• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Laws in your state

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
You have to draw a line somewhere, but based on what I've read of gun laws in places like NYC and CA, one could certainly make a case for their being "arbitrary and capricious."

Absolutely. Unless you are very wealthy or well connected, you can not get a CCW permit in the NYC/Long Island area. Mayor Bloomberg granted them for many celebrities, but none for the average citizen. It's absolutely ridiculous.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Absolutely. Unless you are very wealthy or well connected, you can not get a CCW permit in the NYC/Long Island area. Mayor Bloomberg granted them for many celebrities, but none for the average citizen. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Hard to 'prove' in court, but if you could convince the court it would certainly be the undoing of a lot of may issue laws.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This isn't the first lawsuit brought against DC since the Heller decision. Heller himself filed a second lawsuit against the city back in July. Hopefully the court(s) will hear as many of these as possible and knock the district and cities with similar policy back in line with regard to Second Amendment rights.

The DA for the District went so far as to say the city interpreted the constitution to mean we had the right to keep arms, but not necessarily the right to keep them loaded or assembled. The DC law requires a gun owner to keep a revolver (semiautomatics are referred to as machine guns..riiight) either unloaded and locked with a trigger lock, or disassembled if they wish to keep it in their homes unless "they fear imminent harm to their lives."

Let me just pencil in a hold up around 11:15 pm, I'll have my gun out and ready by 11:10, but just to be safe, I think I'll keep it unloaded till the robber knocks on my door. Oh wait, it's a semiautomatic weapon...better put it back in the closet next to the Ma Deuce...catalogued with all my other machine guns.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Montana stands up for state rights

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/apr/30/montana-gun-law-really-a-shot-for-states-rights/news/

Didn't hear about this until a couple minutes ago when I saw it on TV, but this looks promising. Basically, Montana passed legislation stating that any weapon manufactured in Montana is not subject to federal regulation if it stays in Montana.

Similar legislation is going to be passed in Utah and Texas (had interviews with state reps on FOX)

Hopefully the states' resistance expands beyond gun laws!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/apr/30/montana-gun-law-really-a-shot-for-states-rights/news/

Didn't hear about this until a couple minutes ago when I saw it on TV, but this looks promising. Basically, Montana passed legislation stating that any weapon manufactured in Montana is not subject to federal regulation if it stays in Montana.

Similar legislation is going to be passed in Utah and Texas (had interviews with state reps on FOX)

Hopefully the states' resistance expands beyond gun laws!

Yeah, that's all great until BATF shows up. These laws are essentially meaningless, symbolic acts. It's the same principle as the medical marijuana laws in California, Oregon, etc. The state may not prosecute you, but DEA can swoop in and shut an distributing operation down on a whim. Bottom line, the feds have universal jurisdiction over lots of stuff and there's nothing that states can do about it.

Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we spend our efforts and money to fight any new restrictive legislation at the federal level instead of wasting it with these stupid state-sponsored diversions?

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, that's all great until BATF shows up. These laws are essentially meaningless, symbolic acts. It's the same principle as the medical marijuana laws in California, Oregon, etc. The state may not prosecute you, but DEA can swoop in and shut an distributing operation down on a whim. Bottom line, the feds have universal jurisdiction over lots of stuff and there's nothing that states can do about it.
Except tie things up in the courts trying to prove that what the Feds are doing is unconstitutional.

I think VBulletin ate a post I put here, but the jist was that I don't think the Founding Fathers intended anywhere near the level of central government which has emerged in this nation. Granted, the Articles of Confederation proved that a complete lack thereof didn't work, but I think that too many people are grasping for too much power these days.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If Montana ... or Idaho ... only had salt water from the "big pond" lapping up on their "shores" ... I'd be there in a heartbreak.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it will fly. For starters, there is no practical way to ensure that the guns sold in the state will stay there. The Supreme Court has long endorsed the Commerce Clause as it is now interpreted/utilized and I doubt they will allow it to be curbed much. I think Montana is tilting at windmills.

And while the founding fathers may not have envisioned the central government so dominant but they certainly didn't envision going from New York City to DC in 50 minutes instead of 5 days and certainly not a large standing military. Times change, figure that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except tie things up in the courts trying to prove that what the Feds are doing is unconstitutional.
Yeah, good luck with that. It's great to pontificate about what we think the Founders' intent was, but at the end of the day, we have to deal with the system as it exists. We both know that SCOTUS is not going to radically change the way the feds have been doing business. IMO, people who decry the "unconstitutionality" of such things are on par with those who use the same argument against income taxes - utter foolishness. Yeah, may not be in the constitution, but that's the way it is and it ain't gonna change.

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Right to Carry Reciprocity

For all of you folks interested in politics, which I know on this board may only be one or two :icon_tong

Could be pretty important for getting national recognition, similar to driver's licenses. The way I read it is that if a state issues a permit, they would have to recognize another state's permit, no exceptions. So, that means that with my Florida permit I could carry concealed in California, Maryland, New York, etc, etc.... (or, at least that's the hope).

Contact your Senators, you never know what affect it may have.

navy09

None
Wouldn't that just lead more liberal/ restrictive states like CA to shitcan their CCW program altogether? It's not like they'd have a problem doing that through their legislature or in a general vote.

I mean, state's rights anyone? Let's be real, if they tried to pull this with gay marriage we'd all be going nuts.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
National Reciprocity has been an effort for a long time...

I don't see it passing for sometime.... and I'm not entirely sure I would want it to pass by force. I would much rather see all the states pass CCW laws, or have their anti 2nd amendment ways shot down by the courts before a National Reciprocity law is passed.

That being said, I do hope that National Reciprocity is passed in my life time... I just don't think that RIGHT NOW is the time.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
This is a GOOD thing, especially for us military folk. The gay marriage comparison was made earlier, but I think the driver's license simile is a bit closer. Imagine if you couldn't drive in CA with your FL license. . .

I see it more as a foot in the door type maneuver, the next logical being a national CC permit. Or such is my hope.

Bevo16

pilot
I see it more as a foot in the door type maneuver, the next logical being a national CC permit. Or such is my hope.

Yea, if only we had some national law saying that we could own and carry our firearms....if only people could still read.

It's right here under #2.

bill_of_rights_page.jpg