• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growler Visit to the Cradle of Naval Aviation

Jamin'G

pilot
Howdy Ladies and Gents,

Just wanted to let all the Student Naval Aviators and Student Naval Flight Officers know that the finest Growler squadron in Whidbey (for those that are wondering, that would be the World Famous Scorpions of VAQ-132:)) is bringing a couple jets to Navy Pensacola this weekend. The initial plan is that we intend to take any interested parties to the jet for a walkaround. For those students interested in a future in TACAIR, and Growlers more specifically, this might provide a little insight into what our mission set is and what our day-to-day lives are like. Anyone from API, to Primary squadrons, to advanced squadrons is more than welcome to stop by.

We'll have two pilots and two NFO's on hand (all JOPA) to discuss the perspective of each role for those interested in showing up. As of right now, we plan to be at the jets between 1300-1500 local on Friday 27 April. If this changes during the week or enroute, I can provide an update via this thread. Any futher questions, just ask!

Cheers,
Jamin'G

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jamin'G, 'nothin I'd rather do this weekend, but I'm stuck on the left coast.

I remember a weekend back in early '57 when I was in Primary...a fleet F-4D Skyray piloted View attachment 10817by an ENS, hosted a "show and tell" for the flight students (like yours). We were in AWE, and when he departed in a high-performance climb (the Skyray held the time to climb record then), I decided that's what I wanted in the fleet!

Alas, I got jet advanced, but by the time I winged in mid-'58, Skyrays had been retired (endurance problems, being replaced by F-8 Crusaders), and my first Squadron was VF-94 w/ FJ-4 Furys. Worked out great though.
VA-94 FJ-4.jpg
Weekend visits like yours are great motivators for all...SNA/SNFO/IPs & our Troops!:cool:
BzB

BUDU

As an SNFO leaning towards Growlers, this sounds fantastic. Thanks for the heads up, sir. Not sure I would have found out about it otherwise.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You guys gonna fly em too? So did "jammin" end up sticking? I hope it did....too good of a callsign to lose

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You guys gonna fly em too? So did "jammin" end up sticking? I hope it did....too good of a callsign to lose
Hey, all us T-6 studs are seat qualified and have our own gear! Wouldn't that be a sweet deal. Hope I can make it out this weekend, sounds awesome.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Must be nice to still have funded cross countries.

Jamin'G

pilot
Cool picture, BusyBee! That's classic Naval Aviation right there. Great to have guys like you on the board for insight into the Old School of Naval Aviation. Definitely a proud heritage. As to the visit, I hope we get a bunch of guys who have an opportunity to stop by. I know I would have loved to do something like that when I was going through the program. Only thing that ever stopped by when I was in primary was an F-22, and that's not on the selection sheet last I checked...

Definitely come check it out BUDU. We're trying to get the word out to some of the OPS departments; and as far as I'm concerned, the more, the merrier.

Good to hear from ya, John! Hope Charlies East is treating ya well. Saw the photos of the promotion, that's pretty kick ass. I like your skippers style. As to the callsign, I've been through three since the Meridian days, so the days of Jammin (or Jamin based on my name) are long past. One of these days when I'm out Norfolk way I'll have to give ya a ring. Until then, keep the rubber side down...

Cheers

EDIT: P.S. Missed some of the posts above. Wlawr and leo, glad to hear you guys can show. Pourts, it is good to have funding, that I won't deny. ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see the World Famous Mustin Beach O'Club scheduled time in there.....I think you missed that part during your planning session.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good to hear from ya, John! Hope Charlies East is treating ya well. Saw the photos of the promotion, that's pretty kick ass. I like your skippers style. As to the callsign, I've been through three since the Meridian days, so the days of Jammin (or Jamin based on my name) are long past. One of these days when I'm out Norfolk way I'll have to give ya a ring. Until then, keep the rubber side down...

It's been awesome, definitely enjoying it. Sadly my year and a half or two vacation @ Miramar had to come to an end, but it's been great here and we love it....that and the fleet is 1000 times better than anything I ever did before. I'm jealous of your PNW adventures, the folks told me it's been pretty fantastic out there recently. Let me know if you guys come up this way ever. That and you all should consider getting real jobs and joining an airwing. Just a thought :) Take care Ben!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wanted to let all the Student Naval Aviators and Student Naval Flight Officers know that the second-finest EA community in Whidbey (and so on and so forth)
FTFY. Some of us aren't privileged to kick it old school.

JK, have fun out there. :D

Jamin'G

pilot
ea6bflyer,

Definitely in the plans. We are proceeding VFR direct post show-and-tell. The hours on that one are just a little more flexible. :)

John,

Glad to hear the fleet's going well. It has been beautiful here lately. We just returned from Korea, and it's great to see the PNW in it's Springtime glory. As to the airwing thing, somebody's gotta keep the Air Force straight. ;) In their defense though, the Air Force LFE's and Red Flags are pretty good training.

Nittany,

Ha ha. Touche. Should be a good time. Been a while since I've seen the ol' Sunshine State. Looking forward to it, and giving the studs a chance to tour a fleet jet.

Cheers!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Damn, now how am I gonna knock the gear out of battery in P'Cola? Awesome opportunity for the students, I always loved when someone would bring the fleet birds around...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Good on ya for putting out raw info on here instead of it filtering through three levels of junk to the students. There was supposed to be an E-6B in Corpus that was on the flight sked but never showed and no one knew why.

I never saw a gray aircraft up close and inside until Advanced in the fleet fly in at KNDZ. That's a god damn great experience there.