• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growler RAG?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm not a G guy, so take this all with a grain of salt.

When I was out in Fallon last year, there was a squadron of brand new Growlers out there BFMing their little hearts out. One of the pilots mentioned that while they don't do as much fighter/BFM stuff as we do, they still train to it. I've heard the VR routes up in the PNW are second-to-none. And remember that the EA-18 was designed to send HARM downrange---not just 'trons. It's a sweet jet, and the mission sounds pretty cool.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone here explain why/how the G has a higher max trap weight than the Rhino? Pod weight?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We recently had that discussion and on one of the boats, they got a waiver to land Rhinos and Growlers at the Growler max trap weight. It think it boiled down to the $$ required to do all the NAVAIR testing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
We recently had that discussion and on one of the boats, they got a waiver to land Rhinos and Growlers at the Growler max trap weight. It think it boiled down to the $$ required to do all the NAVAIR testing.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Very interesting. I figured it was due to the extra weight of the pods reducing the number of looks at the ball, but I didn't know if the G was somehow strengthened to take the extra 4k. Thanks for the info!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the VAQ-129 EA-6B side is very close to shutting down. Has VMAQT-3 stood up and are USMC FR-ECMOs & FR-Pilots headed there yet?

-ea6bflyr ;)

OscarMyers

None
I was looking at the Growler specs, and it says that it carries an ATFLIR. Are they actually deploying with these or is this just a pipe dream. Last time I cruised with legacy Hornets in 08 our AT's had to play musical Flir pods with the gear we had and left them on station when we headed home. Also the NFO that gave our community brief today said something about adding a JSOW capability to it. Any insight to this expansion of mission?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was looking at the Growler specs, and it says that it carries an ATFLIR. Are they actually deploying with these or is this just a pipe dream. Last time I cruised with legacy Hornets in 08 our AT's had to play musical Flir pods with the gear we had and left them on station when we headed home. Also the NFO that gave our community brief today said something about adding a JSOW capability to it. Any insight to this expansion of mission?
They're wired for all of the E/F stuff (minus the wingtip LAU-7s), but I haven't heard of anyone carrying any targeting pods. The J-Weps capability has always been the plan.

OscarMyers

None
They're wired for all of the E/F stuff (minus the wingtip LAU-7s), but I haven't heard of anyone carrying any targeting pods. The J-Weps capability has always been the plan.

Hearing stuff like that makes me want to go Growlers more and more everyday. That community brief had me at BFM :cool:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know the VAQ-129 EA-6B side is very close to shutting down. Has VMAQT-3 stood up and are USMC FR-ECMOs & FR-Pilots headed there yet?

-ea6bflyr ;)
Good buddy of mine classes up at -129 on the 2nd of Nov. He's a Marine Prowler pilot type.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hearing stuff like that makes me want to go Growlers more and more everyday. That community brief had me at BFM :cool:

You do realize that BFM isn't the primary focus of Growlers right? I mean EA-18... That is like a Marine saying- well I really liked BFM and I hear Harriers do some BFM so I want Harriers...

Serious question as I do not know- What does an NFO do during BFM besides not get sick and try to keep sight of the bandit?

OscarMyers

None
You do realize that BFM isn't the primary focus of Growlers right? I mean EA-18... That is like a Marine saying- well I really liked BFM and I hear Harriers do some BFM so I want Harriers...

Serious question as I do not know- What does an NFO do during BFM besides not get sick and try to keep sight of the bandit?

Meant it more as the icing on the cake. Guess it came off a little backwards.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You wouldn't know that by looking at the G RAG syllabus, where you'll spend half of the tactics phase learning A/A.

Renegade One

None
Realizing that BFM isn't the primary focus of the Growler community (I guess if you get there in the real world...you may be doing it wrong...), there were, and still are, entire communities of NFOs who can give you chapter and verse.
It's usually less about "the bogey" and more about "the other bogey/ies"...[they work in packs], your wingman/men positions, energy and fuel state management/awareness, general SA, sometimes "directing the fight" (that SA thing...), awareness of best bug-out headings. It's a rich art form, to be sure. On bad days, "two sets of eyeballs" have usually proven better than one.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Which brings up a good question.......how much do the G folks do BFM outside of the RAG syllabus? I know folks I knew who went to -129 talked about doing KW dets, BFM and Fighter Weps, but I have heard in the last couple years this has changed. Either way, my impression was that they didn't do much of that beyond the RAG