, don't interpret my statement above to give you the green light to say such things. I have earned the right to rib other guys not in my community, as there is a mutual level of respect between us. You have yet to earn any of our respect, so therefore there is no "mutual."

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Remember corey, about half the guys who post on this forum are O-3 and above. Try to show a bit of respect and take the advice for what it's worth. You could be serving under them someday.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

Try to use a little more tact my friend, it goes a long way. These gents give out advice like this on their own free time, on top of their daily duties. The least you can do is take a little extra time of your own to make it easy to read. Show the proper courtesy and your questions will be answered in due time.

As for the culture in the Marine Corps., you can't truly get a feel for it until your IN. Until you've suffered through the same situations and endured the initiation process... you're just asking questions. I know its tempting to ask about it... but be patient, do some research.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
You're on borrowed time here and should be using phrases like "please," "thank you" and "that's some good advice which I'll take into consideration." The words "asshole" and "stupid" should not be part of your AW lexicon for the time being.

Oh yeah Corey...and shut your whiny man-pleaser while you're at it. The above is about as nice a warning as you'll ever receive should you pursue a military career. And that says alot coming from Brett...