• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Help

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Alright, I just found out that I'm going to get to add to my meager gun collection this Christmas and I need some advice from the pros! I currently own a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol and I've gotten comfortable shooting both of them. I think I want to add another handgun but I'm open to any suggestions since my gun knowledge is rather limited. My budget is rather tight since I'm not raking in the O-1 Pay yet: $400 or lower. Any help would be appreciated!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You might be able to find a used Springfield XD in your price range. I have in the past. 400 was our budget for my buddies wedding present and we found him a nice XD.

Some used 1911's go for about that price.

If you are set on a hand gun you might be out of luck, especially around Christmas, but you may want to consider a shotgun.

Mosberg 590 would be well within your pricerange. As would a Remmington 870 Express. Both are pump action shotguns and both are great firearms.

statesman

pilot
If that be the case there are tons of options out there. It just depends on what you like.

Surplus rifles are a great buy usually. There was mention of the Mosin-Nagant. I have one, picked it up for about 80 bucks. GREAT rifle. Some people say they are hit or miss, some times you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one. I would say in my experience they are usually in good shape. There are several other surplus rifles you could look into.

You might also be able to find a Ruger M77 Mk II for around that price. Nice place to look might be www.gunbroker.com

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
My Springfield 1911 was just a skosh over $400 when I picked it up.

Springfield G.I. .45 - its been about 3 years now, so price might differ and it depends on where you get it. I have been beyond pleased.

http://www.m1911.org/prodte30.htm

gotta_fly

pilot
It might be a bit out of your price range, but if you can find a decent used one I'd highly recommend the H&K USP Compact. I have one (.40 cal S&W) and it shoots great, cleans easily, and is great for CCW. I have fired it alongside a Smith and Wesson .45 and it's way more accurate and reliable- the Smith jammed 3 times in 100 rds and the H&K hasn't jammed once.

This may be lame, but from a trivia standpoint it's also the gun Jack Bauer carries... :icon_smil

statesman

pilot
Im an HK fanatic, but I can tell you that even a used one is likely to be outside the price range.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My recommendation would be a used Sig P229 for a handgun. It would probably run you closer to $500 though.

As far as rifles are concerned, you can't loose with a mini-14, especially with the new iron sights. They are right in your price range as well!

FLY_USMC

pilot
You can get a new Glock 17 for like $430 throught Quantico Arms, and even a little cheaper with a good deal on AR15.com, if you're going to get a 1911, save your money for at LEAST a Springfield Mil-Spec, will run you $499 new through Quantico Arms.....though I'd wait until you can afford a Loaded. P229's are nice, used and new they vary, don't be scared to get a non-railed one, shiat to put on the rail is out of your price range, plus, concealed carry the rails can snag. My non-railed 229 is VERY nice and shoot like a champ. Stear clear from CPO 229's, typically law enforcement trade ins, sometime in not the greatest of condition.

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
For the price, I highly recommend the XD series from Springfield. I got my subcompact .40 for just over $400 and have put about 1500 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind and only basic cleanings. The guns solid, well built (in Croatia sadly) feels good in the hand and kicks like a mule. I prefer the 1911 .45 series but for the price, the XD is pretty darn sweet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stear clear from CPO 229's, typically law enforcement trade ins, sometime in not the greatest of condition.
I call bad gouge. You should be able to examine the weapon before you buy it; I got a great deal on a .40 S&W CPO P229. It was likely an armory queen as it looks virtually brand new. With the 357 SIG barrel, it's fun as heck to shoot and is more accurate than I am.

Also bought a used P226 which was fine aside from some honest holster wear. The grips were scuffed up, so I replaced them with wood ones. Again, it's a better shooter than its owner.

Granted, I've also looked at a p226 that had patched up corrosion on the slide, probably from living in a sweaty holster. No thanks.

Take a good look at the weapon you're about to buy and you can get some good deals on used guns, CPO included.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get in touch with Nozeman via PM and tell him what you are looking for. He might have something you might want.

statesman

pilot
Get in touch with Nozeman via PM and tell him what you are looking for. He might have something you might want.
Even if he doesnt have what youre looking for he can get it. Shoot he can get it by 3:00 this afternoon with a holster. There are ways. You dont want to know dude, there are ways.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the help everyone. So the general consensus I am seeing is to purchase a gun online over the local gun stores?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just a quick thought...

Growing up, the family wisdom was that there are three firearms that you should never be without. A .22 rifle, a big game rifle of some sort (.308, .30-06, .270...whatever), and an all around shotgun.

If you are in shooting sports generally, and especially hunting, this is really good place to start.

My reccomendation? I'd get a nice, brand new Remington 870 pump gun and pick up a slug tube for it. You might even have some change left when you get done.

<<edit>>

I just noticed that you were leaning towards a handgun. Oops. With that kinda budget, I'd look at a wheelgun in .357, .44 mag, or .45 LC. You can go to the range and have a great time with them, and you can hunt with them...if thats your thing. They also, in the right length work well for CCW. I stand by the above advice though.