• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GUSTAV: Massive Evil Hurricane of Death! Panic!

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
at200807_model.gif

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Question: Can one purchase additional flood/hurricane insurance knowing a storm like this is lurking?

I was told that most companies stop writing new policies once you're inside a projected cone of destruction, which for those of you on the Third Coast, that means anytime a cyclonic is in the Gulf.

That said, I called USAA the day my sim was canx'ed b/c of Dolly, mainly to make sure my existing policy and hurricane coverage were still good. It was, and the lady asked me if I thought it was enough, or would I like to increase it? YMMV.

The down side to finding out you have almost $200K in hurricane coverage? I'm totally cheering for the 'canes to rain down destruction of biblical proportions, so I can replace all my busted Ikea junk with new stuff.

tjp2008

And he's so much better prepared to handle it this time. :(

As someone from "New Atlantis" he's definitely not...

I picked up your sarcasm but wanted to make sure others got the picture

Hopefully Gov. Jindal will step in and fix things before Nagin (who I did NOT vote for) can screw up the "chocolate city"(as he referred to it after Katrina) again

phrogpilot73

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Track has shifted east, more toward Mobile. But even NHC says don't read too much into it - 4-5 day forecast tracks have an average spread of something like 300 miles.

Should have a better idea of where it's going to go when it clears the west end of Cuba on Sat or Sun.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
If hurricanes get near Mobile Bay they seem to head right for it. And the newest track (10AM) is eeking Gustave that direction.

(As for Ray Nagin--his last faux pas was to declare himself a "vagina friendly" mayor.)

JIMMY

"Game over man... Game over!"

ya we're all hopin it takes out keesler afb (biloxi, MS).. im over here at the Marine weather school house and everyones watchin it pretty closely.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If it hits N.O. again and any of those dumbasses are on their roofs again..I say we tell them "Go away, I'm reading Superfudge"

If they can't learn from their first mistakes and then have the audacity to bitch at the people saving them (or shoot at them, as was the case) I say fuck 'em, fuck 'em all.

But that's just my embittered tax-paying ass...

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
For anyone interested, to check the latest and greatest, go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
They come out with new tracks and discussions at the following times (CDT):
1000L
1300L (intermediate update)
1600L
1900L (intermediate update)
2200L
0100L (intermediate update)
0400L
0700L (intermediate update)

just go to the website and click on the tropical storm/hurricane symbol on the map. the discussions have some good gouge if you know just a little bit about weather. Hope this helps.