• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Any suggestions?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't gotten bitten by the shooting bug in awhile and I was thinking of buying a gun. A rifle, specifically. Still looking at buying an M1 eventually but I'd like to start off with something a little more manageable and affordable than 30-06. My dad's Marlin 60 is an example of what I'd rather not get; it's a Rube Goldberg contraption that jams after 50 rounds or so. Any other suggestions from the resident gun nuts for a good .22, .223, or similar rifle for day-to-day shooting?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ruger 10/22
Cheap, reliable, literally thousands of mods you can rice it out with.

Personally, I have a Marlin 881 I got for my 16th birthday that I love.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ruger 10/22. You think AR-15s can be modded? Ruger 10/22s take the cake.

Lawman

None
Third the Ruger. I dont know if Ive ever actually seen one in "Stock" configuration outside of a display case.

theduke

i personally would rather spend a little more and get a .223. probably a Remington 700, although Savage actually makes a pretty good weapon for not much money.

is this just gonna be a paper puncher?

theduke

i'd go with bolt action over any semi-auto, and the .223 is a good round. i've shot a built Remington .223 with a 36x Leupold on top, and it would put 5 rounds through one hole at laser-measured 100 yds. then i'd shoot out the four staples holding up the target.

i'd go with a centerfire round. you can shoot handloads (someone else's, if you don't load them yourself). you can shoot at longer ranges. you won't have to deal with a transition from supersonic to subsonic like you will with the .22LR (unless you get those low powered subsonic rounds).

there are some very accurate .22 LRs out there, but i would definitely go the centerfire route.

Remington makes a good, accurate action. The stock trigger is also pretty good once you adjust it (and you can do it yourself). if you wanna get hardcore, you'll want a custom trigger, but you could hold off on that for a while. I don't know what else people use to really build awesome rigs. Savage is pretty good if you're on a budget, but I don't know what the aftermarket for them is like.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Paper punching and maybe some plinking. I'm not a hunting type. I have to start my collection somewhere . . . :D
Hunter ??? Neither am I .... but you did say "collection"???

If you really want to "collect" ..... then go with the classics --- and they will appreciate much more than real estate or diamonds: USGI, 1903-1945.

Start with a Garand or an M-1 Carbine ..... a Colt 1911 comes later when you move to handguns.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
22LRs are a blast. I have 5: 2 bolt actions, 1 bolt action single shot, and 2 semi-autos. The bolt action single shot is my favorite. I´m a firm believer that shooting a single shot will (espeically while hunting) cause you to take your time and place a well aimed shot. I´ve had a 10/22 and I concur that they are an awesome little rifle. If you do decide to buy a 22 semi, don´t buy a Marlin. I´ve had 3 Marlin 22 semis and disliked them all.

If you wanted to go a little bigger, the 223 is an excellent choice. I have an H&R SB2 handi rifle (single shot break over with a bull barrel), NEF (which is pretty much the same rifle) makes one also both are right around 300. Very balanced rifle, no recoil and deadly accurate, not to mention fun to shoot.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got some good gouge there... for someone that's looking for a serious rifle. He said he wants something to have fun with, not a money-trap.

i'd go with bolt action over any semi-auto, and the .223 is a good round. i've shot a built Remington .223 with a 36x Leupold on top, and it would put 5 rounds through one hole at laser-measured 100 yds. then i'd shoot out the four staples holding up the target.

i'd go with a centerfire round. you can shoot handloads (someone else's, if you don't load them yourself). you can shoot at longer ranges. you won't have to deal with a transition from supersonic to subsonic like you will with the .22LR (unless you get those low powered subsonic rounds).

there are some very accurate .22 LRs out there, but i would definitely go the centerfire route.

Remington makes a good, accurate action. The stock trigger is also pretty good once you adjust it (and you can do it yourself). if you wanna get hardcore, you'll want a custom trigger, but you could hold off on that for a while. I don't know what else people use to really build awesome rigs. Savage is pretty good if you're on a budget, but I don't know what the aftermarket for them is like.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im going rifle shopping withym Dad tomorow. What a day my liberal tree hugging father has decided to take up hunting in his retirement and I am only too happy to go rifle shopping. Since I ma going to be deployed for both Christmas and his birthday. Looking at some .308s but maybe a .30-06

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im going rifle shopping withym Dad tomorow. What a day my liberal tree hugging father has decided to take up hunting in his retirement and I am only too happy to go rifle shopping. Since I ma going to be deployed for both Christmas and his birthday. Looking at some .308s but maybe a .30-06

Nothing says lovin like some good ole .30-06.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

.308 will be slightly cheaper ammo-wise, but ballistically, they are very similar.
Rem 700 will do you well in either 308 or 30-06 and be a nice gun to keep forever. Winchester 70 is another (personally, I don't like the 70s ergos). If you're looking to spend a little less, but still have a great gun, look at a Savage 10.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah just looked at the Remington online, that is the front runner right now.

Lawman

None
yeah just looked at the Remington online, that is the front runner right now.

You'll find there is a mountain of mod and aftermarket stuff you can buy for the Remington. But like Squeeze said, dont discount the Savage, they have really been making a name for themselves and taking a big chunk out of Remingtons usual customers. Both guns are easily better shooters then 95% of the people shooting them. So if anybody at the store gives you one of those "Those guns are innacurate as hell..." you can pretty much assume its the user.

Also keep in mind there are other calibers available if .308 isnt your thing or he's planning on hunting something that doesnt require a "Deer Caliber." Im a big fan of intermediate calibers such as the .220 Swift, but thats because I do more varment hunting (Possum, Ground Hog, ect) then anything else. Though what happens to a woodchuck when you hit it with a .308 is kinda funny.