• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Help

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Also bought a used P226 which was fine aside from some honest holster wear. The grips were scuffed up, so I replaced them with wood ones. Again, it's a better shooter than its owner.

Take a good look at the weapon you're about to buy and you can get some good deals on used guns, CPO included.

I have a CPO P226 and I love it. It has never jammed or FTF. When I got it, it looked like it had never seen the inside of a holster.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a CPO P226 and I love it. It has never jammed or FTF. When I got it, it looked like it had never seen the inside of a holster.
That's how my P229 looks. Couldn't believe the deal I was getting. Thought about refinishing the P226, but the wear adds character!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Thanks for the help everyone. So the general consensus I am seeing is to purchase a gun online over the local gun stores?

How about a maybe? There's good deals to be had at your local place if you take your time. That being said, they'll never have the volume available that is on-line.

As far as what you get I'd search for a caliber that you can afford to shoot and that means milsurp ammo so think .223. Got to www.gunsamerica.com or auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com and search on caliber. I'm more a rifle guy than a pistol any more and I'm in the middle of stripping a Argentinian Browning Hi-Power I bought for $300 from the Gulf breeze pistol parlor. Guess I should point out that was in 1987? :D For the price though it was a very reasonable pistol that has never let me down and was my sidearm during Desert Storm before the Navy got aboard with something decent.

Are you at NASC? If so drop me a PM and I have a source that may help

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For sure! Have you got a set of Hogue grips on them yet? :)
Nope. Stock plastic on the P229, and the Sig walnut ones on the 226. Only Hogue grip I have is the rubber wraparound on my Glock. I've got mixed feelings about the wood grips; they're on the thick side and I've got small hands.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably best to stick with the stock grips due to the small hands.
Yeah, the stocks feel almost too skinny and were scuffed to high heaven, so I went to the walnuts which are maybe a hair too thick. Need to find the Goldilocks grips, I guess.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dude.jpg

Random8145

This is a question from a complete neophyte, but when times comes that I want to purchase my own gun, are there any specific licenses I need to get? Do all guns need to be registered? Can you just walk into a store and buy a gun or is there a waiting period? (you can see how ignorant I am on this subject right now).

Also, how does one go about figuring all this out for their state (knowing which guns they can and cannot purchase, etc...).

I don't want to break any laws by accident :)

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given that you are in New York, rifles are easy enough to purchase. The pistol laws are freaking RETARDED. You have to get a permit to purchase a handgun; I believe each separate purchase requires a new permit. And you have to have the permit to even HANDLE the weapon at the store counter. Thank God I am a Pennsylvania resident now and owe nothing to that Communist state.

Google "New York State Gun Laws" for the details. Most states aren't that bad, really. New York sucks.

Random8145

Thanks for the info.

Yes NY is one of the American Soviet states. If they can regulate it or tax it, they'll do it!

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Glock 19 or a Steyr M9A1. The glock goes for $398 and the steyr goes for $339. I've had multiple recommendations to pick the steyr over the glock- what says AW?