• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guamanian Cell Phones?

teenapie

Purdue,

A good friend of mine uses an iphone here on Guam. First things first, you can't use it here if it's locked by AT&T. I was thinking of getting one, but can't get myself to pay the $600+ price tag for one an unlocked one on eBay.

Also, in regards to reception, I wouldn't suggest going with Guamcell. Guamcell recently was bought out along with Guam's first GSM carrier Hafatel, but both carriers are horrible. For the first GSM carrier on Guam, not much as changed as far a cell phone sites and service. Your best bet is to go with GTA (better known as mpulse). If I'm not mistaken you wouldn't have to purchase the data plan unless you wanted (and if GTA can support it) because of the phone being WIFI.

Lastly, from what I remember correctly, if you are coming here on active duty and should you deploy to sea or to the desert OR even PCS during your contract, the cancellation fee is waived.

Here's GTA's website if you want to get a feel for their rates: www.gta.net (for data plans check under "Blackberry")

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
All right, I'll put in my two cents here. Why not? I think Ben pretty much has the right idea here. You really don't need a cell phone on Guam. We got one when we first got to the island, mainly so that we could have a phone while we were moving in. We went with iConnect. Their phones suck (they represent the best technology of about 3 years ago) but all of their minutes include calling to the mainland which no other carrier could do. I researched a lot before I left S.D. and I learned that a Sprint cell phone from the states will work on Guam without roaming fees but it was tough to figure out exactly how it worked.

If all you're worried about is looking at the schedule, there's another really neat way to do that. Call the duty desk and say "This is Lieutenant blah-blah. What am I doing tomorow?" Then double check that as soon as you can.

Good luck and I'll see you in Guam.