• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guamanian Cell Phones?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
My cell phone is in need of replacement... I'm going to Guam at the end of the summer and I'm looking at joining the iPhone gang, but I'm not sure if theres a network iout there that will support it.... at a reasonable price.

Anyone on here know of anyone using a heavy data-plan in Guam? Maybe even an iPhone?

Google has shown me near zero info on the Guamanian Cell Services...

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
We actually haven't gotten cell phones out here. They're just not really necessary. But if you feel you can't live without one, there seem to be a couple of companies to go through... GuamCell or iconnect

I haven't seen any iphones out here, but then again, I haven't really seen many cell phones in general. Everyone pretty much has a landline and if you're on duty (at least with HSC-25) they give you a cell phone or pager to reach you if you're needed.

If you have any other Guam questions, feel free to PM me or Ben.

phrogpilot73

Looking at the links she provided, an iPhone would work in Guam since Guam uses the GSM spectrum. HOWEVER, the problem arises with getting an iPhone unlocked. Apple does not allow AT&T to unlock the iPhones, so they must remain on AT&T. However, there are third party unlockers out there - but Apple has shut those down by relocking the phones (and some reports involved phones turning into bricks) when software updates are released. I know it's a cool phone and all, but I would look at other ones until Apple allows AT&T to unlock them and/or supports the phone being unlocked.

I saw something a while back about the iPhone being put out by either TMobile or Vodaphone in Europe, so you might be able to get one of them - none of the European telecoms allow phones to be locked to their network (unless Apple strongarmed them). If you can't get one of those, I would suggest you look into an HTC Touch, which has some of the functionality/flair of the iPhone (albeit a wrapper over windows mobile), and is unlocked so you can use it on any network.

Just my $0.02...

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I would suggest you look into an HTC Touch, which has some of the functionality/flair of the iPhone (albeit a wrapper over windows mobile), and is unlocked so you can use it on any network.

Yeah, I'm working with the T-mobile Sidekick now... but it only works on t-mobile. And no service in Guam. It's nice to have IM's, e-mail, and the internet on my hip to check addresses, the weather, etc on the go. I've had a Sidekick since 2002 and am so addicted to the functionality... a normal cell-phone will seem like the dark-ages.

The iPhone seems super-sexy... and I've seen how to unlock them... but I just wish there was a system out there so I know even with an unlocked phone I'm not going to be paying $300 a month in usage charges.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I'm working with the T-mobile Sidekick now... but it only works on t-mobile. And no service in Guam. It's nice to have IM's, e-mail, and the internet on my hip to check addresses, the weather, etc on the go. I've had a Sidekick since 2002 and am so addicted to the functionality... a normal cell-phone will seem like the dark-ages.

Maybe you're not quite clear on where you're going (if going to Guam). Life in the tropics is different. A lot of that stuff doesn't matter. Why have the internet on your hip when you can go to the beach? The internet and email will be there when you get back.

Of course, my perspective is broader. I have a cell phone, and it's helpful, but I really don't understand the obsession w/ always having to be in contact. I don't really want to always be in contact. But to each his own.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
... I really don't understand the obsession w/ always having to be in contact. I don't really want to always be in contact. But to each his own.

It's not the always being in contact... it's having google at ones fingertips, movietimes... tomorrows flight schedule as soon as it is e-mailed out...

Although you are probably right, maybe I should just relax and enjoy the island when I get there... it's gonna be hard for a gadget junkie like me... ;)

And as for not having a cell phone at all.... I haven't had a landline since 2000! I'm just used to having a cell vs. not. Anyone at least know how the reception is on the island for normal mobile phones? I'm assuming it's such a small place there cant be too much trouble...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Maybe you're not quite clear on where you're going .... Life in the tropics is different. A lot of that stuff doesn't matter. Why have the internet on your hip when you can go to the beach?...
ABSOLUTELY!! Some of the best advice I've seen herein for a while.

GUAM is like life in The Territory was in the 1950's ... relax, kick back, sniff the hibiscus, take it easy ... good advice.

ALOHA ....

3mokesdu8.jpg
3mokesdu8.jpg

3mokesdr2.jpg
3mokesdr2.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not the always being in contact... it's having google at ones fingertips, movietimes... tomorrows flight schedule as soon as it is e-mailed out...

Although you are probably right, maybe I should just relax and enjoy the island when I get there... it's gonna be hard for a gadget junkie like me... ;)

Yeah, I hear you. There's lots of times having google can be handy. As for the schedule, keep in mind when you get to a fleet squadron, things slow down. It's not like flight school or the RAG. There's only a couple birds that will actually be up (if that) and you may know the rough a week ahead of time, especially if you work in Ops (but why would you want to?).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe you're not quite clear on where you're going (if going to Guam). Life in the tropics is different. A lot of that stuff doesn't matter. Why have the internet on your hip when you can go to the beach? The internet and email will be there when you get back.

Of course, my perspective is broader. I have a cell phone, and it's helpful, but I really don't understand the obsession w/ always having to be in contact. I don't really want to always be in contact. But to each his own.
Hey dude, I have been calling, why aren't you picking up?

Newman!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My personal favorite was when I moved to the place I was in the last year. I was behind the Enchanted Lakes hills in Lanikai (the ones everyone hikes up) and so my cell didn't work when at home.

"You called telling me to come in on Saturday? Huh, didn't get that message until I came into work on Monday."

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
And as for not having a cell phone at all.... I haven't had a landline since 2000! I'm just used to having a cell vs. not. Anyone at least know how the reception is on the island for normal mobile phones? I'm assuming it's such a small place there cant be too much trouble...

Most of us were in that boat. It's not bad, really. And as for reception... top complaint by the few that have cell phones is extremely poor reception.

Gatordev really hit it on the mark... life in the tropics is different. And it's awesome. :)

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I've been on Guam for almost 4 years this time, with a three year stint before. The iPhone, sadly enough, doesn't work here because it is locked via ATT. I have had a couple of services out here, but the best one by far has been GTA. iConnect has an issue with their billing. They deduct all minutes from your total regardless of time frame. Additionally to get out of the contract with them you have to pay the full balance of monthly payments (i.e. terminate 20 months early you pay for the 20 months).

GTA has been much better with their billing and to get out of the contract it is $200 per year you didn't use. GTA has blackberry service as well. I bought a triband blackberry on ebay that was unlocked and have full service through GTA. For my GTA service I pay $81 a month for 500 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited internet. No problem with connectivity on island.

Prepaid is pretty decent out here as well. I have two kids and a working wife, so we needed the cell phones, a lot of people go without them.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Purdue,

I would say the only reason you'd need a cell phone is if you're in a position like docpup. Once you get here you'll see that not having a cell is a luxury. If you do get a phone you'll likely have some reception issues in spots. It's hit or miss from what I have heard and experienced with the duty phones. You'll definitely have reception issues at the beach and hiking through the jungle... and really, why would you want to be anywhere else?

Also, like gator said, there is usually one or maybe two up aircraft at a time. You'll have a decent idea what events you're up for. Also, it is not uncommon to be AT WORK when the schedule is released. You can just look at it on paper or read it in your work email. And, if all of that isn't enough for you, you're going to deploy for 6-10 months at a time and not have a need for a cell phone. Save your $300 and buy the squadron a kegerator instead :icon_smil.

If you have any specific Guam/squadron questions shoot me a PM. Do it soon, though, because I'll be deploying soon.

Ben